TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Fashion

I will say right now, I own 3 sweaters. I've worn them all three times, once each.

I hate sweaters. HATE.

I hate sweaters. HATE.

I see your hatred for sweaters and raise you long-sleeves in general. I would say that the ratio of short sleeved-shirts in my wardrobe to long-sleeved is something like 12:1 or close to that. I do like the few hoodies that I own, and wear them out often.

Any time you run into me I will likely be wearing a shirt that I bought from either an indie show or a garage sale.

I have this one sweater that is my favorite article of clothing. I don't know how to describe it other than that it's tight, it has some vertical stripes, and it has superfluous button holes on the sides. Wearing it out one night led to me using the only pickup line I've ever used on a girl. Have I told this story here before? Probably, as it's one of the few fleeting moments of triumph in a life otherwise full of indignities. Anyhoo, I go up this girl...Allison. Kinda looked like Sinead O'Connor in the "Nothing Compares 2 U" video. Cute, pixieish, short hair. So I say to her "Hey, how are you? I was just wondering what you thought of my sweater." And she thought it was funny and told the story whenever she introduced me for the rest of the time that I knew her. Alas, I came off very poorly on a subsequent date and was never able to nail her. But I've still got the memories. And I've still got the sweater.

I hate sweaters. HATE.

I see your hatred for sweaters and raise you long-sleeves in general. I would say that the ratio of short sleeved-shirts in my wardrobe to long-sleeved is something like 12:1 or close to that. I do like the few hoodies that I own, and wear them out often.

Any time you run into me I will likely be wearing a shirt that I bought from either an indie show or a garage sale.

I used to hate all long sleeves as well, but I have a couple of long sleeve T's that are really quite comfortable, my ratio of short to long is likely 9:1 but that's mainly a couple of dress shirts I have for different occasions.

Cut-offs? Really?

Most people think of Tobias Fünke, but they're not from blue-jeans, they're from grey pants. They're somewhat fashionable in the bike culture, and I like wearing them more than pants. I inherited the "I get hot way too quickly" gene from my dad.

Leave me out of this. Of note, I bought my first pair of jorts this summer.

And finally, most of my aforementioned workshirts were bought during college for a lark. As I described in Things That Piss You Off, I can essentially where any item of clothing I own, anywhere - it's almost entirely golf shirts and pants or khakis, nearly all items are a solid colour.

In addition to the jorts, I bought a pair of jeans this summer, the first time I'd worn them since high school, and even they were for a placement agency job. I do still own a few t-shirts and jerseys for barbecues and whatnot in the summer.

And yes, I too hate long-sleeves altogether. I have a turtleneck that I almost refuse to wear for such reasons.

I think we did a fashion topic a long, long time ago here. The only reason I recollect it is because people seemed shocked that I owned so many sneakers/shoes for whatever reason.

Fashion-wise, I'm in a slight transition phase with my casual wear. I'm slowly edging out a lot of the "gimmicky" types of t-shirts I would wear in favor of solid colors, or nice designs/patterns but not with logos or catchphrases smeared all over them.

I've always been a bit of a prep (for the 3.7 of you who didn't know that) so I have an immense collection of button down shirts. At last count, I legitimately had around 75 in active rotation hanging in my closet. I like polo shirts in the summer, but honestly I'm not much of a fan of them. In a worst case scenario, I'd more often than not just wear a long sleeve button down with the shoulders rolled up.

Regarding the longsleeves talk, I love longsleeve t-shirts even in fairly warm weather (I'll rock a cargo shorts/longsleeve combo during the fall). I'll also do the double layer and short sleeve over a longsleeve look.

I rock the jeans/button down look more than anything. I've got a good stock of jeans (around 12 pairs) but some are started to feel their use. For some reason I have a tough time finding my jean size these days, despite me being an average 33x34. I'm fine with a 32x34 for some stores, but I'm picky about my jeans. I just find some more comfortable than others, so most pairs have come from Express or American Eagle. Same goes for dress pants. For some reason Express hates the 34 length, so I buy my dress pants from there in size 33x32, which works though since I don't want them to look too baggy.

I've rarely worn hats since I went with the close crop look 3 years ago, so I've bought only a handful of hats since 2005.

