TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Noah Fentz

Wrestling RPG

It's high time I explained what brought me here in the first place. I know I've given some hell and gotten some hell, and it's all well and good. A few months ago, I was combing through some old stuff after I moved and I came across something I thought you would all enjoy. Now, I didn't belong to a wrestling board then, so I searched around for the one I thought best suited my discovery.

About 20 years ago, I began developing games. A few today are in the publication process (don't ask, I can't tell), but my favorite of all of them is my wrestling RPG. At the time, it was very marketable, yet incomplete. By the time I felt it was finished, it was too late and a few wrestling RPGs had been published and the various game companies weren't interested. It has been hidden in a moving box ever since.

So, I came here to share it with you. The material I'm releasing today (in sample form) is all © 2008 and is not to be distributed or sold without my express written permission. You may use it for personal use only.

The concept is simple. Create a wrestler with every stat, move, strength, weakness, etc. possibly imaginable. You then compete in one-on-one matches, tag, six-man tag, battle royales, etc. Anything is possible, any type of match is possible.

Today, I'll release a few pages for you to check out. If this generates enough interest, I'll scan the entire rulebook and offer help and support to TSM members.

Below you'll find the matrices and tables for matches, a page from the moves list (over 300), special assets, character sheet, and ring area.

post-10997-1220505233_thumb.jpgpost-10997-1220505250_thumb.jpgpost-10997-1220505267_thumb.jpgpost-10997-1220505301_thumb.jpgpost-10997-1220505312_thumb.jpg

It says Thesz, he just writes his z's with that line in the middle for some reason.

I do that too, it's a style thing. Also I put an underscore beneath my 1's so they look like upside-down T's.

Ahh..my bad then.

*shrug*

Seems decent enough of an idea, can't help but think I've seen it before. Somewhere in an old PWI that some company promoted where you created a wrestler and did all of this sort of stuff.

Best of luck.

Some people do that with 7's as well. I think it's to avoid confusing z's with 2's and 7's with 1's.. which can easily happen with some peoples writing. :)

I do the 7 one every now and then.. depending on how I write my one's.

The Z thing after looking at it this morning, I could see. Last night I was tired as all hell and couldn't really make it out..

Seems decent enough of an idea, can't help but think I've seen it before. Somewhere in an old PWI that some company promoted where you created a wrestler and did all of this sort of stuff.

There were two similar things advertised in PWI. One was the IWA (Imaginary Wrestling Federation), which was a strat-based mail-in RPG that costed a minimum of $5 or so a cycle (which was about 3 weeks) where you created a character and gave them a moveset from the IWA's list, each of which had a varying point value. The only way to win was to out-score the opponent, though if you chose a move that could lead to a disqualification (manager interference, refusing to rope break, hidden spike, lowblow, etc.) in your arsenal there's the possibility that you could lose via DQ. It was alright, but it's basically just an e-fed that's played by mail and costs money.

The other was a card/die game called Champions of the Galaxy. It was alright, but nothing really worth playing. It began and ended my card game/RPG phase, though I did create a character or two to put into my deck.

Honestly, kudos to the guys who put these types of things together.. but I can't be bothered to play something like this unless it's online or run off of a CPU. =\ EWR is as far as I go.

So, I came here to share it with you. The material I'm releasing today (in sample form) is all © 2008 and is not to be distributed or sold without my express written permission. You may use it for personal use only.

Na son, my street soldiers are all ready out in gaming shop parking lots hustlin. Fuck an express written permission.

I remember playing a web game in 2000 or 2001 called "Wrestling Stock Exchange" where you had like 10 000 points at the start to invest in wrestlers. Main-eventers' shares like Rock, Austin or HHH would be like 400 points a share while shares for lower midcarders on indy wrestlers could be bought in thousands. Depending on his push or how many shares each wrestlers sold, your stock would go up or down. It didn't last long (because it's a freakin' wrestling-themed stock exchange game), but I just knew that my worthless Brock Lesnar shares were actually a sitting goldmine.

Even though EWR could be repetitive, it was a great game that you could play without seeing time passing. I don't know how many hours I've wasted to build a promotion from the ground up.

Even though EWR could be repetitive, it was a great game that you could play without seeing time passing. I don't know how many hours I've wasted to build a promotion from the ground up.

Have you tried any versions of TEW? It's more complicated than EWR, obviously, but it's a more well rounded game.

I played COTG for years...If you got over some of hte faults it was fun. This game looks kind of like it but...more statey.

On TEW, this has come up a bunch of times...Some people just don't like the degree of control and difficulty. The new TEW is haaard.

EWR is easy, and I don't think it has much in the way of day to day control. Plus it's free. That helps.

I can say that once you set it up, my game is a breeze to run matches. Everything is factored in, including ref stats, contention for title matches, and crowd responses.

During a match, faces can draw energy from the crowd as bonuses and heels can use deception to get away with illegal tactics.

I tried the TEW demo.. way too involved for me. I loved the simplicity of EWR.

Does anyone remember TNM? That sim was awesome. Some friends and I ran an efed off of that sucker for over 10 years - from mid/late high school to just past the end of University when we all realized that careers and jobs can't afford us the free time we used to have. =\

I remember playing a web game in 2000 or 2001 called "Wrestling Stock Exchange" where you had like 10 000 points at the start to invest in wrestlers. Main-eventers' shares like Rock, Austin or HHH would be like 400 points a share while shares for lower midcarders on indy wrestlers could be bought in thousands. Depending on his push or how many shares each wrestlers sold, your stock would go up or down. It didn't last long (because it's a freakin' wrestling-themed stock exchange game), but I just knew that my worthless Brock Lesnar shares were actually a sitting goldmine.

This would so interest me.

Am I to assume then that no one is interested in this? I stand by my product as one of the best wrestling games around. It is a d20/d100 game of dice rolling, but gameplay is fast-paced and frenzied, especially when matches get tight.

I'll scan and post the material in a couple of days and post it in its entirety. The only thing I don't have is the core rules, so I'll be writing them and posting them, too. (That's the reason I'd like to know the level of interest, because it will be some work.)

Thanks.

I had a demo of TNM7, it seemed like less of a game than TEW is. It was fun for a while, but the demo was enough for me.

Yeah TNM was PURE sim.

Am I to assume then that no one is interested in this? I stand by my product as one of the best wrestling games around. It is a d20/d100 game of dice rolling, but gameplay is fast-paced and frenzied, especially when matches get tight.

I'll scan and post the material in a couple of days and post it in its entirety. The only thing I don't have is the core rules, so I'll be writing them and posting them, too. (That's the reason I'd like to know the level of interest, because it will be some work.)

Thanks.

There aren't many people left here that give a shit about wrestling, so good product or not, you're probably only going to find limited interest. Sorry.

Oh man...I had With Authority! on my PC. I wouldn't be surprised if I blew over 100 bucks on it, buying various decks and stuff. I had this awesome Benoit deck where he only used basic moves, and I usually made my opponent submit with an armbar! Good times.

I always wanted that WWF RPG game, but could never find anywhere.

Thanks.

There aren't many people left here that give a shit about wrestling, so good product or not, you're probably only going to find limited interest. Sorry.

Its amazing how far TSM has come isn't it?