TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM QUESTIONS YOUR LOYALTY

Guest Vitamin X

bob, please inform us at TSM of your game-time rituals. Please. I used to have some, but all of them just didn't work at all during 2005, so I gave up.

Why do I ask for it?

Before every game, I get myself hyped up big time running around screaming Who Dat. I play several versions of House of the Rising Sun and When The Saints Go Marching In, and then finish off by playing The Saints Are Coming from the Saints' first game back at the Superdome. This usually involves me throwing things and whipping myself into a frenzy.

My neighbour must be deaf or have a sound-proof apartment.

Whenever they score a TD (+ extra point), I yell: TOUCHDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN SAINTS at the top of my lungs and play Blur's Song #2. Since I'm following the game at NFL.com and am a play behind, I watch the ticker on TV obsessively to try to figure out what kind of play happened.

And if the Saints win, I play the song New Orleans. If they lose, I want to kill myself.

And I always wear my Saints hat and Reggie Bush jersey. Geaux Saints!

Despite the Browns getting trumped all over, I still support them! I used to support the 49ers when I first got into the sport. My mate used to like the Raiders since they had a 'cool' logo. There does seem to be a lot of bandwagon jumping amongst NFL fans, my question is this...

Isn't it to be expected that people will chop and change who they follow since the 'Franchise' moves from town to town every decade or so? As a Brit, where the concept is completely foreign (outside of Wimbledon FC becoming MK Dons), I do find it odd that teams are allowed to up and leave like that.

Isn't it to be expected that people will chop and change who they follow since the 'Franchise' moves from town to town every decade or so? As a Brit, where the concept is completely foreign (outside of Wimbledon FC becoming MK Dons), I do find it odd that teams are allowed to up and leave like that.

If your team moves, it's considered acceptable to switch to another team.

VX, do you ever go to the Cheerful Tortoise for Packers games? It always seems like there is a decent sized group of Green Bay fans there.

Cheech, that's the bar I referenced earlier in this thread. There's a couple other bars around downtown I could go to, but Cheerful is very nice for Sunday games. Relatively spare with people (certainly in comparison to the other days that week) and a fun atmosphere, cheap food and drink. If you ever go there on a day the Packers are playing and you see some short haired guy with a Favre jersey (now it has Flake taped over the name) getting animated with the TV, and flirting occasionally with this one bartender named Lisa, that's me.

I've only been there a few times on game days, but now I'm 90% sure now that I've seen you there before. My first encounter with a fellow TSMer!

Ah right, so you guys still support your 'home town'? Do you keep tabs on your old team?

Guest Vitamin X
VX, do you ever go to the Cheerful Tortoise for Packers games? It always seems like there is a decent sized group of Green Bay fans there.

Cheech, that's the bar I referenced earlier in this thread. There's a couple other bars around downtown I could go to, but Cheerful is very nice for Sunday games. Relatively spare with people (certainly in comparison to the other days that week) and a fun atmosphere, cheap food and drink. If you ever go there on a day the Packers are playing and you see some short haired guy with a Favre jersey (now it has Flake taped over the name) getting animated with the TV, and flirting occasionally with this one bartender named Lisa, that's me.

I've only been there a few times on game days, but now I'm 90% sure now that I've seen you there before. My first encounter with a fellow TSMer!

Wha? really? Oh, the bar definitely knows me from the Cowboys game last year. I got into it with some Cowboys fan who was being a total douche, everything was all good, though. Introduce yourself next time to me as cheech, and I'll buy you a drink. I think I was only there for the Chargers game last year, as well as a few other ones.. pretty much anything I don't get to watch at home, I'll go there for.

Theoretically I should cheer for the Bills, but after four straight superbowl losses time for a change. I bounced around from Bucs and Jags, but in 02-03 ish I followed the Hawks.

I've seen the Hawks practice, but never seen them play. (Despite having front row tickets to the Bills/Hawks game last week)

Growing up in Sacramento, I was kinda force-fed many of the teams as a kid, mainly the Niners and Giants. Once I got older, certain events shaped my fandom I think and I also adopted the rule of one team from each conference or league.

