TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

Guest Vitamin X

I always recalled Porter being a Bears fan, actually. King just switched from the Jags to the Raiders, and cheech doesn't post a whole lot in the football threads, so there you go. Aside from them, Still Fly is the only consistent Raiders fan I remember around here.

I'll admit I have a rather mild affinity for the "bad boy" Raiders of the 70's and 80's as well as the brief resurgence under Gruden, and due to growing up here I enjoy the whole triangle rivalry with the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders, but when the Raiders suck, that whole "bad boy" image really works against them. While it's a testament that they can still draw all those Mad Max rejects to the OAC even as they continually pile up four win seasons, it's still just pathetic.

Plus Al Davis is just one of the slimiest human beings ever to exist.

Since my fan allegiance is being pondered here:

1. Bears

2. Chargers/Raiders (Chargers by virtue of living here in San Diego, but I actually prefer the Raiders.)

I suppose I'd be considered a bandwagon fan of the Chargers, but my interest in Bears and Raiders have never really gone away. For the Raiders, there were just not much to be excited about in recent years, so of course I wasn't talking about them much. But Bears #1 all the way.

I'll admit I have a rather mild affinity for the "bad boy" Raiders of the 70's and 80's as well as the brief resurgence under Gruden, and due to growing up here I enjoy the whole triangle rivalry with the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders, but when the Raiders suck, that whole "bad boy" image really works against them. While it's a testament that they can still draw all those Mad Max rejects to the OAC even as they continually pile up four win seasons, it's still just pathetic.

Add to that, do the Raiders realize how ridiculous it is to keep trotting out the "Commitment to Excellence" sign every year? Seriously put that thing in the mothballs until your franchise isn't a complete joke, which is hopefully never or at least until they leave Oakland again.

Banky digs the Raiders. I'll adopt Carolina as my #2 team. My guess is that if your favorite isn't your local team, your local team takes the #2 spot in many cases, especially if they're at least .500 good.

Guest Vitamin X

I guess that means I should like the Seahawks, but I don't have enough of a tie to this area to feel that, same with the Dolphins. I did like the Chargers though, growing up in SoCal. I don't think any team can really be #2 from my perspective, aside from maybe the Steelers who I have a soft spot for. They're like the Bears for people who don't like the Bears.

Guest Vitamin X
So you'd like the Bears if they weren't the Bears?

What I mean is a smashmouth, defense-oriented team with a rich tradition. The Bears fit that bill, although I think the Steelers have a bit more tradition. And much better quarterback play.

What I mean is a smashmouth, defense-oriented team with a rich tradition. The Bears fit that bill, although I think the Steelers have a bit more tradition. And much better quarterback play.

Unfortunately I'd agree on both counts. Pittsburgh established themselves as a dynasty in the 70s and it stuck ever since. Since the NFL came to be (post AFL merger) the Bears had done almost nothing of note outside a few strong seasons. At least we have the arguably most dominant Super Bowl team ever? That something to hang a hat on?

On the local team thing, I admit I do have a good amount of love for the Chiefs, having grown up here (my mom and bro are die-hard fans), watching them on TV and even going to a couple games at Arrowhead where I had lots of fun due to the excellent tailgating atmosphere there... plus if anything I should sympathize with them due to the similar "so close but so far" nature of the team under Rottenheimer and Vermeil (and, no, I don't hold anything against them for beating the Vikings in the Super Bowl a decade before I was even born).

Since I get them every Sunday, I root for the Giants and the Jets. I'm happy if they win, but I'm not emotionally invested in them, that if they lose, it effects me. Football's more fun when the local teams do well.

Because the Saints never make the playoffs, I do get more into the local teams come playoff season. I flipped a shit when the Giants won, thought that was cool. During Katrina when they threatened the Saints might move, I said I'd be a Giants fan if the Saints left Louisiana.

Since I get them every Sunday, I root for the Giants and the Jets. I'm happy if they win, but I'm not emotionally invested in them, that if they lose, it effects me. Football's more fun when the local teams do well.

Because the Saints never make the playoffs, I do get more into the local teams come playoff season. I flipped a shit when the Giants won, thought that was cool. During Katrina when they threatened the Saints might move, I said I'd be a Giants fan if the Saints left Louisiana.

That's exactly why I'm a fan of the Chargers. It's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of their success, since after moving here to San Diego, they started getting good, and people got more and more excited as years went on. But I always kept Bears #1. I do know I rooted for the Raiders since I was a kid, first getting interested in football, mostly because of the mystique and the tradition of it all. I was happy as hell when the Raiders made the Super Bowl, but after they got slaughtered and started going down the toilet, I stopped talking about them, and went into that closet.

For the record, when Raiders and Chargers play each other I do make it a point to root for the Raiders. So I guess Raiders are really #2. Chargers are more like "Hey that local team..."

