TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WCW Halloween Havoc 1992

Hey, the black guy who slams the Barbarian in the training montage at the start of the show is Ice Train/M.I. Smooth.

Okay, I know that Rude/Chono was a misfire and a snoozer, but from watching this a while back there was nothing that screamed out "Worst Match of the Year" about it. It mostly seemed like a jetlagged Chono cashing a paycheck and Rude didn't give a crap. There aren't wildly missed spots. It's just....boring.

I'm sure there were worse matches somewhere but the voting for these things tends to focus on major matches. I'm sure Heyman vs. Madusa from some Clash of Champions was far worse but probably much shorter. This PPV also won Worst Major Show of the year.

Some of these "Worst" awards are travesties. DDP won worst gimmick in 2001! Smiling DDP ruled!

I'm sure there were worse matches somewhere but the voting for these things tends to focus on major matches. I'm sure Heyman vs. Madusa from some Clash of Champions was far worse but probably much shorter. This PPV also won Worst Major Show of the year.

Some of these "Worst" awards are travesties. DDP won worst gimmick in 2001! Smiling DDP ruled!

Whatever! I was in the crowd for that Madusa/Paul E. match. Madusa had so much face heat everytime she hit Paul, you'd think Sting was out there.

It was allright, but DDP got so buried it was rediculous. He couldn't even beat Sara Undertacker.

It was allright, but DDP got so buried it was rediculous. He couldn't even beat Sara Undertacker.

Even still, that promo with the yoga chick bending over, with DDP's big smile in the forefront, was money, though I'm still amazed that DDP made it work to the point that he went into WrestleMania as European Champion and retained it, cleanly. WWE did some things I liked around that time frame.

Whatever! I was in the crowd for that Madusa/Paul E. match. Madusa had so much face heat everytime she hit Paul, you'd think Sting was out there.

The funniest part of that interview is Harley Race and Vader basically getting out of her way and letting her beat the snot out of Paul.

The funniest part of that interview is Harley Race and Vader basically getting out of her way and letting her beat the snot out of Paul.

Yeah. He and Vader were pretty much like "Okay, we've collected our paycheck, this shit is between Madusa and Paul E."

I don't think DDP's smiling man gimmick was what won Worst Gimmick or whatever it was. It had to be DDP as the stalker during the feud with UT. That was a different gimmick than what he did a bit later.

Yeah, he didn't even become the smiling guy until 2002.

No he actually started the smiling gimmick just prior to survivor series 01. He dissapeared for a few weeks after he lost to Taker's wife (after a beatdown by Taker of course) after Summerslam 01. Then he came back with those vignettes.

If you recall The Big Show dressed up as him and made fun of the smiling thing I think the Raw before SurSeries.

Jesse did a great job though explaining the match in a very concerned tone and actually trying to sell the glove as this death touch thing.

Although I bet he was wanting to laugh on the inside while Jim Ross and everyone backstage wanted to cry.

I always wondered if the stories of it not being rigged were somehow not true, knowing the WWF was doing a Nightstick Match at Survivor Series a few weeks later and they wanted to say "Hah! We did a pole match first!"

Okay, I'll get around to rating this...

Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, & Michael P.S. Hayes vs. Shane Douglas, the Z-Man, & Johnny Gunn - What a stupid babyface team. The kind of team you'd see in the mid 80's WWF, kinda like the Young Stallions or whatever. Anyway, Arn, Eaton, and Hayes is the exact opposite of that. A tough team, with tough dudes. That finish with Tom Brandi and the Thesz Press killed the match for me. *1/2.

Ricky Steamboat vs. Brian Pillman - This was the good stuff. No complaints, but the pin reversal finish was nearly bungled. I love watching both these guys. ***1/4.

Big Van Vader vs. Nikita Koloff - I'm glad they used the Rude angle as an excuse to have these two face each other. Also was the good stuff. Vader stiffed Nikita so hard Nikita had to retire. OOPS. Maybe I'm not glad. ***.

Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs. Steve Williams & Steve Austin - I enjoyed the match, but found it a bit slow. Whenever Austin came into the match, it got really good. I know it's sort of anti-IWC to say that Williams work wasn't up to that level here, but it wasn't, although it was still good. With a minute left, it got even better. ***.

Paul E's segment = greatness

Masa Chono vs. Rick Rude - Good lord. -****.

Ron Simmons vs. The Barbarian - Bad, but not as bad as the match previous. I actually found it quite funny. A DUD nonetheless.

Sting vs. Jake Roberts - I don't know if this is true or not, but I bet the wheel was supposed to land on "First Blood Match," which was right next to "Coal Miner's Glove," but the wheel was gimmicked poorly. I only say that because of the finish, it just...did not fit in line with the stipulation, but rather one which was intended to be a first blood match. The glove was an afterthought, but the cobra bite was the whole show, I guess you'd say. Also a DUD.

Entertaining show.