TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The TSM Market Research Thread

1. How often do you visit TSM? How long are you here on a typical visit? How many minutes, or hours, do you spend here daily?

It varies. Basically, if I'm at a computer - whether I'm chatting with people, looking something up, or at work - I make trips to TSM. The length of my stay depends on the situation. If it's my first visit since waking up I will peruse the areas of the board I post in the most and see what's new. Add more time if I had thoughts to add. Other times I just make a quick trip to see if anyone has said anything in a thread I recently commented in, then move on. As I am currently without my own dedicated PC (for the next few days), I basically depend on borrowing someone's laptop to post, using the Wii to browse (no way I am posting using a Wiimote), or the 8 hours I'm at work with a computer. As these 8 work hours fall between midnight and 8 am eastern, I find board traffic is fairly slow and my visits are usually pretty quick. To put TSM visits in context with the rest of my browsing, it ranks up there with compulsively checking facebook to see if anyone has made a wall post, sent me a private message, commented on a photo, etc. I make a check to here and there, go off to egotastic to see if anyone's boob pooped out in public recently (for times I'm not at work, that is), then re-check TSM/FB. Or whatever.

2. Which folders do you spend the most time in? Why? Which ones do you skip over?

I probably spend the most time in the WWE and WWE 24/7 folder, followed by General Wrestling. Technically as the mod type fellow of the whole wrestling domain I should be putting some time in with TNA and such, but I just check in, see that there's no traffic outside of people who don't realize Impact is the worst television show in the history of professional wrestling, and move on. Outside of the realm of wrestling, I enjoy seeing what folks are up to in the bottom half of the board. That's where the real talk seems to go down. General is fun too. I enjoy the Foold Folder when it's not being snobby. I enjoy video games, television, and movies but Mole's reign of terror really stifled conversation in the respective folders of those mediums. The video game folder is 3 folders about specific systems that are several pages long, a CTDWAT thread, and assorted game dedicated threads. There should be more of the latter, but Mole decided those were bad and now people don't make them anymore due to familiarity over how things 'work' in that area. TV/Movies seems the same way, but I enjoy discussing The Office. Current Events is a bit too combustable for my tastes. I was the guy in school that never went to concerts or owned a CD (I just listen to whatever is on the radio) so the Music folder serves no purpose in my life. I'm not into sports enough to bother with that area unless I'm cheering on my favourite team in the play-offs. Apparently my way of looking at sports is known as "Homerism" and is a DEADLY SIN in the Sports folder here, so it's best I stay away.

3. Who are your favorite posters? What makes a poster "good"? 4. Who are your least favorite? Why?

The qualities of a good poster have been well documented with the above answers. There are lots of posters who are very good at rationally expressing a thought or belief. There are people who can make you think. There are people who can eloquently put together a post to express their deepest feelings. Some people that fall in those groups aren't very funny though and everything can be too serious. TSM is about having some laughs while interacting with folks who enjoy the same things you do (or perhaps they don't, giving you a chance to explain why you do or do not agree with someone - but keep it civil). MillenniumMan is a guy that in a "serious wrestling conversation" - in quotes because the very idea of such a thing existing for pro wrestling baffles even me, Mr. Wrestling - can give good insight, lay on the history, and know his business, but when the potential is there for a zinger, he can do that too. And I love it when posters lob softballs to set up a joke, you know? Like that time in the "Vader is dead?" thread, I said, "And now we play the waiting game". Bruiser Chong was right there to say that the waiting game sucks and we should play Hungry Hungry Hippos instead.

With the POTY tourney just a few months away, I can't go naming specific people for fear of losing a vote (but by that logic, I should single out a boatload of "best posters" - like Dandy, Kinetic, Cheech, Czech, Smues, Curry, and more! - to lay the ground for votes, but that's not my style) but there certainly are "styles" of posters I'm not a fan of. People who think it's 1996 and it's still cool to not spell things correctly (we all make mistakes, but some people aren't even trying) or locate the shift key on their keyboard annoy me. I also get very annoyed with people who assume their opinion is FACT. This happens a lot in the subjective world of wrestling. Someone will decide that they are 100% against a storyline (even if it happened 11 years ago) or the push a wrestler is getting (let's use Randy Orton as en example) and determine that because they are too retarded to figure out the paint by numbers specifics of an angle from 1997 or they personally feel a wrestler has no heat, then we must ALL think like that. I'm sure those of you who frequent the wrestling area of TSM know exactly who this is about. They are apparently no better in Sports.

