TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkius Maximus

Fallout 3

I had a weird thing happen where the dude that was trying to get with the Nuka Cola lady was immediately attacked and killed by a Yoa Guai after he offered to pay double for the Quantum bottles I was going to retrieve for her. Kind of amusing, as I just took his Kneecapper gun and stuff.

Also, does the game occasionally freeze up on PS3 for anyone else? I've had that happen four or five times now, and it's kind of aggravating.

I've had it lag between loading screens on the 360 version. Though it only happened the once, I had been playing Fallout3 for about 6 hours straight at the time, so it was quite possible the game/machine needed a rest.

Yeah, I don't get why a console would freeze up that much. Maybe I need to save the game more often or something.

I think my PS3 might be possessed. For some reason when I booted it up earlier, the video settings had "reset", and it had me go through the video/audio setup again, saying it "detected an HDMI connection", which is what I've had it hooked up with the whole thing. While I have the menus in 1080i, for some reason I can't get it to output games in 1080i again (it was before). Anyone know what setting I need to tweak?

Get more traffic and answers in the PS3 thread, me thinks.

Done. Still hoping for a response there. Just weird that suddenly the system "reset" those settings for whatever reason.

Fallout 3 DLC is out.

I'm about an hour or so into it. It's interesting...The lack of healing items at the beginning and lack of equipment makes it a challenge. It's hard taking out soldiers with just a silenced 10mm even with 100 in small guns.

So far, I'm enjoying it...but I got a headache from playing and took a break.

I beat it...I got a solid four hours or so out of it. I'm satisfied.

Here's some thoughts for those on the fence.

- If you liked non-fighting in Fallout 3, stay away. The entire DLC is built around murdering commie scum. No alternates. No nothing.

- There are pretty big set pieces and some cool enemies you have to face. I fought two Chimera tanks that were both tough to take down, and the Chinese Snipers with their stealth field were fucking annoying.

- The DLC actually gets progressively easier. You start off bewildered (if it's your first time through), a 10mm Silenced pistol, and a knife. You also can't pick up weapons from dead enemies. And you're alone for the beginning. I had a hell of a time surviving. Later on, you'll find plenty of health/ammo stations, you'll have allies, and it's just generally easier on you. Odd how it went. I breezed through the final bit, which is just weird.

At the end, you get the highly touted gadgets (Gauss Rifle, Stealth Suit, new power armor) and it ends when you finish the simulation. The Gauss Rifle is the third strongest Energy Rifle in the game, and runs off Microfusion cells unlike the Alien Blaster & Firelance. Meaning if you can use a Plasma you can use Gauss. I haven't played with those, but the Gauss Rifle will knock enemies down on critical hits...and then with your next shot you get a virtual mafia style murder shot. I shot one guy and sent him FLYING across the room. Then shot him in the head ON the ground. I've never had the Alien Blaster or Firelance and dunno if they do that, but I know other Energy weapons do not. On the flipside, you get one shot per reload. Meaning you need to make it count. On this character I ran through, he wasn't great at Energy weapons. Next I'm gonna run through with my character at 100. I expect great things.

Overall, it depends on your taste. The Fallout 3 forum is ON FIRE with complaints, but meh. If you enjoy some shooter fun, and want some high powered shit for your character, it's a fine investment. But it's more or less just putting you in the role of an action hero. Nothing really deep.

I can understand that mentality. But it's not like they hid what this DLC would be about. It's just a war simulation, and you can get neat shit at the end. I've seen people bitch about it, and it basically boils down to that. They're unhappy at what they got...but this is all Bethesda promised with this one.

Sucks about the exclusivity thing though. Nothing you can do about that. :(

The only thing that kinda bugs me, is Microsoft's inane MS point structure. I had to pony up for 1000 points even though I already had 200. So MS's point structure robbed me of a few dollars. I'll probably just use it towards Pitt next month.

The only thing that kinda bugs me, is Microsoft's inane MS point structure. I had to pony up for 1000 points even though I already had 200. So MS's point structure robbed me of a few dollars. I'll probably just use it towards Pitt next month.

There's another Fallout3 DLC out next month, and another the month after, so if you have MS points left over, then you should be sorted.

I'm torn as to whether I should play this now or just hold out for when all three are out, the game's a little less fresh in my mind, and I can roll through with a completely new character.

It'd be interesting to see how it'd play with a new character. I played with my original, 100 in small guns, level 20, and I couldn't figure out if the game was going off my stats in the simulation, or if it had it's own plan. I found myself shockingly inaccurate in the sim at times.

On the other hand, if you beat it with a low level, the low level will get some epic gear. The only downside, is I think they made it so only one or two special items can be repaired. Since many are one of a kind items in the Fallout 3 era, you can't get the Gauss Rifle repaired for example. But while the rifle still works, you'd tear people up.

