TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Offseason Thread

I bet all those teams who were afraid of Boras are kicking themselves over passing on Rick Porcello now that it looks like that kid is for fuckin' real.

I think Brad Holt kinda got snubbed from that list, Cheech. Jefry Marte is the third Met on the list, but really, there's at least a couple Mets inbetween he and the next Met on there, Wilmer Flores. Holt, as I said, and also definitely Jenry Mejia. Maybe even Scott Moviel, a guy a lot of websites like Baseball America are kind of sour on because he only throws 92, but I like because he's 6'11 and the ball probably looks like it's coming in at 96-97 and has awesome command for someone so huge.

I hope the M's pick up Griffey. It would be nice to see him again after watching him play in Bellingham as a child and Seattle as a teen.

The Brewers and WTMJ officially bringing in Cory Provus to replace the departed Jim Powell on the radio.

Can any of the Cubs fans here tell me what to expect from this guy?

Guest Czech please!

Certainly.

First of all, it's a huge bummer that you guys lost Jim Powell. I think he did a great job calling the game, and I enjoyed his crosstalk with Uecker. Braves fans, you're getting a very good announcer. Anyway, Cory Provus. He's a guy. Sorry. He sounds like he's in his late 20s, early 30s, kind of sounds a little like Thom Brennaman but he doesn't project quite as well, always seems a little tense and constricted. No discernible personality, but then again he had a limited role in Cubs broadcasts: pre, post, scoreboards, sat in on play-by-play for the 5th and was particularly tense and awkward in that role. I'll cut him some slack on that, though, because he was working with Ron Santo, who didn't go out of his way to develop a rapport with anyone that wasn't Pat Hughes or Andy Masur. However, if the Brewers keep their solo format (it's, 3rd, 4th, and 8th for the backup, right?), then that doesn't really bode well for him either. In short, expect an assembly-line broadcasting school grad. It'd be nice if 720 could bring Andy Masur back from San Diego, but he's probably enjoying himself there. My guess is that they give the gig to Judd Sirott, who has done a nice job on pre/post for the Blackhawks.

To be honest, the best way the Brewers could handle their broadcasting is to do a simulcast. Bob Uecker is too good and too important to not maximize his presence. I'm willing to bet that the majority of Crew fans prefer the radio call to the TV call, so they might as well. Brian Anderson is nothing special and kind of irritating in his false-homerness, and Bill Schroeder is another in the long line of locally treasured incompetents (see also Mike Shannon, Ron Santo, Jerry Remy, the entire White Sox booth). Just whittle the whole thing down to Bob Uecker and Craig Coshun, who I feel has better pipes than either Anderson or Provus. Local, too, right?

EDIT: oh and to allay any fears that "oh no! he grew up in Highland Park! he's gonna root for the Cubs during games! ahhh!", he wasn't particularly effusive about the Cubs when he was working for them, so I don't expect him to start now. He probably just won't take petty shots at Cubs fans.

Guest Czech please!

That happened like six months ago. DJ switched over to radio. Man all four of them are so terrible at their jobs it's not even funny anymore.

The Brewers lost Trenni Kusnierek too? Yikes. She actually had thoughts. I guess she's on the MLB Network now, but I haven't seen her on there, just Hazel Mae. Wasn't she the one who said she would fuck guys on the Red Sox but not let it influence her reporting?

Yep...and they replaced Trenni with Telly Hughes, who is incredibly bad from what I've seen. The Brewers organization really took it on the chin this off season between on field departures, TV/radio changes, Jack Zdurencik (sp?) leaving, etc. At least Yost is gone, I guess.

As far as Uke...as much as I love the guy, he's clearly slipped a little in the past few years. I don't think making him the focal point of the radio _and_ TV broadcasts would be the best way to go at this time. I actually think Brian Anderson is fine, and Schroeder doesn't bother me as much as he seems to bug some fans.

Guest Czech please!

The Hart signing is a great move. I'm not convinced Gagne will make the team.

Guest Smues

Please oh please let Griffey choose Seattle. Supposedly he'll make his choice tomorrow. I know Atlanta has no outfield, and Griffey could be cheap, but I'd like somebody with a pair of knees. Let him go to the AL and DH.

Guest Czech please!

How does one year of Ken Griffey get the Mariners closer to a championship? This is an organization that's been wandering around in submediocrity for the last five years. Trotting out what's left of Ken Griffey doesn't help them. That's a waste of money. Let Jack Z allocate their resources toward drafting, development, and long-term plans, not novelty free agent signings. If it takes a part-time DH with nothing in the tank to bring fans out to M's games, they don't deserve the effort being expended toward rehabilitating that club.

Gagne might not make the team, but at least he's got a shot. It's reported the contract gives him an out clause to re-try free agency if he's not on the MLB roster by a certain time (I'm not sure of the exact details). The Brewers are taking their usual "Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks", approach with the bullpen. It's worked before, so I can't fault them for doing it this way again.

The price they're paying Corey Hart seems a tad high, seeing how badly he did in the second half of last year. He finished the year with a .300 OBP, which is pretty bad. I think he will rebound and have a solid year, though, as he probably had a bit of a sophomore slump last season, being that it was only his second full year in the majors.

Edit: And as far as Griffey...a nostalgia trip to Seattle isn't going to do anything for the Mariners at this point. It doesn't even seem like a move Jack Zdurencik would make. Do the fans even really want him back, given how he left the team years ago?

Supposedly Brian Roberts is close to signing a four year deal with the Orioles, according to MLBTR. If I never hear Roberts connected to a trade rumor again, it will be too soon.