5. Who is your favorite mod? Can you actually name the mods we have?

bob_barron is the best ombudsman TSM has ever had.

6. What brought you to TSM in the first place? Do you still come for the same reasons? Do you still watch wrestling?

I forget how I stumbled upon this place but I'm certain I was here briefly here due to something or other on Rantsylvania. I really have no recollection of that time period though, nor do I remember who I ended up coming back to make my first posts comparing Doug Basham to Larry Appleton during an episode of Velocity. Oh wait, I think I came back because a friend of mine was in the SWF. Yeah, that sounds about right. I just got involved in the rest of the board but never the SWF. My interest in wrestling is not what it once was (I remember when the idea of missing SmackDown was crazy talk, now I find myself FF'ing through a lot of it on DVR) but I still enjoy it quite a bit, especially WWE 24/7.

7. When was the board at its best?

I don't know. The timeline historians give as the Best of the Board was a time where I talked soley about video games and wrestling, didn't know a Nightwing from a Nighthawk, and had no idea we had people feuding with each other. I'll just say I had good times in late 2005 / 2006 when I finally became aware why people were calling the Leelee character Leena and all the history going on there. Not to mention my one and only run as a gimmick poster and whatever fun my pal MisawaGQ / World's Worst Man had sabotaging Video Game threads for our own amusement on IRC. Not really mature, but we enojyed it. Then treble told us to stop.

8. What is the one thing, above all else, that keeps you coming back here?

I enjoy making posts what ignore everything previous posters said in a thread, then not reading any replies that follow. Treating TSM like a sentinent internet being is the way to do it. Or perhaps the exact opposite. Plus I like trying to get a laugh - sometimes it might take 9 failures for 1 landing, but it's cool.

9. If you could change one thing about TSM, what would it be?

Nothing really comes to mind off-hand.

10. How much longer will TSM be around?

TSM will end on February 14, 2016. I received this information from an alien at the Holiday Inn in Paramus, NJ. It may have just been a spaceship made up to look like a room at the Paramus Holiday Inn - I can't say for certain.

1. How often do you visit TSM? How long are you here on a typical visit? How many minutes, or hours, do you spend here daily?

It's #1 on speed dial. I probably spend too long here.

2. Which folders do you spend the most time in? Why? Which ones do you skip over?

I spend the most time in sports. I like sports. I skip the wrestling folders since I'm not really into it anymore. I check them once in a dog's age or when there's a big story. I couldn't name 5 wrestlers anymore. I skip music because I don't have the same taste as most of you and don't like getting railed on for liking what I like.

3. Who are your favorite posters? What makes a poster "good"?

I don't have favorites really. I like people who contribute to discussion without acting like a horse's ass.

4. Who are your least favorite? Why?

Couldn't tell you, honestly. Half the time I don't even read who said what, just what they said.

Agent Tzar or whatever he's calling himself these days. Smues is one. Um, al is one. That's about all I got. 909 is one too I think. Oh, treble's a keen fellow too.

6. What brought you to TSM in the first place? Do you still come for the same reasons? Do you still watch wrestling?

I stumbled across it from a link from another wrestling site. No, I stopped watching rasslin in 2003 or 2004. Somewhere around there.

Probably a few years ago.

Habit, I think. I like it here though.

You should win things by watching. I have no idea. Maybe a name change. Or a logo change.

I think a few more years until we become that board that you find on a google search for something else, and it brings you to this board that has the last active discussion being, like, 4 months ago and it's like a ghost town.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Typically Daily. I never time myself, and leave a tab open if I'm working at home or doing whatever the fuck.

I at least glance at everything but wrestling and comic books. I most frequent The Negro and Sports. Food is becoming a favorite

I'll name a few names. Outside of the jerks I always talk to, I'm keen on Slayer, Brody, Al, VX, plenty of others. Common interests and either articulation or comically applying the opposite.

Anyone overly political who likes to argue about that sort of thing seemingly for the sake of it. Wrestling fags.

alf, al, and czech, probably.

Gay wrestling shit. I used to write reviews in the wrestling folders and troll everywhere else. Damned if I can remember what all went on, considering most of it was me typing while in a fugue state.

The Agent/Illustrious One French Revolution period, when everyone went to the guillotine.

E-pals. Continuity and habit.