The only team I will truly live and die by unless they move out of state is the Sacramento Kings, however.

I am a die-hard Cardinals fan (the baseball kind, that is). That'll pretty much never change. Unless maybe they traded Albert Pujols tomorrow or something ridiculous like that.

In the other sports, I don't really have a favorite team. I should probably be a Rams fan, but ever since they let Kurt Warner go and Marshall Faulk retired, I've felt nothing but apathy for them. I care more about the Colts than them right now, but that's probably because Peyton Manning plays for them. I'll probably not care about them at all as soon as he's gone. In basketball, I don't even get any regional NBA games, which sucks because I like watching it. I basically base who I root for on a game-by-game basis.

I'm pretty much the classic "root for the local team" guy. Of course having Barry Sanders, Grant Hill and Steve Yzerman playing in Detroit helped draw me in (the Tigers were shitty at that time but I rooted for them anyways). I've seen a bunch of highs with the Red Wings (4 cups since '97) and the Pistons (NBA title in '04, 6 straight ECF's) as well as many lows with the Tigers (bunch of losing seasons before 2006 including 119 losses in '03, meltdown in '06 W.S.) and the Lions (Barry retiring early, 31-82 under Matt Millen since '01), but I have and still will stick with these teams.

If the Saints moved, they'd be dead to me.

Why? Is it the New Orleans thing that makes you a fan? You're from NYC, so I'm just curious as to why a Saints move would turn you off the team.

I became a fan because my family is from the South, so I was raised to be a Saints fan, it's part of the geography. I love the city of New Orleans, the fleur-de-lis and all that. If they moved, it just wouldn't be the same team to me, even if they kept the colours and the name. I just couldn't root for the Los Angeles Saints.

Why do I ask for it?

Before every game, I get myself hyped up big time running around screaming Who Dat. I play several versions of House of the Rising Sun and When The Saints Go Marching In, and then finish off by playing The Saints Are Coming from the Saints' first game back at the Superdome. This usually involves me throwing things and whipping myself into a frenzy.

My neighbour must be deaf or have a sound-proof apartment.

Whenever they score a TD (+ extra point), I yell: TOUCHDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN SAINTS at the top of my lungs and play Blur's Song #2. Since I'm following the game at NFL.com and am a play behind, I watch the ticker on TV obsessively to try to figure out what kind of play happened.

And if the Saints win, I play the song New Orleans. If they lose, I want to kill myself.

And I always wear my Saints hat and Reggie Bush jersey. Geaux Saints!

Quoted because it's one of the funniest fucking things I've ever read here. The image of Bob running around his house screaming, "WHO DAT!?" will provide me with amusement for months to come.

I've been a fan of the Raiders since 2000. Actually I somewhat take that back, I've always been a fan of the 49ers and the Raiders, but before 2000, I was a bigger 49ers fan and then I met a lot of the 49er fans.

I was working at a gas station off the freeway (i was in highschool) at the time. This was the season that the 49ers started really sucking and 49ers fans would come in after a game and I would talk about the 49ers with them and I was honest when I said "The 49ers are doing really bad this year." and instead of having a fan admit it, I just heard excuse after excuse after excuse. Then I met a lot of Raiders fans, some all decked out and whatnot, and then I would talk with them about the Raiders and I would get a completely different story.

The Raider fans were honest and said "Yeah, the Raiders suck this season.". The Raiders fans knew the team sucked and were honest about it and they talked about how even though the team sucked, they loved going to games still and getting with the other Raider fans and having fun. I kinda realized at that point, that the Raider fans are really great freaking fans. It also helped that my co-workers were big Raider fans as well, so I started watching Raider games at the gas station.

So I started supporting the Raiders a lot more over the 49ers. Even though I'm a Raiders fan, I still support the 49ers, espically when they have a shot at bringing a championship back to the Bay Area because God, the Bay desperately needs some kind of sports championship again. I'm like that with other teams and sports as well. I'm not a basketball fan, but I support the Warriors, I'm not a Hockey fan, but I support the Sharks. I'm an A's fan, but if the Giants can bring a championship to the Bay, then good for them.

