TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BX

So, what's your job?

I am currently unemployed, no doubt a side effect of my picking the utterly useless "Professional Writing" major. You'd think there'd be a large variety of jobs out there for someone with my skill set, but there aren't, especially considering that I live out in the middle of nowhere. I'm trying to find work as a freelance writer and that's going nowhere. Christ, I am such a boner.

Guest Smues
Auto insurance underwriter. Exciting as it sounds.

I had a professor whose wife was an underwriter. I remember this because everytime he mentioned it (and for some odd reason he mentioned it alot) he would say "My wife is an undertaker. I mean underwriter." God I hated that guy.

Guest Smues

I always assumed it was meant as a joke. Either that or he just had a terrible time trying to say underwriter. But he did it so many times (dozens and dozens of times over two agonizing quarters with that blowhard) I have to assume it was meant as a joke.

I'll use this thread to bitch about why I walked from my last employer. Up until the end of March of this year, I was a Web Master/Warehouse Manager/Marketing Director/IT Manager for a wholesale company. It paid OK considering I live with the parents still ($955 before taxes, twice a month), but I ended up walking on them. The general manager was the laziest excuse for a human being I have ever met. He literally ran the place from his house, over the phone. He would call 50-60 times a day to ask what you were working on, only to say well stop, I need you to do blah blah blah. He once called me while I was packing shipments, to ask me to stop what I was doing, and look up some Call of Duty codes for him on Gamefaqs because he kept dying on a level. I ended up so stressed by the son of a bitch, that about once a week, I couldn't come into work due to paralyzing upper-body pains caused by the sheer stress I was under. At one point I had to go to the emergency room because I was certain I was having a heart attack (my blood pressure had hit 180/120). Turns out my heart was 100% OK, I was just in the middle of a nervous breakdown. Since walking away, save for the sore back muscles which I still have (6 months later), and the occasional panic attack (the stress at this place REALLY did a number on me), I have been relatively fine.

Now, I work for myself. I do grounds-keeping and computer repair/website setups, to pay the bills. Though, with Fall being here, the grass cutting has GREATLY slowed, so I'm in the process of trying to find permanent work.

TSM: We're wonderfully lower-middle class!

Sorry I'm late.

I'm an analytical chemist in the drug development division at Bristol-Myers Squibb. I might just help save your life!

I'm a level two communications and field service technician for Gtech Corporation, a worldwide gaming supplier. I have a photo id and a company vehicle and everything.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
A photo ID! No shit?! You get to wear it on a lanyard too??????????????????

When I was interning at a sports station, I had the misfortune of running a booth at the Milwaukee Mile for some Indy race. Since I was technically the media, I had a media pass, on a lanyard and everything. I found out from some other folks at the station that lanyards are "very in" among the racing crowd, irrespective of credentials or lack thereof. So what you'd have were all these slack-jawed yokels walking around with either empty lanyards, or lanyards that only had their general-admission tickets in them. It was pretty pathetic, but not as pathetic as the fact that they were plastered at 10 on a Sunday morning, or (and this is undoubtedly related to that) their utter inability to grasp the logistics of a velcro-based mini golf game that involves lofting the ball onto a big canvas wall. They just putted it along the ground, yelled "AW DANG," and then went back to the end of the line to fail again.

I cook for 40-50 (mostly) old people 3 meals a day, 13 hours a day(4:30 am to 6:00 pm), 3 days a week at a hospital. I really should get a 2nd job with my other 4 days off a week but whatever.

If theres one thing I can suggest, its that the Bistro Crocs are the most comfortable shoes in the world for being on your feet 13 hours a day. Well worth the $40.

Guest Vitamin X

I've heard of those! Mario Batali endorsed the orange ones. I can't imagine not wearing socks working as a line cook, though.

Depends. Someday when I'm rich I'll hopefully have one pair of dress shoes I bust out for the fanciest occasions that costs that much. There are always shoes in GQ that are $500+.

Yeah, I have like five pairs of them. I bought them when I worked at a thrift store. Some guys whole wardrobe came in, which typically means he died. That didn't bother me... real sharp dresser, this guy was. So I bought all his shoes. Some real nice Beatle boots were the highlight. Italian, the lot.

Still, they're not as comfortable as some of my soccer shoes. They always seem to be the best. (Indoor soccer shoes, I mean, not cleats)

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Depends. Someday when I'm rich I'll hopefully have one pair of dress shoes I bust out for the fanciest occasions that costs that much. There are always shoes in GQ that are $500+.

Mik, you're my buddy now, since we're both on staff, but this post was kinda homosexual.

Mik, you're my buddy now, since we're both on staff, but this post was kinda homosexual.

Czech, weren't you just recently deriding some posters for using "elitist" as the ultimate negative for a poster? Now you're calling a guy homosexual for wanting to look nice?

I feel we are inching closer to a TSM Fashion Thread. I envision three or four of us discussing how great we dress, and the rest of the board making fun of us.

Rlly expensive shoes are a status symbol. Status symbols are, at base, a means of attracting women by communicating/synbolizing the wearer's material wealth. Ergo, desiring $500 shoes is essentially the opposite of homo. QED

Related: one of my dreams is to look like I just stepped out of an Esquire fashion spread. Unfortunately I'm getting a degree in English and am thus doomed to spend the rest of my life shopping off the clearance racks at Macy's :(

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Czech, weren't you just recently deriding some posters for using "elitist" as the ultimate negative for a poster? Now you're calling a guy homosexual for wanting to look nice?

Ooh, good catch. Gonna be tough to get out of this one. Here goes: it would be okay with other articles of clothing, just not shoes? There's just something about shoes. Maybe it's my own bitterness toward being unable to find nice shoes. Most of my wardrobe is respectable, I just wind up with big ugly clunky shoes.

You have no idea what you're talking about, Chilly Willy.

I have never in my life attracted a woman based on money. They don't know where Nighthawk found that house on paper street. They don't know if I bought it or I was just squatting. Neither would surprise them.

On the subject of paying a lot for nice clothes or shoes, I have always gone for the nicer-looking items (suits and such) that come relatively cheaply. A big part of it is making the clothes look good, not vice vera. I shined my shoes at home weekly, steam cleaned and pressed them at home, and matched the right things together. I had people ask me if I went to a tailor or splurged for Armani suits, and they were stunned when I told them I bought almost solely from the Stafford line at JC Penney's.

Also, a person's look is going to be a big part of how nice the more expensive clothing items look (still talking suits and dress shoes here). A fit person that is well groomed, matches his suits, shirts, ties and shoes well, and knows how to wear them will look better than the guy in the $1,000 suit that doesn't suit him at all.

Assuming I don't lose my job when I have my appeal on Wednesday, I run the warehouse at my local major supermarket.

I also work on the back door with deliveries, unfortunately when printing my name badge, they listed me only as (my name) - Back Door.

That has not gotten old.