TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFN 16 - Fight for the Troops

Thing is, he was pumped up with adrenaline and quite frankly, a lot of guys in the gym would get pleasure out of doing something like that in a fight to someone. Most people would, it's in our primal nature to get a kick out of beating the shit out of someone. Feeling good about breaking his arm is no different than feeling good about knocking someone the fuck out. It's a barbaric thing sure, but it still feels pretty good.

With that being said you don't have to say it out loud and a few minutes after the fact you'd think you've calmed down some. Rashad is notable for always saying he's not happy after the knockout about the fact that the guy is still ktfo (Salmon and Liddell).

I agree wholeheartedly with you guys. This has to go on record as the most disturbing UFC event I have ever seen.

If there is some right-wing, bible-thumping, hand-of-God douchebag who makes it a personal crusade to get the UFC shut down, all he has to do is use this event as the money shot after softening people up with all of the brutal knockouts over the years...

I liked Corey Hill too... how in the hell does something like that happen? I'm not trying to make light of it, but does the guy ingest *any* calcium at all??? Jesus fucking Christ, was that disturbing... I'm glad I didn;t DVR this for my girlfriend's sake.

I know I am going to have nightmares tonight.... damn.

I don't understand EHME's anger, I mean it's not like he bragged about beating up a 'ho' who hit him with a vodka bottle.

And please the funnest thing about learning how to do an armbar is the hopes that one day you get to break someone's arm. Luckily for Cantwell he was facing a guy who valued pride more than his arm.

I don't understand EHME's anger, I mean it's not like he bragged about beating up a 'ho' who hit him with a vodka bottle.

And please the funnest thing about learning how to do an armbar is the hopes that one day you get to break someone's arm. Luckily for Cantwell he was facing a guy who valued pride more than his arm.

When they teach you BJJ from day 1 they teach you to respect your opponet, and be humble in victory or defeat. So don't give me that "learing an armbar you hope to break someones arm" bullshit.

When they teach you BJJ from day 1 they teach you to respect your opponet, and be humble in victory or defeat.

Not at every gym they don't.

When they teach you BJJ from day 1 they teach you to respect your opponet, and be humble in victory or defeat.

Not at every gym they don't.

Maybe Marc Laimon's gym and other white trash gyms.

Yeah, that`s a pretty idealized view of the situation.

Honestly, these guys are prizefighters, they are paid to beat the shit out of someone. MMA is imposing your will physically on someone else and taking the fight out of him. When you succeed in doing this, you`re going to feel good about it. You feel like a badass for taking some super athletic dude who trained his ass off and breaking his arm. I don`t see anything wrong with that.

Yeah, that night of fights was not very good for the sport in terms of brutality, but that's mainly because it was a fund raiser for troops with brain injuries from fighting for us and the show was full of guys getting badly injured and high chances of brain damage of their own.

I hadn't seen the Corey Hill fight the night of the show, but I was intrigued by Joe Rogan's comments at the end of the show about how after seeing those videos of the injured soldiers, the fights seem trivial and stupid. I thought that was very strong comments, but after all the injuries that were aired and seeing the Hill injury, I completely understand why he said what he said.

But Koscheck's knockout looked straight out of Rocky 3, when Clubber knocked Rocky out lol. It was sick.

It actually turns out that he didn't break it, just dislocated the elbow.

But, yeah... I don't think it's the classiest thing ever but it's not going to turn me on Cantwell. He's still on my good side for crushing the Brian Stann hope train.

With Cantwell, I could see being hyped about the break when all the adrenaline is pumping seconds after a fight, but I heard he was even doing it at the post fight press conference, that's messed up.

There's such a fine line for me as a fan when it comes to fighting. Like Kos' KO was very visually appealing, but when Yoshida went down extra stiff, and stayed down all the way through the commercial and also during Kos' interview, I was very concerned.

Al-Hassan's arm breaking (or popping, as I just read) was hard to watch period, but I've seen guys get out of tight looking armbars before, so I didn't turn away lol, sorry I didn't though.

I'm surprised so many guys were able to still throw leg kicks after Hill's injury. I thought that some may have had second thoughts, but they didn't.

Killa B's fight should have been stopped long before it was. Wolff was turning his back and the ref didn't even get closer to the action. He took a beating for so long and that ref really should have paid better attention in my opinion.

I'm surprised so many guys were able to still throw leg kicks after Hill's injury. I thought that some may have had second thoughts, but they didn't.

They don't have chicken legs like Corey Hill, so I doubt they are scared to throw a leg kick.

It actually turns out that he didn't break it, just dislocated the elbow.

But, yeah... I don't think it's the classiest thing ever but it's not going to turn me on Cantwell. He's still on my good side for crushing the Brian Stann hope train.

I'm willing to give him a pass on it. I don't like it, and there is nothing anyone can say to convince me to like it.

He's only like 6 months older then me, so he's still maturing. Now if he was a 30 year old, 10 year veteran of the sport saying it, I would want him to be punished.

I think it's a little comical considering the source. And before they teach you to win with respect and be humble they teach you to snap a guys arm if he doesn't tap. It's a move designed to injure an arm.

As long as the guy doesn't go make a t-shirt about it there's no reason not to be excited about excelling at your job. I'm sure you come home happy when you're up twenty bucks and not bleeding from the asshole. :P

I think it's a little comical considering the source. And before they teach you to win with respect and be humble they teach you to snap a guys arm if he doesn't tap. It's a move designed to injure an arm.

As long as the guy doesn't go make a t-shirt about it there's no reason not to be excited about excelling at your job. I'm sure you come home happy when you're up twenty bucks and not bleeding from the asshole. :P

How is it comical? I've trained BJJ for awhile now.

And no, they teach you to respect and be humble before anything. If Cantwell went to any accomplished BJJ grappler from Brazil with the same atittude he showed on UFN, he would get eaten alive. BJJ is a very prideful pratice where you have to be humble during all your teachings.

Do you see accomplished fighters like Nogueria, Fedor, Randy, Hughes, GSP, Anderson Silva conduct themselves like that after they fight?

There are quite a few high level MMA fighters who are big-headed douchebags. And that number doesn't even come close to the number of BJJ practitioners, and even instructors, out there who are prideful scumbags.

For EHME:

The only thing I could to end the fight was force the arm until either it broke or he tapped, and that’s what I did. Fighting is always a series of calculated risks, and he had ample opportunity to tap. But none of us enter the ring trying to end each others career, and I do regret the comments I made and being so animated about it afterwards. It was the adrenaline taking over.”

-Cantwell

See - good for him.

I meant it was comical considering you said it. Humble and respectful aren't two characteristics you've displayed, let alone words you've used, anywhere outside of this thread.

I prefer hand to hand combat to be hate-filled and with the potential for injury, I think it weeds out the pussies and makes for a better overall show. So I'll admit a bias in not being upset about the injury. And definitely not gonna hate on a guy being overly excited about finishing a fight on national TV in memorable fashion.

All is forgiven then.

Bottom line, you either tap or get your arm broken (or elbow dislocated in this case), he was excited about it and celebrated. Calling him a doucebag or whatever because he was excited is idiotic. Apparently you are perfect in every way and would NEVER get excited about winning in spectacular fashion.