TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

Should I Move to the Pacific Northwest?

Kinetic.

Let's talk about Asheville.

I wanna know where you used to hang out, eat, etc.

And I wanna know why you avoid it now.

When I was a dude that hung out, my primary hang outs were Vincent's Ear and the Asheville Community Resource Center (ACRC), both of which were on Lexington Avenue and neither of which is there any more. Those places being shut down, my DUI, and my nasty habit of getting completely wasted and cheating on my girlfriend conspired to take all of the nightlife out of me. I worked and ate at Cats and Dawgs in the historic Grove Arcade building. I visited Asheville not too long ago, and I admit that the place still felt very much like home to me. I chose not to move back because I'm trying to get my shit together and I didn't think I could do it there.

When I was a dude that hung out, my primary hang outs were Vincent's Ear and the Asheville Community Resource Center (ACRC), both of which were on Lexington Avenue and neither of which is there any more. Those places being shut down, my DUI, and my nasty habit of getting completely wasted and cheating on my girlfriend conspired to take all of the nightlife out of me. I worked and ate at Cats and Dawgs in the historic Grove Arcade building. I visited Asheville not too long ago, and I admit that the place still felt very much like home to me. I chose not to move back because I'm trying to get my shit together and I didn't think I could do it there.

I miss Vincent's Ear. I miss most of the old Asheville... Be Here Now, & Beanstreets especially. It seems like everything closed down. Karmasonics moved, they gutted that arcade on S. Lexington. Uh, they even closed T.S. Morrisons, which I thought was rolling in dough.

Anyway, Asheville is different, but still alive. The music scene is better then ever.

Where'd you go to school?

At one point, they were talking about tearing down an entire side of Lexington Avenue (the side with Downtown Books & News and the new Old Europe) to build a luxury hotel for Civic Center patrons. That, to me, is really the heart of downtown Asheville, so it was fortunate that they ultimately decided against it. My ex-girlfriend worked at Segrof Video (now Rosebud Video, ugh) and also at Instant Karma for years, so if you rented a GLBT DVD or purchased an accessory for your tobacco water pipe from either of those places, chances are it was from her. Unfortunately, most of the people that I knew when I was really happy there are long gone.