TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Richard Wright Memorial Pink Floyd Amalgamation

Listening to The Wall, I never understand its greatness in Pink Floyd. To me, the album is above average to good., as Animals, Meddle and The Final Cut are better than The Wall.

Guest Vitamin X

Personally I thought the film gave it its true appeal. Dark Side of the Moon is probably their best album, though.

Sooo...

The Futureheads are not very good.

For Christmas, I was put in charge of babysitting several younger cousins. I decided that it would be a good time for these youngsters to have their first viewing of Tommy. Hilarity ensued.

Dark Side Of The Moon is too cliche of an album to even begin to enjoy listening to. It's strangely hypnotic, though.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What's with all the hardons for The Final Cut? That album is terrible. DSOTM mixes a good progressive sound with a big sound, catchy hooks spaced out where they're needed, and the Wizard of Oz thing. The Final Cut sounds more like a musical version of the "special thanks" section of all their other albums. They should've just recorded them all saying "Bye" and left it at that. So damn boring.

Who are these people who say their favorite Pink Floyd album is The Final Cut?!?

Holy shit worst Floyd album I've ever heard. I bought it tonight solely to own all fifteen studio releases, and I was so thoroughly disappointed. I came in with low expectations and I STILL didn't enjoy it at all. Okay maybe "When The Tigers Broke Free" is okay, but that was just tacked on the re-release a few months ago and was supposed to be on The Wall along with "What Shall We Do Now?" if not for time constraints.

It's everything annoying about Roger Waters: "wah wah my daddy died" lyrics, writing everything in list form (see "Eclipse" and "WSWDN?" which are awesome tracks in spite of list lyrics, "Take Up Thy Stethoscope..." is most certainly not), and god-awful singing by Waters with seemingly none by Gilmour. Richard Wright was gone, so his keyboard parts are replaced by Michael Kamen's unnecessarily bombastic orchestrations a la The Wall. Minus "Tigers" it ranged from watered-down Wall to just plain bad. I only bought this because I had to have them all. What a waste. I'll possibly never listen to it again.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot: the reverb abuse runs rampant again, carrying over from The Wall. Man I can't believe what an about-face I've done on that ol' double album

Pink Floyd is the Goldberg of the music world. How is that, you ask? Goldberg. Back in the 90's, he had that big hype about him, and all your friends raved about him, and you were like "Damn. I better check this guy out." Then you did, and, if you had any appreciation for wrestling, you came away dissappointed.

PF is the same way. Sub music for wrestling, and sub these guys for this guy.

Pink Floyd is the Goldberg of the music world. How is that, you ask? Goldberg. Back in the 90's, he had that big hype about him, and all your friends raved about him, and you were like "Damn. I better check this guy out." Then you did, and, if you had any appreciation for wrestling, you came away dissappointed.

Damn. I hope that was just really bad sarcasm...

Okay, so, this is the worst post ever. We can close down the board, now.

You're a dumbass.

If I had to compare Goldberg with any band it would be Boston. Both aren't really that good, but they had a certain something that made them beloved by millions. Both came out of the gate strong and everyone thought they were the next big thing. As the years went on, their appearences became less frequent and when they did appear, they were crappy. Still for some reason, promoters think they can sell out arenas.

That was another bad analogy but a bit better than Goldberg/Pink Floyd.

Sad to hear. I was reading a news article that mentioned he wrote "Great Gig in the Sky", "Us and Them", "Echoes" and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond." Holy shit, that's like four of their best songs. I also wasn't aware that he has such a role in the group's artistic development pre-Wall.

I prefer 'Atom Heart Mother' to 'Echoes' on the whole in terms of their twenty plus minute pieces. Not that it is my intention to deter this thread via what is only its third post.

It's a damn shame. I didn't appreciate his contribution to the band as much as Waters, Gilmour, or Barrett, but they were all great and any member of the band going is a shame.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

I didn't know he was ill. That's too bad.

The keyboard contributions have been covered, and he had a hand in songwriting as well (this would precipitously decline as Waters took control), but I think one of the many great things about Pink Floyd was that they had three capable lead vocalists in Waters/Gilmour/Wright, and his vocals were a calm and pleasant respite from Roger's sneering and that weird melismatic speak-sing he does on "Outside the Wall" and stuff like that if you see what I'm getting at.

The Wall is bloated, for sure. It's nearly intolerable to listen to the entire way through in one sitting, but a select few songs (In the Flesh, Nobody Home, Comfortably Numb, Hey You, The Happiest Days of Our Lives) are some of the most famous songs by Pink Floyd. I mean, shit. I've been to the Pink Floyd laser light show twice in the past three years, and it's been a blast each time.