TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

Saw V - Opening October 24th

My sister and I are huge fans of the series, so we went to go see it last night. I think it fell a bit flat and is my least favorite in the series. I felt the traps seemed a bit tame in this one and didn't really like the nail bombs idea. For an ending that was promoted as "unbelievable," it was very predictable.

first one of the series that manages to look like it was edited by a bored ferret on crystal meth. usually it's easy to ignore how horrible the actors are, but this one really brought that badness to the forefront.

I'm starting to think the SAW series has absolutely no idea where it wants to go now. It keeps adding new people who are uninteresting, Jigsaw is really just dead, the flashbacks within the flashbacks are tiresome, and all the shocks are becoming easy to see coming.

Maybe it's the constant shift in directors but something feels like the wheels are coming off the cart. Plus really, nothing has been truly answered lately. It's the X-Files of movie franchises, just adds more questions while refusing to give satisfy interesting answers to the ones already posed.

with the constant twists-for-the-sake-of-twists and cycling of new & old characters, it occurred to me halfway through the movie that it felt like watching 'arrested development'. except it wasn't funny.

I enjoyed Saw and Saw 2. I own Saw on DVD (the only one on the series that I personally own.) Its sad to see this franchise go into drivel.

A lot of Horror franchises do. Look at Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elmstreet. The more they went on, the less interesting they got. It's only a matter of time before a franchise runs out of steam.

I enjoyed Saw and Saw 2. I own Saw on DVD (the only one on the series that I personally own.) Its sad to see this franchise go into drivel.

A lot of Horror franchises do. Look at Halloween, Friday the 13th, and A Nightmare on Elmstreet. The more they went on, the less interesting they got. It's only a matter of time before a franchise runs out of steam.

And then we will get the remake!

Meh, I liked this one. I liked the last one, as well. Thought #3 was okay and #2 was horrible. First is the best, of course.

That said, I'll never understand why people gripe about bad acting in horror movies.

since it's out on dvd I figured I would bump, and make it spoiler free

Finally saw it. Almost seems like they're making Saw movies now just so they can make more Saw movies.

The ending of Hoffman framing Straum seemed too obvious that I didn't think they'd go with it...but what do I know.

I think the Saw movies are just going to test how long we'll go along with the whole thing. I don't think they have an end in sight. I don't think they have anything past the "ohhhh boy" ending to 6 in sight. Shit's being made up on the fly.

Saw Rankings

I - first is the best, it's simple, and it works

IV - mostly for the Jigsaw back story, plus I liked Rigg

II - mostly for the traps and Matthews, but it seemed like they were trying to do WAY too much

V - I liked more Jigsaw back story, but otherwise it was nothing I need to see again

III - 3 just sucked, I don't know what more to say

I think the Saw movies are just going to test how long we'll go along with the whole thing. I don't think they have an end in sight. I don't think they have anything past the "ohhhh boy" ending to 6 in sight. Shit's being made up on the fly.

One key thing is this. The movies are very cheap to produce. Saw V had a production budget of 11 million and did 110 million dollars worldwide. That is before dvd sales, etc. As long as Lionsgate can make a huge profit off of the movies they are going to continue to churn them out.

Oh I know. And I commend them for find a great formula the way they have. As a horror fan I'd just like to think they have more in store than the next "surprise" ending. Expectations are low right now, but I'm gonna keep watching

I bought Saw V on DVD this week and will check it out fairly soon. As far as the end of the series goes, they need to bring back Cary Elwes and pay off what exactly did happen to Dr. Gordon at the end of the first Saw. It's easy to say "He just died" but why not show his body to close out that storyline?

No kidding. I know they've almost removed Saw 1 out of the storytelling when it comes to the series now, but I'd love to see the Doc do something again.

Did they say he died???

No kidding. I know they've almost removed Saw 1 out of the storytelling when it comes to the series now, but I'd love to see the Doc do something again.

Did they say he died???

