TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 94 - Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn II

After the New Year we'll finalize the contest, for those still interested.

I admit - I started it waaaayyyy too early.

Suggestion- Send out a mass PM to everybody on the original list and see if they're down as I'm sure there are people rockin' the Team GSP/Penn sigs who've actually forgotten they're participating in a bet.

"How am I trolling?"

Seriously, that's what you're doing right now. I've said MANY, MANY TIMES that BJ winning won't surprise me. Fucks sake.

I love it when you're angry!

Motivation.jpg

Seriously though, I'm glad the UFC until now to make this match.

Although there are other fighters who have earned their crack at GSP, like Thiago Alves. This fight at this point in time is the most interesting fight.

There is no one at lightweight that is on BJ's level, so there is no point in stay in the division and possibly ending young fighters with potential careers. And at the same time there is so many questions about BJ Vs. GSP that need to be answer... Can GSP beat BJ Penn when he isn't gassed? Can BJ keep up with the pace of GSP in the later rounds? Can GSP strike with BJ? Can BJ be able to do more in his guard when GSP has top position?

Regardless of who I perfer as a fighter, the best scenario for the UFC is for BJ to win, so GSP can work his way back to contention making a 3rd fight which will be even more of a bigger fight.

You're insane.

GSP winning = Title shots for Alves and Florian in seperate divisions

BJ winning = One of two deserving challengers having to wait almost a full year, competition-wise before getting their shot

From a business perspective BJ winning gives a third match but to say BJ winning is good for MMA is absolutely wrong.

You're insane.

GSP winning = Title shots for Alves and Florian in seperate divisions

BJ winning = One of two deserving challengers having to wait almost a full year, competition-wise before getting their shot

From a business perspective BJ winning gives a third match but to say BJ winning is good for MMA is absolutely wrong.

I think if BJ wins, he will most likely vacate the lightweight title setting up possibly Sanchez/Florian for the vacate LW title, or even possibly Sherk/Florian 2.

I think whoever wins is good for MMA. The whole point of MMA is to see who the best fighters in the world are, therefore whoever wins is great for MMA. To be honest, I'm more interested in Alves/BJ more so then Alves/GSP.

GSP/Alves are similar in a lot of ways, where as BJ/Alves are two different fighters... And I find it that when you have 2 fighters with different fighting styles, it makes for a more interesting fight.

EDIT: Yes I am drunk right now, I know it's pathetic. Christmas Eve and it's not even noon.

Oh shut the fuck up, your fag-love for GSP is bordering on the ridiculous. Good for MMA? What makes you the expert on what's good for MMA? How is BJ winning BAD for MMA? You're romanticizing this fight way too much.

It's a fight between two of the best P4P fighters in the world in their prime when they're at their most dominant. That's it. Stop looking at the grand, sweeping, huge implications this has for the MMA world, because there are none. It's just an awesome fucking fight, and that's it. We've had title fights on hold for much longer due to the reality show.

PLEASE GEORGES WIN FOR THE GOOD OF THE SPORT! WE NEEEEEED YOU!

Did Georges ever respond to the naked pictures you sent him?

Guess I should've put "In my opinion BJ wining is bad for MMA". Could have saved you from that embarassing little rant you just went on.

Also, congrats because what you just pulled off was about a million times more immature then anything EHME has done. Kudos.

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be you for all your man-love for someone you've never met before.

I'm not saying this to diss each and every fan

Women you can ride, man be a man!

Shake my hand, and make it a FIRM shake

Say, "Whattup Ice Cube?" and then break

Cause if you're hangin there I'ma tell you loud and clear

Get off my my dick nigga, and tell your bitch to come here

No matter how this match turns out I hope Kenny gets his shot first. He beat Huerta in a match that Dana said was for the #1 contendership. But since he didn't want to sit on the shelf he took the Stevenson fight which was for AGAIN the #1 contender spot.

Thiago can wait a minute before getting his title shot

He'll be waiting more then a minute. If BJ wins he'll get Florian at the earliest I'd say April but likely May. Assuming he gets through that injury free Thiago will be looking at an August/September title shot which is a LOOOOONG time for a #1 contender to wait when there's no reality shows holding a champ back.

Beating Hughes was a big deal for Thiago, but not making weight really hurt him as a #1 contender. The fight with Kos sealed it. Florian has been on a killing streak lately. And his Sherk loss will always be in question with Sherk having fail a drug test (granted, the next fight)

While I am a firm team Penn supporter, I don't like the idea of a guy with 2 titles. With TUF coaching holding up title fights every other season it's long enough in between title fights.

Evans vs Bisping, Okami vs Franklin, and Jardine vs Chuck don't come off like main event matches to me. I know you can't do a title match every month, but seems to be too big of a gap in between title matches now.

You'd piss off a lot of people in the process. Anyway, Matt is due for Serra in April, and Dana has all but guaranteed Florian and Thiago getting the next shot. Dana wouldn't wait around for April's result before giving Matt Hughes a shot. Also, if by some miracle BJ wins this fight, nobody in their right mind would give Hughes a shot at anything other than getting assraped till BJ decides to finish him off.

You'd piss off a lot of people in the process. Anyway, Matt is due for Serra in April, and Dana has all but guaranteed Florian and Thiago getting the next shot. Dana wouldn't wait around for April's result before giving Matt Hughes a shot. Also, if by some miracle BJ wins this fight, nobody in their right mind would give Hughes a shot at anything other than getting assraped till BJ decides to finish him off.

You honestly think it will be a mircale if BJ wins?

Hughes isn't getting a title shot coming off of back to back crushing defeats. If he beats Serra and gets a serious quality win I have no problem with him getting another shot, but it's not going to be for a while

Hughes/BJ 2 did big business, they need a rubber match since Matt is the only guy to have finished Penn, and Hughes isn't entirely out of the mix since his losses are to the #1 contender and the champ. If he beats Serra, who *is* the former WW champ, and given his legacy, it should be an easy sell. And Hughes is probably the guy, next to GSP (or Silva) that BJ wants to fight most. Florian and Alves can both wait and another impressive performance from both can only help their cause as contenders.

Hughes has all the looks of a former champ on a serious decline.

If BJ were to beat the best WW in the world, I would have zero interest in seeing him pummel a washed-up Hughes.

I've been avoiding this thread, because for the most part it really seems to be the two "camps" here taking potshots at each other.

However, BJ Penn winning the WW title and holding both titles is *BAD* for UFC. Doesn't means it's a killer, but it's bad.

UFC tries to get a somewhat cycle nature to their titles. BJ Penn will at most time three times in 2009. You are looking at him winning the title. Then, from there you get probably one more title match, MAYBE two depending on his condition.

So, which title do you go with? No one else in either division is a strong marketable name really. Do you go with Florian? He's been waiting longer. Or do you go with Alves? He's been on a tear.

And from that point, how long does the other guy have to wait? More specifically, how long does UFC have to wait to book a title match in the other division? Will Penn fight three times this year? What if he gets hurt? Where do you go there? Do you interim BOTH titles?

More specifically, lets say GSP goes off on a big win streak. In UFC< usually all you need is about two wins to get a title shot. GSP could get that by early next year. UFC sees dollar signs, they make the third fight. And now the guy that didn't get his title shot before, is *REALLY* fucked over, because GSP swoops in with higher priority.

It's bad for business to tie up both divisions like that. Thankfully, LW is the weakest marketing power division in UFC, but it's still a bad idea when BJ Penn should have enough drawing power to main event medium level shows by himself.