TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

Saw V - Opening October 24th

Pendulum Trap

These have really been kind of downhill since the 2nd one, but I still look forward to them year after year. We're supposed to finally find out what happened to Jeff's daughter after Saw 3, and the usual tying-up of lose ends.

Thoughts?

Yup, I'll be there.

I feel like there hasn't been as much hype for this one as year's past. I am excited to see Morris O'Brien again, though. And Meagan Good is delicious.

I've been watching the other 4 films, making sure to have all the plot twists and story elements fresh on my mind before going to see this new installment. After finishing #4 earlier this evening, I am excited as hell for #5. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with Hoffman carrying on Jigsaw's legacy (I still think there's going to be yet another twist that involves Hoffman being part of someone else's game), and I'd like to see what happens with Agent Strahm, especially Rigg. Was he left behind to bleed to death, or did Hoffman get him some help?

I can't say I'm really excited about 5 since it feels like they are milking the franchise a little too hard. After 3 I was really done with the franchise, but I go and see them with my girlfriend just so I can see the expression on her face during the traps.

I can't say I'm really excited about 5 since it feels like they are milking the franchise a little too hard. After 3 I was really done with the franchise, but I go and see them with my girlfriend just so I can see the expression on her face during the traps.

3 was pretty bad, but 4 did a good job setting up for 5. Also got the awesome Jigsaw backstory

3 was good for gore, and the usual decent plot twist at the end. The rest of the film was kind of eh. I've rewatched 4, twice this week and IMO it gets better each time. I love how the end pays homage to the first Saw with the mastermind being in the room the whole time. This has become one of my favorite horror series, so I'm really looking forward to this new one.

3 sucked cause the main guy was never in any danger at all. And when you find out that 3 and 4 were going on at the same time it's fucking weak that Jeff just gets gunned down

I hated 3 at first, but after seeing 4 (which I loved) I have a little more appreciation for it.

I don't get the hate for 2, I thought that one was probably the most intense, story wise. 3 dragged a lot and 4 had a good story, but it was a lot of backstory.

Saw 3 is by far the worst in the series. I pretty much enjoyed all of them except that one. Like Youth N Asia stated, the main protagonist of that movie, Jeff, was in no danger at all. All he had to do was either help out those people or just let them die. Its pretty hard to get into a movie when the main character isn't in danger, not to mention, the traps in Saw 3 were just laughable, and over the top. The girl freezing, and the pig grinder thing, comes to mind.

Anyone else doing the SAWFest Marathon on Thursday? I did it last year and it really got me pumped up for IV at the end of it.

Anyone else doing the SAWFest Marathon on Thursday? I did it last year and it really got me pumped up for IV at the end of it.

I haven't done it yet, but I think I will this year. I might watch it like this

Monday - Saw

Tuesday - Saw 2

Wednesday - Saw 3

Thursday Saw - 4

Friday - Saw V

I haven't done it yet, but I think I will this year. I might watch it like this

Monday - Saw

Tuesday - Saw 2

Wednesday - Saw 3

Thursday Saw - 4

Friday - Saw V

Oh, I meant that there are some theaters that run a marathon of all the SAWs in a row.

The thing that blows my mind about this series is the crazy level of plot twists and things to follow. The Saw films have to be a nightmare for critics in some ways since they aren't simple slice n dice slasher fare, but instead have a dizzying amount of plot and even characterization. So they can't be classified as brainless Friday the 13th type stuff.

I do agree that 3 is the worst in the series for the reasons mentioned. Saw 2 is intense and nightmare inducing with the various traps (burning to death in the oven, the pit of needles, the glass trap for the hands...just sick shit). Saw 4 is actually pretty underrated and Rigg was a solid enough protagonist.

With 3 I think the problem I had with it was that in previous films (or in 4 as well) the various traps and how the people deal with them say something about them as characters. With 3, Jeff can either help these people or not help, or help and they still die....none of it really matters since he has to get to Jigsaw at the end. Ironically a main theme of the movie (namely that Amanda is unfair and doesn't give people a fighting chance to survive) is what hurts the overall film.