No, Cary said "Let's face it, he's dead" in the commentary track. But not once have the police, Jigsaw or ANYONE said Gordon is dead. No body was found in the tunnel, no sign of him and really he did sorta do what was asked of himself to survive. One would assume he did die but at the same time, there has never been an ounce of closure on what the fuck happened to him. I think it's just a storyline they cannot wrap up and it's becoming the one loose thread.

The one MAJOR flaw that the series is getting now is Jigsaw recruited nothing but murders. Amanda; Murderer. Hoffman; Murderer times 5!

That is what is hurting the series now. It's just murderers, not testers. Hoffman is an in between, willing to murder to protect his own ass which Jigsaw SPECIFICALLY tried to show him was the wrong path. Which means we'll get ANOTHER Jigsaw before it's over who will deal with Hoffman. More than likely, Jig's wife will be the one assigned to end Jigsaw's work once and for all. Another thing I noticed is they showed all the officers who died EXCEPT the guy who got shotgun blasted in the top of the head. I don't get why they didn't show a picture of him.

The best scenes in part 5 are the Tobin scenes, the rest is just discovering that Hoffman is nothing more than Amanda 2.0. Some of the positives but still the same murdering flaw. Not bad, not good, just again sorta there.

Yeah, but in both Amanda and Hoffman's cases, they both BECAME murderers, it wasn't that they were psycho killers before they started being Jigsaw's apprentices.

Yeah, but in both Amanda and Hoffman's cases, they both BECAME murderers, it wasn't that they were psycho killers before they started being Jigsaw's apprentices.

While Amanda did become one, Hoffman murdered the man who killed his sister before he ever met Jigsaw. Jigsaw just chalked it up to rage over the man killing his sister but Hoffman did in fact murder the guy and tried to pin it on Jigsaw.

Amanda, I really don't know what her problem was, showed murderous tendencies right out of the gate. She screwed up Adam's trap (key went down the sink and she choked the life outta him) and just was a brutal killer from day one when it came to her traps.

Jigsaw has picked two lousy apprentices. Both are just murderers with no feel for right or wrong. Hell, has Hoffman designed a trap YET that wasn't designed specifically to murder with no chance to survive?

I think the saw blades and the shrinking room trap were two of the best in the whole series, whereas the water cube one was a huge disapointment and the pendulum wasn't anything special. Overall it was actually a lot better than I thought it would be, mainly because there was more of a backstory to it and not all about "lets see what crazy things we can think of to kill people".

I still believe we're going to discover that Dr. Gordon was the surgeon in the clip at the beginning of Saw 2. If you go back and watch the scene, you'll notice whoever put the key behind the eye of the private detective was walking with a very heavy limp. Was it ever confirmed to be anyone in particular?

I picked up Saw V on Blu-Ray today at Target. Some of it translates well to HD, but other parts, not so much.

I still believe we're going to discover that Dr. Gordon was the surgeon in the clip at the beginning of Saw 2. If you go back and watch the scene, you'll notice whoever put the key behind the eye of the private detective was walking with a very heavy limp. Was it ever confirmed to be anyone in particular?

I picked up Saw V on Blu-Ray today at Target. Some of it translates well to HD, but other parts, not so much.

I got it on regular DVD, I had heard that none of the previous SAW movies look that great in HD though the PQ is good. You can get the first 3 at Wal Mart for $10 a pop on BR but I think IV is regular price.

I got it on regular DVD, I had heard that none of the previous SAW movies look that great in HD. You can get the first 3 at Wal Mart for $10 a pop on BR but I think IV is regular price.

My girlfriend bought Saw 1 and 2 for me on Blu Ray for Christmas. If you have a 1080p TV, I suggest checking out the end of the first one. You can see lots of little "dabs" all over Cary Elwey's face from the makeup sponge they used to make him all sickly and pale after he cut off his own foot. Low budget film making doesn't really lend itself well to HD.