I love a good hoodie too. I've got a good 12 of them, some that I'll actually wear out on a casual night out, and some that are reserved for lounging around on a cold day.

Footwear I've got a pretty large rotation. Off the top of my head:

2 pairs Aldo boots

1 pair Aldo dress shoes

1 pair Skechers sneakers

5 pairs of Skechers casual/dress shoes in various colors and looks

2 pairs of Adidas Superstars (one pair with black stripes, the other with blue)

1 pair Skechers boots (for winter, they're the workboot style)

1 pair Mossimo black casual dress shoes

2 pairs of dress shoes, 1 black and 1 brown (can't recall the designers)

1 pair white Nike Cortez's

...and I'm missing a few, I'm sure.

Keep in mind that in addition to whatever I wear on a regular basis from my closet, I've got about 4 more storage bins full of clothes that I'll rotate (some with seasonal stuff like sweaters, shorts, hoodies, etc., others with more t-shirts, casual button downs).

I kinda dress like Bruiser. Same style, urban logos and sports related clothing for me. But I don't have that many shoes yet.

I will never wear white dude styled clothes. Ever. In my whole life.

I went through a phase where I would steal the look of someone and rock it. Mainly skaters, sometimes musicians, very rarely actors.

Nowadays, I just wear jeans, a t-shirt, my blue flannel, and a beanie.

And I own a shit ton of shoes. I don't know why. I own, probably, 30 pairs of shoes. Most of them, I got for free from my Adidas hookup, but the rest are bought and paid for.

Edit: I just looked through all of them, and I noticed I only have 7 pairs without a pro skaters name on them. Hm.

Ya'll niggas own way too many pairs of shoes. I have 3 and they all function equally well.

True. I own a couple pairs of shoes, but I really only wear one out. I like them. They're dirty ass black vans slip on with my big toe protruding out of them, talcum powder stains from when my bike tire exploded, and mud stains from the day I got a blowjob from the lesbian in the park.

Ya'll niggas own way too many pairs of shoes. I have 3 and they all function equally well.

My reasons:

1) I hate, hate, hate creases. Infrequent use slows this process down incredibly.

2) I'm one of those dickheads that likes to have the color scheme of his shoes match whatever shirt he's wearing.

3) I love the versatility. Most people wear a lot of different shirts and even a good selection of pants. Why shouldn't that apply to shoes?

I kinda dress like Bruiser. Same style, urban logos and sports related clothing for me.

Could be all the drinks I didn't pay for because the Cubs suck ass, but I'm pretty sure that Dodger fandom aside, you and I could be pretty tight in real life.

What, are you Asian or something?

No. Like I said, the IZOD clothing is mainly my golf apperal and the Tommy clothing is from when I worked there.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
I invariably wind up with hoodies and shirts that have at least modest urban ties (that's one way of putting it), but nothing gaudy.

Wait, are you black? I was always under the impression that you were a small light fellow. I mean, I know you refer to non-rap as "white music," and you're a Cubs fan, which is up there with the Los Angeles Angels and the Boston Any Team as "cracker-assiest fanbase in sports," but I didn't know you had "urban ties," unless you meant like a necktie with a skyline on it. Maybe you could convert. Convert to black. It's sort of like fading to black, but more of just one moment in time, BANG, converted to black, whereas fading to black would take a few seconds. I mean, there's going to be a learning curve of sorts, a screening process, make sure you're fit for conversion, but the conversion to black ITSELF is just one moment. Go for it. I'll convert to Judaism, you can convert to black. We'll keep diaries, compare and contrast our experiences in our new lives.

"So hey, you in the mood for ribs? I was thinking maybe we could go to this soul food joint I know, and I won't feel awkward about it now that I, y'know, converted and all."

"I thought that means you can't eat pork now, since you're a Muslim."

"Oh, no! No no no no no. I didn't convert to Islam. I converted to black."

"Ohhh. See, when you said that the other day I thought you meant you converted to Islam, like, as in 'Nation of.'"

"No. Just black. I just converted to black."

Guest Vitamin X
I'll convert to Judaism, you can convert to black. We'll keep diaries, compare and contrast our experiences in our new lives.

Whoopi Goldberg can be you guys' spirit guide.