I think I'd wait, honestly...Because there isn't a lot to OA outside of some fun battles. The scale of it is pretty impressive , but it's linear and there's no possibilities for alternatives. You just...do the missions. That's really all there is. The Pitt is SUPPOSED to offer a serious storyline, choices, and moral issues, while Broken Steel is basically a full expansion pack with level caps raised, a new main storyline, and so on.

not sure if i should get this DLC of not. The stealth suit sounds sweet and the gun but it doesn't sound that fun, and 10 bucks is a lot for what it is. 5 would have been more reasonable.

Boy, going on the Bethesda Fallout 3 forums, they have a lot of angry PS3 owners on their hands it seems like...between the lack of DLC and the bugs in the game they don't seem to quick about fixing.

Just cleared the game last night with full good karma. I had done nearly every sidequest i could find and started the main missions around lvl 15. As soon as i started to crack on with the main missions, i was disapointed, far too short and my lvling had made everything quite easy to dispatch with. All the hype of getting power armour died when i realised how close i was to the end of the game. Shame really.

For the record, i was on PS3, can honestly say it wasnt that buggy, just a few lockups here and there. And while the lack of no DLC does annoy me, it doesnt stop it being an awsome game.

That's the funniest thing about Fallout 3. Even if you up the difficulty to the highest, after you hit a certain point there's really nothing left that can give you problems. As long as you're packing a great weapon, enough ammo, and a good set of armor you are set. In this way, Bethesda kind of missed one of the elements of Fallout 1 and 2. No matter what your level in those games, there's always enemies out there that will give you problems. A pack of Wandingo's? Or god forbid a pack of Fire Gecko's and you weren't fully prepared.

I think that's another problem...Most times you run into enemies one on one. In past games due to it being turnbased, you'd run into swarms. Most enemies = More problems. There's PC mods that increase the number of enemies you run into at any one time, but that doesn't help the 360 or PS3 versions.

It makes me wonder how in the hell they're gonna pull off raising the level cap for the March DLC. Just because idiots were screaming for it, doesn't mean they should do it. They'll have to introduce new enemies to make the game any sort of challenge at all. Or increase the spawns. Running into five Deathclaws even at level 25 or whatever would probably be pretty goddamn terrifying.

In this way, Bethesda kind of missed one of the elements of Fallout 1 and 2. No matter what your level in those games, there's always enemies out there that will give you problems. A pack of Wandingo's? Or god forbid a pack of Fire Gecko's and you weren't fully prepared.

Not really. FO1 and 2 were even more breakable. Crank all your points into Small Guns in the first few levels, have a decent Perception and Agility, get a half-decent weapon, and you're unstoppable. FO2 also had the infamous 15 minute APA walk.

In this way, Bethesda kind of missed one of the elements of Fallout 1 and 2. No matter what your level in those games, there's always enemies out there that will give you problems. A pack of Wandingo's? Or god forbid a pack of Fire Gecko's and you weren't fully prepared.

Not really. FO1 and 2 were even more breakable. Crank all your points into Small Guns in the first few levels, have a decent Perception and Agility, get a half-decent weapon, and you're unstoppable. FO2 also had the infamous 15 minute APA walk.

That really wasn't my opinion of Fallout 2. Yes, you could break it easily (All you really had to do was trek to Navarro at level 1 if you could survive and pick up the free Power Armor. And the gun stores in San Fran have everything) but I never found myself feeling overpowered in Fallout 2. Until I got to the end game, the best armor I used was the Bridgekeeper's Robes, and until I got Gauss, the weapon I used was the Magnum.

I was strong but I wasn't unstoppable. Granted, on the one character I played most I skimped a bit of Perception, so perhaps that did it.

Fallout 3 on the other hand, by the time you hit level 10 no matter what build you use you're pretty goddamn hard to kill. By fifteen you're pretty much unstoppable. By twenty there isn't anything that'll stop you. It's just how the game levels you.

With everything you mentioned, that's kind of intentionally breaking the game. Fallout 3 just breaks itself as you play.

Its not an essential download. I'd only get it if you really enjoyed Fallout3 and want more. I'd wait till the next DLC, or even the one in March (the HUGE one) if you really wanted just 1 DLC.

Probably a bit over priced for what you get, it'll last a few hours. It doesn't really expand the game (though I guess it gives a little back story) and its mainly shooter based. I enjoyed it for what it was though. As long as you know what you're buying (ie - this ISN'T the major DLC) then you won't go crazy like the Fallout3 board.

I'd give it a 7/10

I liked it. You get some great gear when you beat it and it's a fun use of 3 or so hours. Probably will be the least substancial of the DLC to come out, so it won't hurt to wait.

I liked it. You get some great gear when you beat it and it's a fun use of 3 or so hours. Probably will be the least substancial of the DLC to come out, so it won't hurt to wait.

Are you talking about the DLC? Does it start up after you end the game or do you have to use it before you finish? Is there any talk about how the level cap to 30 is going to work? If you are already over 20 does your unused experience get counted towards 30?