TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gWIL

Indiana Boys: identify yourselves.

So I think there's a bunch of us on here. Identify yourselves and regions/cities so we can bitch about our great state and many timezones. Our we discuss the two losers runnng for governor. Or our great amusement parks. I'm from South Bend, but I go to college in Evansville.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Alfdogg's in Anderson, I'm near Ft. Wayne, TOOG and Cowboynumbers are somewhere around Indy, Muggy's in South Bend. We're the most prominent Hoosiers.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
TOOG is from Canada, actually. He just likes the Colts.

Canada?? Close enough.

Yeah, moved to the Bend from Tennessee six months ago. Quite a bit different from there.

Where you at in the Bend? I lived on the south side by Erskine Village. But I grew up in nearby Osceola, went to Penn high Schol if that means anything to you. And can I ask what in the hell brought you to SB?

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Doesn't Gabe (formerly of Djibouti) live around Erie or something as well?

Forgot about him. He's up around Mexican Michigan City.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Are people in Northwest Indiana--let's say everyone on the inside of an arc drawn through Valparaiso--considered full-blown Hoosiers? They're reliably on Central Time, and sometimes they're black. I don't think people from Schererville are really regarded as people who love John Mellencamp and high school basketball. Southern Walworth County/Kenosha County is the same kind of cultural DMZ, in my experience.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Somewhere in between, I think. Gary/Hammond doesn't strike me as "Hoosier." Now, Laporte/Knox, and that area? It is, somewhat.

When I say "Hoosier," I mean places like..Plum Tree and Mongo.

Indeed, I am residing in Michigan City. as far as "hoosiers" go, I'd say anything east of the Lake County/Porter County Line in NW Indiana are the Mellencampian Hoosier sect. Also...2 times the amount of Mexicans in LaPorte as Michigan City. I was actually raised in Westville. A TINY town 10 miles south of Michigan City. My graduating class was 28. went there K-12.

It's nice, not too far from Chicago, without the living expenses involved.

Guest Vitamin X

Indiana's just one of those places I could never fathom ever having a reason to go to, save for passing through it. To me, it's always been like this black hole in between more important states like Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

It has its moments, really. Some pretty back country; a few lovely state parks! Brown County is the best kept secret in the world of leafers. Acres and acres of gently rolling hills, quaint small towns, and deciduous forest from horizon to horizon.

We have a lot of limestone caves, too. Those are fuckin' neat. I can walk around the fields near my house, and without digging or really trying too hard, can come back home with a handful of arrowheads.

Cheap as fuck place to live, too. Rent at or above $1,000 is unheard of.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Those sand dunes look kind of interesting. I've only been to Northwest Indiana once in my life, and it was en route to Orlando. I always resolve to go to the annual drum corps show in Michigan City, but it's kind of far and you have to take the Skyway and go through Gary and it's not particularly worth it. Other than that, I never have any reason to be in NW Indiana, same with all those western suburbs like Wayne or Bartlett or Warrenville that are just sort of there and you'd never even think about them or the people that live there until you have to drive through.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The dunes are friggin' weird. Bookended by hellholes like Gary and Michigan City. It, like much of this state's novelties, is an odd collections of things one wouldn't expect to find, like leftovers from the World's Fair that was in Chicago back in the 30s. Strange festivals and shit that draw thousands from out of nowhere. Want a truly miserable experience? Visit the area in the winter. Lake effect snowstorms billowing in over the lake just before shitting all over the place before you can get the keys in the ignition. Late spring and right about now are the best times to go, honestly. It's a good enough waste of a saturday, Czech, go for it.

The covered bridge festival down south around Spring Mill looks like goddamn Woodstock. Only for old people and farm folk.

Guest Vitamin X

I've certainly heard about this, like a 3 bedroom for under 1k on a river or lake or something. That sounds good, but doesn't it pay crappy out there as well? And with the cost of living nationally going up, that doesn't sound appealing. Of course, I don't criticize anyone for living there, but it doesn't seem like a place that would draw any sort of tourism or reason for me to live there unless, I don't know I was forced to with some kind of job or whatever.

All those other things aren't really unique either, especially to someone who lives in Oregon, but I could see that as pleasant to have while you have to live there.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've certainly heard about this, like a 3 bedroom for under 1k on a river or lake or something. That sounds good, but doesn't it pay crappy out there as well? And with the cost of living nationally going up, that doesn't sound appealing. Of course, I don't criticize anyone for living there, but it doesn't seem like a place that would draw any sort of tourism or reason for me to live there unless, I don't know I was forced to with some kind of job or whatever.

All those other things aren't really unique either, especially to someone who lives in Oregon, but I could see that as pleasant to have while you have to live there.

Oh, Oregon's gorgeous. Rainforest? Hell yes. I'm not saying Indiana's the natural jewel of the nation or anything, but it has some nice stuff. Better than Mississippi, anyway. Worst state.

Wages out here aren't too bad. I do fine with no college degree.