Guest Czecherbear

I've always been fashion retarded, but my fashion retardation hit its nadir in the year 2000, when I decided that I would enter the new millennium by looking like a complete idiot. I can't explain what possessed me to feel this way, nor can I explain why the materials to do so were readily available, but I decided that my New Thing would be to wear lots of clashing colors. But not like in an ugly sweater way. I've evolved to ugly sweaters. No, this entailed wearing bright yellow fleece shirts with cherry-red pants, slate-blue fleece vests over bright orange t-shirts with olive green cargo pants, red fleece vests over light blue shirts, powder blue V-necks with yellow pants, all of which were completed with big clunky white gym shoes, y'know, so that they'd go with anything. Also worth noting, I decided to get highlights at this time, as many kids were from 1999 to 2001, so I had that going for me too. I think the worst of the worst was when I decided I would go hang out with some friends, mostly girls, and I almost left the house in a navy blue sweater with bright yellow gym shorts. I had to be talked out of that by three family members, and the scene wasn't pretty, because I really felt I was on to something at the time. Whatever it was, I outgrew it by the start of the new year, when I just went into my groove of wearing plain old sweaters for most of the year, in which for the most part I've stayed. I really wish I didn't have to dredge up this chapter of my life, which was weird, bad, and probably gay. It had gone unanecdoted for years until now, thankfully.

SUPPLEMENTAL VISUAL AID:

imsorryforme.jpg

Guest Vitamin X
I've always been fashion retarded, but my fashion retardation hit its nadir in the year 2000, when I decided that I would enter the new millennium by looking like a complete idiot. I can't explain what possessed me to feel this way, nor can I explain why the materials to do so were readily available, but I decided that my New Thing would be to wear lots of clashing colors. But not like in an ugly sweater way. I've evolved to ugly sweaters. No, this entailed wearing bright yellow fleece shirts with cherry-red pants, slate-blue fleece vests over bright orange t-shirts with olive green cargo pants, red fleece vests over light blue shirts, powder blue V-necks with yellow pants, all of which were completed with big clunky white gym shoes, y'know, so that they'd go with anything. Also worth noting, I decided to get highlights at this time, as many kids were from 1999 to 2001, so I had that going for me too. I think the worst of the worst was when I decided I would go hang out with some friends, mostly girls, and I almost left the house in a navy blue sweater with bright yellow gym shorts. I had to be talked out of that by three family members, and the scene wasn't pretty, because I really felt I was on to something at the time. Whatever it was, I outgrew it by the start of the new year, when I just went into my groove of wearing plain old sweaters for most of the year, in which for the most part I've stayed. I really wish I didn't have to dredge up this chapter of my life, which was weird, bad, and probably gay. It had gone unanecdoted for years until now, thankfully.

The visual aid made this post truly great. But even still, I don't know if highlighting your hair is as bad as full-out bleaching it like I did. There's probably a picture of me somewhere in the house with that hair and it was awful.

I'm kind of glad in hindsight that my home bleach job during high school failed and made me a sort of red-head which didn't look too atrocious on me since I have natural reddish highlights anyways.

What does TSM think of girls wearing leggings and ugg boots in the winter? I used to think this was retarded because it looks ridiculous, but then I realized that I've spent most of my life thinking "How do girls wear such uncomfortable shoes" and now that they're wearing clothes strictly based on comfort, I feel the female community has made some sort of shallow-fashion-based-progress.

What's even more ridiculous is some chick wearing ugg boots with a mini-skirt in 80-degree weather. Or worse, when I was in high school (Catholic school mind you), girls would wear uggs and skirts with no leggings/tights in the middle of winter in Michigan. It was usually the slutty ones who did this.

Guest Vitamin X

A popular fashion out here is girls wearing dresses or whatever with leggings and shoes. Hipster couture.

Been a while since I bought a pair of sneakers, but that ended a couple of hours ago when I hit up the outlet mall that opened at midnight. Picked these up for $40 after discounts and all that:

nifu6gn50-01.jpg

Also got a nice zip hoody sweater from Banana Republic and some other basics from random stores. No real long waits, so it was worth it. I came back into town to see people camped outside of Circuit City and Best Buy. Schmucks.

A popular fashion out here is girls wearing dresses or whatever with leggings and shoes. Hipster couture.

Church. All of the arty gals here in Toronto tend to rock the wool leggings under a jean or burberry skirt.