So yeah....GO MOTHERFUCKING RAIDERS!

As a kid I arbitrarily switched from the Broncos to the Seahawks after some devastating season-ending loss. I switched right back the next season. I'm also drawn to the Cardinals for some reason. That's probably some parts regional, some parts pity.

The Jordan-led Bulls were my second favorite team after the Nuggets... right up until the dismantling and every utterly unlikable iteration following that. Staying with Chicago, the Cubs were my adopted team until the Rockies began playing. It was an easy choice between owning some board game with their brand on it and all the Cubs games airing on WGN. I went through a lot of other historic teams, trying to find the right one, but the Cubs were my favorite. In hockey I was a fan of the Kings because of Gretzky and then began following the Avs once they came to town.

So I'm basically the 'root for the local teams' type. And as a rule, no more than two-three teams and absolutely no one in the same division under any circumstances, so no 'doin it for the conference' nonsense.

I'm not a basketball fan, but I support the Warriors, I'm not a Hockey fan, but I support the Sharks. I'm an A's fan, but if the Giants can bring a championship to the Bay, then good for them.

So yeah....GO MOTHERFUCKING RAIDERS!

tyra_blowfishface.jpg

Guest Tzar Lysergic

My team hierarchy:

1. Bears

2. Colts

3. Notre Dame football

4. Cubs

5. Bulls

If the Saints moved, they'd be dead to me.

Why? Is it the New Orleans thing that makes you a fan? You're from NYC, so I'm just curious as to why a Saints move would turn you off the team.

I became a fan because my family is from the South, so I was raised to be a Saints fan, it's part of the geography. I love the city of New Orleans, the fleur-de-lis and all that. If they moved, it just wouldn't be the same team to me, even if they kept the colours and the name. I just couldn't root for the Los Angeles Saints.

I can relate to this...I've never once been to New York, yet all my favorite teams are NY based. Family is from there. I have no real explanation why I like the Bills rather than the Giants and Jets though.

Live and die with Philly teams. I loved the 9ers as well growing up, but after I was paranoid it made me seem like a frontrunner, I quickly made that my last favorite team. Now they suck, but oh well. I tend to lean towards the franchises when there is franchise vs. player, because most athletes today only care for money. I also love the sport as well, and will watch almost every playoff game from each sport, minus basketball. I felt good when the Red Sox won the WS in 2004, but now I despise them because of their fans. I loved when the Giants won the SB, even though I hate them right now because they are a division rival. I mainly go for the feel good story because sport is theatric as well as athletic.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Team loyalties:

NFL: Packers & Pats

MLB: Dodgers & Angels (Right now it's looking like it could be a win-win in October)

NHL: Ducks & Leafs

NBA: Kings

Well, you nearly have every time zone covered. Fuck righ-hight off.

Ah right, so you guys still support your 'home town'? Do you keep tabs on your old team?

Go as Brooklyn Dodger fans, Cleveland Brown Original Recipe (currently the Ravens) fans, Houston Oiler fans, Baltimore Colt fans, etc.

No matter what the reason, a team up and leaves a city, they will forever be seen as villains to that community, and that old fanbase.

The guy who moved the Dodgers from Brooklyn to Los Angeles, Walter O'Malley, is still hated as much as Hitler or Stalin by old Brooklyn Dodger fans, who think that it is now a black eye for baseball that he is now a member of the Hall of Fame.

And this is 50 years after the move!

So, no, generally fan bases generally do not move with their old teams, and either follow a new team, or if they get a replacement team.

When the Browns moved, I started getting into the Eagles. And while I still support Philly to a degree, I'd trade in one Browns Super Bowl appearance for 10 years of 0-16 Eagles football in a heartbeat.

I'm a pretty big homer when it comes to the Browns. That said, I'm really dreading the game vs Pittsburgh tonight.