TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

Those gifs could make a case for or against. You can see the legs moving up and down, but at the same time GSP is still working and the movement alone could cause the leg slip.

The last one, to be honest, looks like BJ was trying to grab his leg with his right hand but couldn't free it up.

That was Bryan Alvarez's opinion. He talked about pulling rubber guard on an assistant instructor in BJJ. The instructor proceeded to posture up to defend it. Alvarez's legs slid down.

But, ya know, BJ Penn's life was in danger.

The first round was about as close to a 10-8 grapple fucking as you could come without actually latching onto a tight submission or scoring a big knockdown. Unfortunately, it's one fight where the 10 point system really did not translate well. In just about anyone's eyes, I don't think a case could be made that Karo's second round was equal to Kim's first, but they had to be scored equally. It's part of the reason I like Shooto's half point system, which gives a bit more flexibility in scoring. While I don't get too upset with the idea of a draw (as i think even rounds are more common than as scored), the idea that two judges gave Karo the third round for 2 takedowns and a glancing jumping knee is ridiculous. And it's depressing to think that to win the entire fight, Karo only needed to score 4-5 takedowns and attempt 1 submission in 15 minutes.

EDIT- The mouthpiece spitting and fence grabbing made it a bit harder to take, too.

Get bent, Kim didn't deserve to win that fight. He struggled against a poorly shape Karo. If you actually scored round 1 10-8 clearly you're sucking Kim's dick.

I had it a draw.

Karo deserved a win even less, in or out of shape, and I didn't say I scored it 10-8.

Would it help if I put tags around the more important parts of my posts?

[bLACKFIGHTER]Eat my asshole, EHME.[/bLACKFIGHTER]

Hey! I only cheer for A-level black fighters, and black fighters with great potential (I.E. Jon Jones, John Howard, King Mo and Rumble)...

I got love for all races to! When did BJ Penn(who along with Rampage is my favorite MMA fighter), Shinya Aoki, JZ Calvancante, Matt Wiman, Clay Guida, and Cain Velasquez all become black? There are more to amigo!

By the way Matt Arroyo getting robbed against Dan Cramer was the biggest pile of shit... Then again I'm very biased, because me and Matt are e-buddies.

Sorry to be late to the Karo-Kim conversation, but Lei I think you are spot on with the scoring comment. I think the round Karo won was much different in terms of "winning the round" than Kim.

Although I would probably agree too that Kim did not do a whole lot to win the fight either.

I do think Kim was robbed though.

BJ Penn has accepted GSP's challenge to a third fight in the summer in his latest blog entry with the popular opinion being that if the fight actually goes down* he'll vacate the LW title.

*Whether Dana wants to legally sanction a murder is in question here.

The problem with making this fight is that in order to properly market it they'd have to make GSP look bad. By making the vaseline usage the selling-point they'd automatically be calling into question GSP's ethics as as a champion but also pretty much be saying "BJ would have won if it weren't for this" which we all know to be false. From what I can tell, at least in terms of forums I've visited a good 75% of Penn fans are being sensible about this and realize that GSP was the better fighter.

I personally don't think it'll happen. UFC wouldn't be able to sell it properly and even if it did happen the result would be the same. It just sucks it's come this far.

That's another problem. There's been this huge debate about BJ getting the shot and how it totally fucks up the divisions if he wins. Not only would a third fight screw over Kenny and Thiago it would also fuck up what I view is the UFC's #1 pick for a NYE fight in GSP vs Anderson.

BJ Penn has accepted GSP's challenge to a third fight in the summer in his latest blog entry with the popular opinion being that if the fight actually goes down* he'll vacate the LW title.

*Whether Dana wants to legally sanction a murder is in question here.

Why would GSP want another fight? He's clearly been the better man twice. Move on to other challengers.

Because he's taking heat in the media for it and this hurts him (albeit in a very minor way) as far as public image goes.

Plus, I think as far as GSP sees it this is just BJ using anything he can to continue the shit-talking.

Most Penn fans don't. I think 50% of BJ accepting this challenge stems from pride. There's no way after the ass-beating he took that he'd let GSP say "I'll fight him again the result will be worse" and let is slide.

Bad Idea Baaaad Idea. I am as big a BJ Penn fan as anyone else, but this shouldn't happen. We have two deserving contenders waiting in the wings for each weight division, and the fight wasn't even close.......fuck.

This has gone too far.

The only thing that stops this is Dana or Lorenzo stepping in and telling BJ to drop it. Penn ranted and raved for God knows how long about his intentions to move up to 185 and take on Silva until Dana stated flat-out "I don't care how much B.J Penn bitches and whines, I'm not making this fight" and BJ has not said word one since then. I think the relationship between Dana and BJ is enough that if Dana, even as a personal favor asked him to stop he would.

The only way this fight happens is if GSP and Penn both lose to their challengers.

Right now, it's just pride of these two causing them to say this shit. GSP is feeling insulted over the vaselinegate, and Penn just had his pride absolutely ripped to shreds. Of course he's gonna want a rematch to prove himself. You generally don't take an assbeating like that and don't want revenge.

Rich Franklin wanted that rematch with Anderson Silva to prove himself.

He doesn't want a third match now.

UFC will not make this fight unless neither has anywhere to go in a year or so. Dana has said he does not believe vaseline had any impact on the fight, and thinks Penn didn't have a shot watching it take place. There's also the fact that after the grubbing GSP gave Penn, that you have to be worried about Penn's health. It could have been worse, but it's not like Penn wasn't beaten heavily. Do you really want to see a second time around of that?

Yeah, the fact that he's got one of the best chins in MMA disguises the fact that he's still got the same skull thickness and brain cavity size as everybody else. Unless there's some Fujita-esque medical claims to back this up otherwise.

Hey, they made Tito/Shamrock III when there was really no need for it. Why not Penn/St. Pierre III for free on Spike (and Rogers Sportsnet in Canada)? Nothing like seeing a live homicide on free TV...

It could have been worse, but it's not like Penn wasn't beaten heavily. Do you really want to see a second time around of that?

Yes, yes I would. I wouldn't want to pay for it, but I'd really like to see BJ get humbled again.