TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

Covering Coverage

Non-story. The only people who should be legitimately up in arms over this are the people who have worked with special needs kids and take deep offense to the word "retard" in casual usage (hi, Mom!) and this wasn't even that bad. Stop feigning outrage. Personally, I wouldn't have risked upsetting the Special Olympics folks and instead opted for "yeah, I suck at bowling" but then you get the evangelicals in a tizzy claiming they had to explain to their children what sucking is.

I can't bowl for shit, so Obama and I are tenuously aligned on this issue.

Now that you mention it...As a special education professional, I'm not up in arms about it, but you can easily discount my opinion by pointing out that my lips seem to be permanently attached to the president's BUTT.

Is the media still really talking about this? I've got a right-wing cop friend who's bitching now that the slain cops in Oakland aren't getting anything attention "just because Obama was on the Tonight Show." The media spent days talking about the appearance because of what he said, not necessarily because he was simply on the show. And since the Oakland story was developing just two days ago, I haven't seen the Obama story take away any press from it.

A friend of his chimed in said he doesn't know or care what Obama said on the Tonight Show, but insists that his mere presence has taken away coverage of the Oakland incident. My head exploded.

It is weird that in the course of one week, Obama went from being historically significant for being the first black president to being historically significant for being the first president to appear on the Tonight Show.

What's with the right's sudden insistence that dissent under the guise of free speech be recognized? It was as recent as the a few years ago where they were calling liberals treasonous and terrorist loving apologists because they spoke out against the President's policies, now the coin has flipped and they are suddenly 1st amendment advocates. It's quite hilarious......

Personally I am all for free speech, I just find it highly hypocritical that Obama's in in office for barely a couple of months and the likes of Glen Beck are calling for a "revolution"

Media big shots lamenting the internet destroying their profits:

Media Insiders Say Internet Hurts Journalism

snip

In a poll of prominent members of the national news media, nearly two-thirds say the Internet is hurting journalism more than it is helping. The poll, conducted by The Atlantic and National Journal, asked 43 media insiders whether, on balance, journalism has been helped more or hurt more by the rise of news consumption online. Sixty-five percent said journalism has been hurt more, while 34 percent said it has been helped more.

The media insiders were also asked about coverage of President Obama. Of 45 respondents, 71 percent say it has been “about right,” 22 percent say it’s been “too easy” and 7 percent say it has been “too tough.”

Those who say that news consumption on the Internet is, on balance, hurting journalism note the way the online experience is changing reader habits.The “hurt more” group also says that while the Internet offers benefits, the cost to traditional media and news-gathering is too high.

“A year ago, I would have given a different answer. The increases in audience reach and communication with the audience are incredibly gratifying. But the cost to the business model (R.I.P. Seattle P-I) and the inability of the business model to monetize the Internet means that there is a disturbing net cost to newsgathering. If you're not covering your state delegation in D.C., or the state legislature back home, or the city council, bad things are going to happen, undiscovered.”

Oh how I cry for them... god forbid people have choices where to get news. Welcome to the 24 news cycle.

Wow. I knew Glenn Beck was a little off the deep end, I had no idea he was a fucking idiot.

It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.

The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

Yeah but it will always be more useful when thrown at someone.

Thanks again for that zhangmeielfjjs, I'm gonna go look at the definition of relevance and that post at the same time, and see how long it takes for smoke to come out of my ears.

About 5 seconds.

This is a case where journalism shows itself as little other than a sad exercise in profiteering and nothing more.

Uproar over 'news story' ad on front page of LA Times

snip

WASHINGTON (AFP) — An advertisement dressed up as a news story on the front page of the Los Angeles Times has reporters at the newspaper fuming and the publisher defending the move.

The advertisement, for the NBC television series "Southland," appeared on page one of the Times on Thursday. Although it was labelled "advertisement," the ad resembled a news story complete with a bold-type headline.

According to the blog MediaMemo, more than 100 staffers at the newspaper signed a petition protesting the appearance of the fake news story ad on the front page.

"We the journalists of the newsroom strenuously object to the decision to sell an ad, in the form of a phony news story, on the front page of the Los Angeles Times," mediamemo.allthingsd.com quoted the petition as saying.

"The NBC ad may have provided some quick cash, but it has caused incalculable damage to this institution," it said. "Placing a fake news article on A-1 makes a mockery of our integrity and our journalistic standards.

"Our willingness to sell our most precious real estate to an advertiser is embarrassing and demoralizing," the petition said.

Sad.grim.pathetic.

Hasn't that been a common practice for years?

As far as the Glen Beck quote debated above goes....the idea that government works for the people isn't a Glen Beck invention, and it is a good and just notion. However, I think the problem arises when people think the government works ONLY for them. In Beck's case, he seems to think its the government's only jobs are to keep taxes on the rich low, and tell people what they can't do in their bedrooms.

CNN Gal: "Why are you here?"

Random Guy: "Abraham Lincoln, blah, blah, blah..."

CNN Gal: "What the fuck are you talking about?"

Susan Roesgen seems to have made herself the story. CNN at least plays it closer to the vest than MSNBC most of the time, but that wasn't their finest moment claiming the events were anti-CNN. Man, get over yourself. Judging by the ratings, CNN isn't really on anyone's minds as of late. Also, debating some guy about Obama... oh man, lady, are you a reporter or an advocate because you can't be both.

CNN Correspondent Claims Tea Parties 'Anti-government,' 'Anti-CNN'

Also, Anderson Cooper made some sexual joke... ho hum.

I believe the question the man was asked was "Why are you here today?" not "Can you compare and contrast Barack Obama to Abraham Lincoln?" The guy was a blabbering idiot who was trying to make a point about taxes being to high. She rightly pointed out that his taxes have not gone up, and he was in fact getting a tax cut. A good reporter exposes peoples lies, and that's what she was doing: exposing that this protest is based on a lie.