TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Bionic Commando: Rearmed

So, after having a major dilemma in mind over whether to buy Braid or this (I'm still short on money, but I could spare $10-$15 for an awesome download game), and playing both demos, I went for Bionic Commando.

And it's awesome. I mean, for crying out loud the dialogue alone is terrific--full of geeky in-jokes and references that make you just feel the love. Despite the fact that I never finished the NES game--because it's damn brutal hard, the changes made to this version of the game make it superior to the original as well as more user-friendly.

Jeremy Parish's 1up review:

Like its exceptional soundtrack, the NES version of Bionic Commando is basically perfect despite its technological limitations. Which isn't to say it's flawless, exactly -- but rather that the core game mechanics, overall structure, and individual level designs work together so well that the game remains compelling, addictive, and challenging 20 years later. Rather than changing these foundational elements and risking spoiling the chemistry that made the older game an instant classic, Rearmed developer Grin built on them to create something fundamentally consistent, yet capable of meeting the standards of younger gamers who need a bit more flash and "oomph" in their games...

...remakes of Rearmed's caliber are uncommon; it ranks up there with Metroid: Zero Mission and Mega Man: Powered Up as the best of the best, the standard by which to judge all others. Given the quality of the core mission, the cooperative multiplayer, the copious hidden content, the expansive optional modes, and the exhaustive in-game database, Rearmed is a game that could easily sell for full retail price and seem like a good deal. That it's on offer for a mere sawbuck (or $15, for you unlucky PC fans) should go down in history as one of gaming's best deals. If you enjoy a well-crafted action game, you'd be remiss in skipping Rearmed -- even if you couldn't care less about NES games

I do have my complaints (which could be viewed as weaksauce ones)--it, like many other Capcom action platformers, has rather annoying final levels. Seriously, like, eff section A!! However, there's so much great content available in it, and the levels are so fun to replay, it's worth putting up with that minor gripe.