TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Castle Crashers

bannerdefault46mt3.jpg

I know that we rarely have separate threads for Xbox Live Arcade games, but I feel that this game deserves one. To be honest, the game wasn't even on my radar until a week ago, when many of my Live friends began getting really hyped up in anticipation of its release (which came around 3 A.M. Pacific time today). After playing the demo- I'll have points for the full game tomorrow- I can safely say the hype is justified.

Are you a fan of 2D side scrolling beat-em-ups? A fan of rescuing princesses? A fan of gorgeous hand-drawn art? If you answered "yes" to any of the preceding questions, Castle Crashers is probably for you. If you're unsure, like I was, give the demo a try.

Since I have just recently discovered how cool the game is myself, I will copy and paste the detailed description of it from GameFAQs user Grey-Hawk07:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage....;topic=44852580

Ok first the game is huge. Go to Gametrailers.com and watch their movies. From the opening at the castle, to the War Machine, to the giant Barbarian holding a spiked door Boss is one level, and there are twenty of those in the game. Each Level will have at least one of Behemoth's legendarily designed bosses.

This game has a 99 level RPG system with stats given at each level to go into Strength, Agility, Magic and Defense. It has 26 playable characters in total, each with it's own brand of magic, some ****s do share magic but alot are unique. Known magic ****s so far: Alien Hominid's Gun, Ice, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Dark, Bone, Ninja, Earth, Arrows/bombs, Killer Bees.

40 Unlockable weapons with various stat bonuses and level requirements like any other RPG. These can be bought from shops scattered around the world, dropped off enemies & bosses, found in the environment (like a pitchfork in a haystack), buried (you can buy a spade and dig for treasure ala Zelda) or hidden in the scenary

Animal Orbs: These are familiars that you find throughout the game and can be equipped to follow you around permanently. They include a Dog that will find spots for buried treasure, A giant chicken (The behemoth) that increases stats and Ozzy Ozbourne's worst nightmare: A bat that will randomly munch on opponent's heads.

Ability unlocks: you will get new combos as you level up but also as you invest points into your various attributes. For example putting points into agility might get you a launching spiral lunge while putting points in strength would get you a slash that lifts your opponent into the air. (Those moves do exist, I'm only guessing that those particular combos relate to stats)

Loads of other items, like potions that revive you when dead, bow and arrows, bombs and the PBJ sandwich that makes you a roidal fist swinging lunatic for 10 seconds, all assigned to the B button.

Most importantly 4 Player Online and Local co-op and you can mix it up anyway you like (I.e. 2 players playing locally at house A, playing online with 1 player at house B and the last one at house C). Revive your fallen allies with CPR!

Story based game that has you searching for 4 princesses to rescue, (when you rescue a Princess you have to fight your remaining team mates to the death for a cheeky bit of nooky with the royal gal) and retrieve a magic obelisk from an evil Warlock.

Fully Hand drawn, beautiful artwork by Dan Paladin with a truly wicked sense of humour throughout, all rendered in HD quality.

Controls work with light slash, heavy slash, jump and support item, while holding down the right trigger turns each into a magic move: Summon magic (Clouds, blasts, massive icicle storm), Magic slash, Magic Projectile and Magic Super Jump.

Mini games and other goodies scattered throughout the game such as mountable creatures to devour your enemies, Racing through forests on Spastic Boweled Deer whilst being chase by an enormous troll.

Versus mode to kick the snot out of your mates and Arena mode which pits you against a never ending army of AI opponents untill you die.

This game has been developed by a small independant company called the Behemoth. They're a team of about 7 guys working overtime to bring you this project. As you can see from all this, Castle Crashers is a game which has been filled with as many features and modes as Tom Fulp and his team could fit in it, or wanted to see, as gamers themselves. If you have the points (Price announced August 25th) then Microsoft already has your money, it's about showing your support for a company who has a rare ethos when it comes to making their games, and that's generosity to the player. Support the development of good games, and buy Castle Crashers.

Reviews:

Gamespot review (8.5/10)

IGN review (9/10)

I couldn't connect with various friends earlier, except Thoth for like 30 seconds. But I finally got to play online with my friend Devin all the way through. 4 and 1/2 to 5 hours or so.

Amazing game that I can't wait to play again. I won't spoil anything, but the ending is the greatest thing in the history of gaming. It's so fucking trippy. The whole game is like one giant acid trip as is.

No. There are 4 preset characters:

- Red Knight: lightning magic

- Green Knight: poison magic

- Orange Knight: fire magic

- Blue Kight: ice magic

You can also unlock more characters as you progress. You can level up each of those to 99. I got the orange knight to 17 after one 2 player playthrough. You can do co-op with up to 4 people, or you can play solo. There are also 20-something animal orbs, which are animals that follow you and have different powers like attacks, finding hidden items, etc.

I'm finding Arena more fun than it probably should be. 4 matches, 4 wins. 36 to go for that achievement.

Really good, fun little game. I'd heard it often compared to Guardian Heroes, but there's little to that other than leveling up, medieval theme, and unlockable enemy characters.

I'm a level 23-ish red knight with most of my skill points dumped into magic. Frying 3-4 baddies at once with lightning is so damn satisfying.

Oh, and I'm silver at the moment, but I stumbled across a one-month xbox live card that I'd been given when my box conked out, so I could go gold for a while. Any folks maybe want to get a game together Monday night?

Also, any tips for that dragon in Lava World? I hadn't quite gotten the hang of what to do before I ran out of potions and got knocked out.

Oh, and XBLA just has been awesome this month. Bionic Commando, Braid (which I've yet to get), this, and Galaga Legions (which I hear nothing but great things about). To think some fools paid 60 bucks for Too Human this month!!

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah this game is great and it's pretty funny, too. I played as the red knight for a while until the trial ended. Maybe this will finally entice me to buy some MS points and get a couple things on Live.

Dowloaded the demo and thought it was hilarious. The openning with your character headbanging to the tavern band got me grinning, and the interactions between you and the environment (going down the fish to get another weapon for example) are memorable enough to stick in your head. I'll probably download the whole game once I scrape a few bucks together to buy some more points.

I picked up Castle Crashers...I think I'm level 17 on the Blue Knight and just now increasing magic :( I didn't know it was the most powerful attack until like level 15 when I went back to the castle for the first time.

Also, I'm missing that golden spyglass and having to search every world to find it, that kinda blows.

I picked up Castle Crashers...I think I'm level 17 on the Blue Knight and just now increasing magic :( I didn't know it was the most powerful attack until like level 15 when I went back to the castle for the first time.

Also, I'm missing that golden spyglass and having to search every world to find it, that kinda blows.

The Spyglass is in the Industrial Castle.