The only one I saw in the theater was 2, and it remains a close second to the first in my mind and it's twist really got to me (though we'll prob never match watching the original for the first time.)

But yea the twists are kinda getting annoying to me, will we ever get closure?

I want to go see it, but then again I planned to the last 2 years as well. but I ended up just avoiding spoilers and waited for the dvd.

As I say every year, I love these stupid pieces of shit, the most pretentious crappy horror films ever conceived. Superb. It's always good to see Dinocroc's Costas Mandylor getting steady work.

The best part about all these films is that they are all connected. I love the twists. There are still so many unanswered questions, that I can't wait to see what we get and what else will pop up in 5.

That's what I love about the SAW sequels. They're not just cash grabs, but they actually enhance the mythology and backstory each go around.

Anybody see it yet? I hear the ending is bonkers.

Oh, this guessing game can be fun. I bet its something like it turns out Jigsaw didn't die or something, or they will say he has a twin brother! :lol:

I SAW it. Might have been the exhaustion from watching the whole franchise in one shot, but I really liked V. It was better than IV.

I haven't seen this yet but I did take a look at Wikipedia for a synopsis. From the sound of some of it I think the writers and director must have seen the Karloff/Lugosi movie The Raven, not to mention The Pit and the Pendulum with Vincent Price.

I saw it, liked it well enough. But I feel for anyone who isn't very familiar with the first four. There were times I had to pause and try to remember who was who.

One problem I did have with it:

Along the lines of the DreadCentral review mentioning that the pendulum trap would cost something around 100k to set up. I didn't have a problem with this trap until it was revealed that this was not Jigsaw, but instead Hoffman's first setup. Really? He would be capable of constructing that on his first try? After that reveal it did seem a bit far fetched. Especially considering that that occured before Jigsaw even did the barbwire cage from the first movie, so you can't even use the argument that he has been able to copy from previous Jigsaw crime scenes.

I was a bit surprised at the end in so much as

I was expecting it to be set up that the FBI boss found Straum in the room with Hoffman in the box and it was set up to be a death by cop. As it was though, I did enjoy Hoffman's fuck you look as he went down.

One thing I really fear is

the pig mask being in the box and Jill becoming involved with the killings in the next one

. That does not interest me in the slightest.

The group game was a decent enough B story, nothing special with an obvious lesson and tacked on "link". And good lord Julie Benz's boob job was in it's full glory in this one.

One thing I really fear is

the pig mask being in the box and Jill becoming involved with the killings in the next one

. That does not interest me in the slightest.

Regarding the box that Jill received from the Lawyer. John mentioned to Hoffman after Hoffman's "shotgun test", that if anything were to happen to him, the evidence to convict Hoffman would be in just the right spot. So, I think the box that Jill received was all the evidence to turn-in Hoffman, if she decides to use it.

I missed the usual plot twist at the end. This one was really all about "OK, when is Straum going to be killed? Also, I know it was for establishing how the relationship between Hoffman and John, but the flashback to the barb-wire trap from the first Saw was about as random as you get.

About the group that was forced to play the game in the movies backstory. I felt this borrowed a little too much from Saw 2, but it was still enjoyable. The female survivor that was discovered by Straum's boss towards the end of the film had an epic boob job. I really liked the final test with them having to saw into their hands and arms to fill the jar with enough blood to open the final door.

Uwe Boll's alternative to seeing SAW V

Granted, the reviews for Seed have ranged from "it is a rare horror film that no only stays with you after the film ends, but challenges you to think" to "an ugly, slow, pretentious capper to the German director's infamously bad horror movie career," but, really, could it be worse than Saw IV?

Thus we decided to give Uwe a platform to promote his film and asked him to name the Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Rent Seed This Halloween. Here's what we got:

SEED is really bitter and gruesome

SEED is not compromising and no fun horror

SEED has with the HAMMER scene maybe the hardest horror scene ever

SEED has an unbelievable depressing beginning and ending

SEED is the last part of Will Sanderson in a movie - he quit acting after the shoot

So there you go.

Im sold on the Unbeliveable depressing part.