TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Guest Smues
(To get a feeling for what that is, hit yourself over the head with an inflatable hammer, then a real one. The one that hurts has more mass.

Ha. So what are the odds someone does this and sues?

Anyway, this interests me. So are the events of "Angels & Demons" about to happen? Watch out Pope Benedict!

turn-off-gravity.gif

The point of the collider is to study black holes, which could tell us how the universe was created.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm all about some colliding.

Switch the fucker on! Put a monkey inside of it.

What's the big deal? It's just a particle accelerator. These things have been around for years. I don't know if there's ever been one this large before, but it really shouldn't make any difference.

I recently heard a scientist observe that our universe seems to be perfectly designed for the creation of black holes.

So, the universe literally sucks.

What's the big deal? It's just a particle accelerator. These things have been around for years. I don't know if there's ever been one this large before, but it really shouldn't make any difference.

But have they had ones shooting these things at the speed of light with such distance?

There's a one in one trillion chance they could create a black hole that will begin to eat at the earth, leaving it swiss cheese'd in a few years.

There's a lawsuit to stop them from running the thing, but I've known about this for quite a few years and always thought it was irresponsible. If something would go wrong it would be worse than a nuclear apocalypse because you'd not only wipe out the human species, but all known life in the universe.

Only humanity could come up with crashing things into each other as a solution. I'm not awfully worried about this until I start seeing time and space bending around me toward a certain point. I'm screwed then anyway, so I'll yell "YOU DID IT, YOU FINALLY DID IT!" as I'm crushed into nothing.

But have they had ones shooting these things at the speed of light with such distance?

As I said, I'm not certain if there's ever been another one quite this big. But there have been some, yes, which shoot particles around near the speed of light for miles.

There's a one in one trillion chance they could create a black hole that will begin to eat at the earth, leaving it swiss cheese'd in a few years.

Yeah, but the chance is so small that it's practically impossibe. We have a much higher chance of being wiped out by a meteor collision or a nuclear war or all kinds of other stuff than we do by someone switching this thing on.

EDIT: after some exhaustive research (aka I went to wiki and typed in "particle accelerator") I found some info. In fact, CERN already had a 27-km long particle accelerator, the LEP Collider. They used that sucker for eleven years without triggering the apocalypse. And there have been many other large particle accelerators and colliders, though none quite as large as they build 'em in Switzerland; here is a list of the most physically historic ones. I counted at least ten which were over a mile long. This is not new technology, it's been around for a while; the Hadron Collider is just the most recent one. The only "scientists" who are seriously worried about this are alarmist nutcases who are either looking for publicity or don't know what the hell they're talking about.

In the end, it's another case of science thinking about how they could and not thinking about if they should. Dammit, we can't be killed by a black hole. I want to live long enough to fight off the zombies!

Guest Vitamin X

I bet black holes have already been popping up all around us. That would explain where the fuck my spare keys went last week.

I've heard people discuss that Mayan calendar shit.

People have been saying the world is going to end EVERY YEAR SINCE THE CONCEPT HAS EXISTED. There's no legitimate reason for me to believe any of that.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/

Okay, now back to actual discussion.

I don't necessarily believe any of it, but the previous link talks about how it's less to do with the Mayan Calendar ending and more to do with the actual scientific theory behind it. *shrug*

largehadron.jpg

Dang.

Well if that thing opens up a gate to Xen and that guy has a crowbar on him, I say we'll be all right.

In the following weeks, I'm fully expecting a meteoric rise of "End of the World" talk everywhere in the media leading to panic and hysteria. I don't know if that thing is safe or not since there have been experiments of that nature in the past, just not on that scale. No one really knows for sure, but black holes and big bangs aren't the kind of things you play around with.

I don't know if that thing is safe or not since there have been experiments of that nature in the past, just not on that scale. No one really knows for sure, but black holes and big bangs aren't the kind of things you play around with.

In fact, CERN already had a 27-km long particle accelerator, the LEP Collider. They used that sucker for eleven years without triggering the apocalypse.

That's the same size as the new one.

Anyway, I don't get the characterizations of the scientists here being some kind of wild-eyed wackos who are recklessly playing God without having ever given a single moment's thought to the possible consequences. This is CERN we're talking about. The kind of place graduates from Cal Tech to Harvard have wet dreams about working there someday. This isn't like Frankenstein hooking up the electrodes in his dungeon.