TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mearl267

Need some new music

Hello...I'm in desperate need for some new music. I'm into My Chem, Link Park, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying, Devil wears prada, Billy Talent, etc.

So...give me a couple, if you want...and I'll give you a review/thought of it. If its a keeper on my ipod or not.

Are you also into other things, or strictly that?

Oh, I'm all over the place. From the Doors and Beatles, to killswitch engage and iron maiden. Just no rap or country, really.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Haha, people still say "I like everything but rap and country" non-facetiously? I thought that line was strictly for mocking trixies' facebook profiles.

You like everything, huh? Go get these ten albums and call me in the morning:

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Radiohead - Kid A

Camper Van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie

Pascal Roge plays Erik Satie - After the Rain...

Wilco - Summerteeth

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

Those are ten albums I like, which I picked off the top of my head since I don't have my hard drive or spreadsheet in front of me. I feel it's adequately stylistically disparate, hitting on various things that are neither rap nor country (though I dunno man, CVB and Wilco have been known to skew slightly twangy) but nothing being so deep in an unfamiliar genre as to be offputting and discouraging further exploration (this is neither the time nor place for Black Saint and the Sinner Lady or A Love Supreme, folks). If any of those have already been added to your library, sub in any of the following:

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds

The Verve - Urban Hymns

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

U2 - War

This was probably a waste of the last ten minutes but good luck and happy listening all the same, newcomer!

Here are my top 5 right now.

Fleet Foxes: Basically, a Seattle-based eclectic do-goodery. Sounds like Bands of Horses, but more based in a forest.

Albums: S/T

Mew: Scandinavian arena indie. A blonde man's gentle alto layered over powerful drums and guitars that sound like swords.

Albums: And The Glass Handed Kites, Frengers

Cold War Kids: Bluesy rock band based out of Fullerton, CA that uses all sorts of jangling drums and incoherent piano lines.

Albums: Robbers & Cowards

Jaga Jazzist: Scandinavian acid jazz. It's fucking good. One of the Mars Volta's favorite bands.

Albums: Several, but the best is A Living Room Hush, which I posted in The Dump of the mediasharing folder.

Algernon Cadwaller: Philly-based indie band that is a carbon copy of Chicago's Cap'n Jazz

Albums: Some Kind of Cadwaller

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

I'm gonna listen to Living Room Hush tonight. In the meantime, have you ever given directions in English to people who only speak Spanish? This happened to me the other day when I was jogging, and the melange of feelings it inspired--a vague sense of undeserved superiority tempered by helplessness, frustration, and guilt for having been unable to help a person in need--are all swirling back around me here, in this thread.

This post dedicated to the memory of David Foster Wallace

Hell, here's 5 more.

Calexico: Alt-country band mixed with some slowcore. Very cool sounds. Did some work with Iron & Wine, a fine compilation, that.

Albums: Not sure, but the latest is Carried To Dust, and the Iron & Wine comp is great.

Xiu Xiu: Experimental. Amazing percussion work.

Albums: A bunch, latest is Women As Lovers, personal favorite is Knife Play.

Diminished Men: Seattle-based surf rock.

Albums: Names of the Dead

Aloha: Definitive indie soft-rock, but a well structured band nonetheless that puts together some rather nice songs.

Albums: (favorites) Some Echoes, Light Works

The Most Serene Republic: As close to an explosive marching band with vocals as you can get. Excellent textural work going on here.

Albums: The Men Who Live Upstairs

I think you guys need to tailor yr reccs to our friend here's situation a little better. The chasm between Linkin Park and, like, Another Green World or fucking Xiu Xiu is a little too wide to cross in one leap. Baby steps and all. Anyway, instead of recommending whole albums I'm just going to post some 'Tubes of "entry level" "good songs". If you like them then explore the groups and their influences/followers on yr own (since that's really the best way to find new music). Note: These are all from the late 80s/early 90s because that is objectively the best era for music. Peace./

Fugazi - "Waiting Room"

Pixies - "Debaser"

Sonic Youth - "Teen Age Riot"

Pavement - "Range Life"

Pulp - "Common People"

Hello...I'm in desperate need for some new music. I'm into My Chem, Link Park, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying, Devil wears prada, Billy Talent, etc.

Try Alexisonfire. They're similar in sound.

THEY'RE DOGSHIT AND THE LEAD SINGER MOVES LIKE ED GRIMLEY AS WELL.

Try some Melt-banana. They're all over the place, but the vocalist kinda raps. Well, not so much rap as free verse with purposely inconsistent rhythms and lyrics that are written for their sound, as opposed to their meaning. Good times.

Okay, forget Alexisonfire.

Wesley Willis and The Jesus Lizard are where you want to go. I've actually been impressed with the two Melt Banana songs I've heard.If you can find it, 31Knots is kind of similar as well.

Evergreen Terrace

I'll assume, given his taste in music, that you are suggesting everything that they released after their first album, since they are all a few notches down and they suck and should never be listened to by anybody who still has one or more of their ears.

Not to be a dick or anything.

But seriously...

Signs of a Vacant Soul by Virgos Merlot, released in 1999, is very good by your typical pseudo-industrial commercial rock standard.

It's as if a five-piece southern rock outlet discovered effects peddles and mastered them artistically, instead of using them as a crutch. Actually, that's what they are.

Compare it to their second album and they sound like the second coming of Pink Floyd.

And you can buy it for 29 cents on amazon.com.

5 albums I'm currently listening to a lot:

Skeletonwitch: Beyond the Permafrost

The Locust: Safety Second, Body Last

O Brother Where Art Thou? original soundtrack

Official Limpwrist Discography

The Germs - (MIA)

Make of it what you will.