I guess I'll add in my two cents on my fandom of the Raiders:

I've been a Raider fan since I can remember. I was born and raised in Inglewood (moved to Santa Clarita in 2001), and back then the Raiders were THE team in Los Angeles. I don't have to explain the cultural impact the Raiders made and continue to do so in Southern California. I remember geting Raider gear all the time when I was little, helmets, footballs, jerseys, you name it I got it.

My dad was a diehard Rams fan but gave up on the Rams the time the Raiders rolled into town and got season tickets. Around the early 90s or so, my dad started to take to me Raider games. I mean all eight games, fifty yard line, great seats. It would be my dad, uncles, and my grandfather. It became a tradtion to go every Sunday to go to Raider games. I saw some great players durinng those years: John Elway, Warren Moon, Howie Long, Timmy Brown, LT, Phil Simms, Junior Seau, Joe Montana etc. I was really sad when the Raiders moved in 1995 back to Oakland, but I stayed a fan because it was the only team I knew and liked. Like many fans, I loved the history, the comebacks, the lore, the colors, uniform everything. I was pretty much a diehard and continue to be diehard fan.

Like many fans, its crushing, sad and dishearting to see the condition this team is now in. Bad owner, bad scouting, bad players, bad stadium. I will freely admit that we are the laughing stock of the NFL and have been for the past five years. I don't see a light in the tunnel, and I am not realistically expecting that Al Davis will magically step down and let a real football guy turn this ship around. The Raiders are one of the most well known and popular teams in the NFL, with a worldwide following and its sad that that there will be a generation of fans that will think Raiders suck and never win. Like I said in the Week One thread, This is a loyal and passionate fanbase, and we deserve than these past five years. But, like in 1995, I will never give up on this team winning or losing. It would be too hard to give up and be a fan of another team.

Guest Vitamin X

Unfortunately I'd agree on both counts. Pittsburgh established themselves as a dynasty in the 70s and it stuck ever since. Since the NFL came to be (post AFL merger) the Bears had done almost nothing of note outside a few strong seasons. At least we have the arguably most dominant Super Bowl team ever? That something to hang a hat on?

2000 Baltimore Ravens. Now that was a fucking defense. The Bears had the better running game and the more memorable team, with all the characters on the team like Fridge, Ditka, McMahon, etc. but the Ravens were just a fucking killer defense. I knew from midseason on that no team was going to get in their way for a Super Bowl, even with the total lack of an offense that they had.

2000 Baltimore Ravens. Now that was a fucking defense. The Bears had the better running game and the more memorable team, with all the characters on the team like Fridge, Ditka, McMahon, etc. but the Ravens were just a fucking killer defense. I knew from midseason on that no team was going to get in their way for a Super Bowl, even with the total lack of an offense that they had.

I think an argument can be made for the Ravens, obviously, but the Bears' D did kinda help the team go 15-1 and you said no team was going to get in the Ravens' way, well what about the Bears completely shutting down everyone in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl? For christ's sake, they shut out everyone they faced in the NFC side of the playoffs! Just food for thought.

And after looking at things, Ravens did not even win the division that year. How can you say you knew they were going to win the Super Bowl from midseason onwards when Tennessee had a better season?

In conclusion, when I say "dominant SB team" I don't just mean the game itself. I mean the whole season. The Bears were just ridiculously good. I will say though, Ravens were better at the average points allowed through the season than the Bears, but Bears pitched 4 shutouts that year to Ravens' 3.

Guest Vitamin X

I think an argument can be made for the Ravens, obviously, but the Bears' D did kinda help the team go 15-1 and you said no team was going to get in the Ravens' way, well what about the Bears completely shutting down everyone in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl? For christ's sake, they shut out everyone they faced in the NFC side of the playoffs! Just food for thought.

And after looking at things, Ravens did not even win the division that year. How can you say you knew they were going to win the Super Bowl from midseason onwards when Tennessee had a better season?

In conclusion, when I say "dominant SB team" I don't just mean the game itself. I mean the whole season. The Bears were just ridiculously good. I will say though, Ravens were better at the average points allowed through the season than the Bears, but Bears pitched 4 shutouts that year to Ravens' 3.

They set the record for fewest points allowed all season, which bested the 85 Bears' record. And although they didn't shutout any of their opponents, the 2000 Ravens only allowed one touchdown on defense throughout the playoffs. I knew they were going to go all the way midseason, even in the middle of a 3 game losing streak because the defense was just so damn good they weren't even scoring offensive touchdowns and winning games- then they never lost a game after that for the rest of the year. That was just a sick, sick defense. I never saw the 85 Bears play (too young), but I did see these guys. And they were a great, great defense, definitely the best I remember.

I root for the Denver Broncos because before Carolina had a team I had to root for someone. I picked them mainly because my dad liked them (don't know why) and they've remained my faves ever since.