TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

EliteXC: Heat

I also think Cyborg vs Carano is a foregone conclusion. Every single one of Gina's opponents up until now were making their debuts in the promotion and on the last 2 shows they've went out of their way to showcase Cyborg and both times they got an opinion on her from Gina. I'd say we see that for their first womens championship* in 2009.

*I know Elite has a hard-on for her as many of us often do but even their biggest supporter should be able to see the risk in putting Carano in a title fight with her weight-making issues.

Honestly...and of course, I'm NO expert on this topic...I would say they hold off just a little bit longer on Carano/Cyborg. I mean, I really REALLY want to see it, but from a business perspective, I think EliteXC better start doing some rebuilding from the eventual fallout of the Kimbo debacle before they blow their wad on this money match. Right now, after that, what else do they have? From reading what you guys have been saying, there really IS nothing else right now.

I agree that a longer build could help the interest in the fight but with the possibility of Elite going down like the Hindenberg looming they should strike while the iron is hot.

Yeah, that's definitely the other side of it...there's got to be an "Oh shit, what the fuck are we gonna do now???" thing going on at that front office. Might just HAVE to pull that trigger before they lose the fans for good.

Third, assuming that the fight is great (always a dangerous assumption in MMA), they could probably position it as a "best of three" which (sorry LT) would be good for business.
'

It doesn't bother me any, as rematches and rubber matches are hardly the realm of pro wrestling only. Of course, that's assuming that the two have a fight which warrants a (relatively quick) rematch, much less split the two bouts.

I listened to this interview with Seth and he basically says EliteXC bribed him to not take Kimbo down and just try to stand up and punch with him. He got paid "in the six figure range" for the fight. He was still pretty confident that he would win the fight standing up with him. He also said his original plan was to try to use his push kicks, but it ended up being unnecessary. He's now trying to work it into a fight with Tito Ortiz.

http://monsters.fm/pages/monsters_media.ht...article=4355604

Elite XC really gambled with Carano & Cyborg on that last show. It's very much pro-wrestling logic, in that you give them fights they *should* win, and then build it up when they do win. The problem is, MMA is not pro-wrestling, and booking like that is a fool's errand. So many things can go wrong, they just got lucky. Ironically when they got critically unlucky with Kimbo.

I'd like to see that fight, but it's hard to see what Elite XC should do with it. Gina apparently popped a good rating, so I suppose you could do it on another special...but at the same time, that may be able to headline a PPV...but then on the flipside, if it fails then Elite would be crippled. Well, they already are...Maybe having a limb chopped off would be more appropriate.

Fight wise, nothing was really blow away on Elite last Saturday. I...honestly can't remember much beyond Gina's fight, Kimbo dying, and Arlovski killing a man. Ah. Jake Shields fought Paul Daley. That was fun, if not completely onesided when it hit the ground. Ah! Ninja vs. Radach. That was probably the most fun fight, and it was reeeeeeeeeeeally sloppy. Radach lived up to Facemashing-Fu though. Apparently the best fight on the show in Cyborg/Takahashi wasn't even shown except for some clips that I missed. So that's a shame. I don't know why Elite put Cyborg in the undercard when they want that fight to be huge. Logic states you'd put her on the main card.

And Kimbo getting 500,000 is fucking funny in hindsight.

The full list of salaries included:

Seth Petruzelli: $50,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)*

def. Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson: $500,000*

Jake Shields: $50,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Paul Daley: $12,000

Andrei Arlovski: $500,000 (no win bonus)+

def. Roy Nelson: $80,000

Gina Carano: $25,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

def. Kelly Kobold: $6,000

Benji Radach: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Murilo "Ninja" Rua: $35,000

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)

def. Yoko Takahashi: $2,000

Conor Heun: $5,000 ($2,500 win bonus)

def. Edson Berto: $6,000

Mikey Gomez: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus)

def. Lorenzo Borgomeo: $1,500

Bryan Hamade: $1,000 ($500 win bonus)

def. David Gomez: $1,000

Nicolae Cury: $1,500 ($750 win bonus)

def. Jorge Bouchet: $1,000

* - Ferguson and Petruzelli negotiated new purses after Shamrock was forced out of the event.

+ - Arlovski and Nelson's purses were paid by Affliction Entertainment. The two competitors fought under the company's name on the CBS broadcast and were on loan to EliteXC.

My god Affliction is paying way more than they need to for their fighters. What did Andre top out at in the UFC 100k? I guess they figure they need to go way higher to get the bigger names. Cause they paid Rothwell 250k for his last fight...I can't imagine the UFC giving him 1/5 that much.

A guy I play WoW and Warhammer Online with apparently went to school with him.

yep seen em all thats just seth dude. its hard to explain, known him since i was 9 or 10 he's always been fucked up like that. He just loves his life, martial arts have been it mostly. although the nigga is opening a fucking jamba juice shop, that does kinda throw things into perspective...

hmmmm...

That's his take on the pictures...

That's also his bad grammar and capitalization.

I'm amazed that people actually think he's gay. Not that it's common, but a lot of guys, especially in university, dress up in androgynous shit for stupid costume parties and the like all the time. He went a little overboard, but I guess he's just one of the crazy ones.

I thought about a way out that they could've utilized Saturday night.

Get Shamrock and Kimbo who were both at the arena into the cage and have them cut a promo for their future fight. Given their volatile natures I'm sure both fighters would've given the audience something they could hold onto until they fought. A few punches thrown etc.

Shamrock would be cleared in 38-43 days; that would make a perfect fight opportunity for Thanksgiving Day at halftime of the NFL game. 15 minutes (or less) of the prized male demographic of 18-34 watching Kimbo and Shamrock go at it.

I thought about a way out that they could've utilized Saturday night.

Get Shamrock and Kimbo who were both at the arena into the cage and have them cut a promo for their future fight. Given their volatile natures I'm sure both fighters would've given the audience something they could hold onto until they fought. A few punches thrown etc.

Shamrock would be cleared in 38-43 days; that would make a perfect fight opportunity for Thanksgiving Day at halftime of the NFL game. 15 minutes (or less) of the prized male demographic of 18-34 watching Kimbo and Shamrock go at it.

Only if it's in an empty arena.

I wonder how many times Brett Rogers called Shaw asking to fight Kimbo, and also how pissed Brett is that he probably won't get to fight Slice any time soon because if Kimbo wins, it really hurts Brett's credibility.

I wonder how many times Brett Rogers called Shaw asking to fight Kimbo, and also how pissed Brett is that he probably won't get to fight Slice any time soon because if Kimbo wins, it really hurts Brett's credibility.

Brett would blast Kimbo into oblivion... To think otherwise is retarded.

Yes, because UFC 69 never happened. Not trying to be an asshole, just saying, stranger things have happened.

Yes, because UFC 69 never happened. Not trying to be an asshole, just saying, stranger things have happened.

No... Stranger things have not happend. Matt Serra ALWAYS had a punchers chance against GSP, because he always had a powerful right hand. The only ones who thought Serra was a complete joke and stood no chance were the annoying GSP nuthuggers.

Kimbo Slice got knocked out from a jab from a fighter who came into that fighter at 205.5... How do you expect him to handle punches from a much more powerful puncher like Brett Rogers, who is naturally bigger then Kimbo?

Just to play devil's advocate... I think Kimbo, if anything, always has a least a puncher's change in every fight he's in. I mean that description is pretty accurate in regards to Kimbo, actually.