TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Sports Blogs

It seems that sports blogs are increasing is both scope and popularity, effectively choking out the more traditional newspapers. It seems like everyone has their respective favorites. Let's use this thread to suggest the good ones, flame the crap ones and discuss what's going on in blog-world.

Some of my favorites:

Deadspin - The de-facto sports blog king. It's not necessarily my favorite out there, but still a must read.

The Big Lead - Sort of like Deadspin, but without the continuous attempts at humor and inside jokes. Usually features decent analysis. I especially like the time given to critiquing the media.

Fire Joe Morgan - The definitive baseball blog. The concept has gotten a little tired, and they don't post as much any more, but the humor still works and the analysis is still on point.

MLB Trade Rumors - This used to be somewhat of a joke, but I now find this to be must-read stuff. They're still just rumors, but the stuff is always sourced. A great way to keep up on other teams.

Any other essential reading out there?

I like Kissing Suzy Kolber which is NFL humor blog...the Adventures of Michael Vick always cracks me up. With Leather is pretty good too, but NSFW. Fanhouse by AOL is solid for news and for basketball I have to pimp Talkhoops.net if for nothing else the I've been friends with the owner since I was in Preschool.

I check ProFootballTalk.com religiously. It took me awhile to warm to Mike Florio's incessant Seinfeld references, but I now consider them an endearing quirk.

I don't consider a lot at The Worldwide Leader to be must-read, but Rob Neyer's blog certainly is. A shame that it's stuck on Insider.

Joe Posnanski's blog is free, though, and it's fantastic. It's a cliche to say it, but he probably has forgotten more about sports than most people know.

I go to beerleaguer.typepad.com just about every day for Phillies stuff.

I also agree that Kissing Suzy Kolber is great. Although I don't know that I'd even call it a sports blog, it's pretty much a humor blog based around the NFL.

KSK is one of the worst and unfunniest blogs out there, beating on the same jokes all the time. When they take over Deadspin on the weekends I avoid it like the plague.

It's Boston-centric, but I really like Chad Finn's Touching All The Bases, especially now that he updates it nearly every day. He's what Bill Simmons was 5 or so years ago (before he moved to LA).

Every Day Should Be Saturday is the standard for college football absurdity and humor. And Dr. Saturday, formerly known as Sunday Morning Quarterback, is the best site for analysis of college football minutiae, stats, trends, etc.

King Kaufman at Salon is my favorite all-purpose sports guy, be it NFL or curling. Good combination of common-sense assessment and fascinating niche topics.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Deadspin sometimes makes you aware of better blogs, and 5% of the comments are funny, but the blog itself is completely played out and worthless. It served a purpose three years ago, but if you want any actual insight or humor, there's no real reason to visit Hot Manhattan Gossip: Sports Edition. The Venn diagram of "Dedicated Readers of Deadspin" and "Dedicated Consumers of Various Bill Simmons Media" surely consists of 98% overlap, and 100% of them can be shot into space, for all I care.

I don't know, Deadspin gave me this story:

I'm at the stadium, sitting along the third base line for a Blue Jays/Yankees game. This is the early Nineties, when Toronto ruled the AL East and the Yankees roster was stocked with guys like Hensley Meulens and Kevin Maas. Anyway, it's a big crowd and four Wall Street looking guys sit down in front of us, all of them in suits and one of them wearing a Blue Jays cap. Turns out they were all from Toronto, and one of them yells something innocuous at Joe Carter trots into the dugout right before the game. Immediately, this big guy in a Mattingly gamer and a shaved head stands up, points at them and says, "I don't want a hear another fucking peep out of you for the rest of the night." The Canadians all laugh and dismiss the guy as just another New York lunatic. Two minutes later, Bob Sheppard asks us to rise for the singing of the Canadian national anthem. The Canadian guy in the Blue Jays hat starts singing along, and right at the phrase "our home and native land" gets hit in the face with a full beer and then knocked the fuck out by Mattingly Gamer, who punctuates the assault by shouting, "Fucking Eskimos! You were warned!"

Let me tell you about my blog, The Sourced Mock.

There are hundreds of NFL mock drafts out there. Most of them are one uninformed fan's guess at what will happen in the draft, or, even worse, what "should" happen. Instead of creating just another mock draft, I cite reliable journalists/bloggers who have direct access to NFL sources. I take what they write, combine it with what I know about the teams and the draft prospects, and output my mock. For example:

1. Detroit Lions: LT Jason Smith (Baylor)

(23 February 2009) Tom Kowalski of mlive.com: "Another thing I have changed my mind on is the potential switch of veteran left tackle Jeff Backus to left guard. I didn't think it was a move the Lions were serious about making, but after talking to general manager Martin Mayhew, I think it's a definite consideration."

(22 February 2009) Nicholas J. Cotsonika of Detroit Free Press: "If the Lions are convinced Georgia’s Matthew Stafford is a bona fide franchise quarterback, they take him No. 1 overall. If not, they take a left tackle: Baylor’s Jason Smith or Virginia’s Eugene Monroe."

(21 February 2009) Tom Kowalski of mlive.com: "I don't think Andre Smith is an option at No. 1 and I don't think (Matthew) Stafford is an option at No. 1. The way things are going now, it's more likely the Lions would take Jason Smith or Aaron Curry."