I have no good ideas presently.

Eternally, if only in splinter factions.

Guest Vitamin X

I probably am on here sadly more than anyone else due to a severe net addiction that is made worse by a sometimes incredibly boring IT job that gives me the benefit of totally unsupervised web surfing for a large portion of my day. To be honest, there's probably not much of a time that I'm not on TSM on a typical day, except on the weekends where I try and have my social life and/or exercise or whatever. But maybe I might get up, go to work, then have gmail open in one tab along with tsm in the other and google reader in whatever firefox or google chrome window isn't related to work. And then when I get home, I'm probably checking TSM every hour or two until I go to bed, moreso if there's an interesting event going on (usually sports, but a silly flamewar or drama session somewhere on the board warrants hanging around to watch the sparks fly).

I do think, however, once I graduate and get out of that job and into a career next year, I might take an extended vacation from TSM that may or may not result in leaving the board behind for good.

I've actually minimized that whole top section of the board, so safe to say I skip over those. I spend the most time in Sports, Tech, VG, Food, and the NSFW folders. CE is kind of up and down for me, and there are times when I feel more comfortable lurking than I do participating in discussion there for various reasons. If I were to pick a favorite, I'd say it's tied between Sports and Food, the latter only lacking because of low traffic.

I also don't want to get into saying who are my favorites (also because I got no love :( ) but even though I have disagreements with a couple of them at times, the other guys on the DMC are just greeeeat. Kinetic is mine and everyone's favorite, and well, I like Czech's definition of a good poster and what makes them a "great" one, so I could just pretty much go with that. Less heralded posters who I take a liking to are LOTC, Cheech, Special K, Matt Young (yes, really), Cultist Smitty and KOAB.

Is this really a safe question for a mod to be answering? I'll just go with Marvin, since that's fairly obvious. I have several other guys on this list I guess, but my dislike for them isn't so severe as for me to totally disrespect their opinion or anything.

Again, not something I'd like to really answer, but I do see what a lot of guys on the staff bring to the proverbial table and I try to emulate from the good examples of the veteran guys as a relative rookie on staff (I guess 7, 8 months or so on the job by now isn't much of a rook, but still). And yes, of course I'd hope I can name all the mods on the board.

Initially, surely like everyone else, the wrestling. I lurked for a couple years, from the end of the TheSmarks board all the way until 2003, most likely 2004 or so. I remembered making a post then being flamed (really torched) by Banky a couple times, being butthurt, and leaving a couple times then, while I had my drug problems and whatever, came back and I guess made a name for myself during Gang Warz and during the NFL season as that annoying Packer fan who wouldn't shut up. To be honest, my spike in coming to TSM was really in 2004, when I had come back to Florida to rehab and cut myself off socially from everyone I knew if not for drug-related reasons, for other ones. I come around because I've gotten used to the community here and I like the way things are run- although, as I said in the first question, there have been plenty of times in the past year or so I've contemplated taking an extended, if not permanent, vacation from this place.

Oh, I have pretty fond memories of 2005-06. It's all just kind of smashed together in my memory, honestly.

Boredom and b.s.ing about sports. I don't have any friends in real life that are into sports oddly enough, although oddly every girl I get involved with on a long-term basis inevitably gets sucked into my cheeseheadedness. As a result, I like TSM for a place to shoot the shit about sports, and with people I know. Where everybody knows my fake and apparently my real name.

I'd love to ban Marvin. Aside from that, I don't really have any practical ideas right now.

I think for as long as people feel welcome here. There are times when I've come here where I haven't felt that or felt that my attachment to the place was getting way too personal, so I've taken breaks of a couple days or so, but I haven't gotten an overwhelming sensation that the entire board is doomed to fail. Although, as more and more of my favorite guys either go to other boards, get real lives (like Special K or Kotz), or just plain out decide it's not worth the effort anymore, this will be a problem that could eventually make everything fall apart. This is why I'm always happy to see old guys come back, because without the community, there is no TSM, and having them come back definitely keeps the place alive, along with adding fresh blood like pbone and Byron, both of whom have been great additions to the TSM population.

So, I'm conducting a little research on the posters that frequent TSM. Perhaps we can use this information to keep the board from dying a slow, painful death. Answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Daily. About 2 hours total

Agent's personal potentates, WWE 24/7, General, occasional ventures into Music and Movies. Skip everything else

A good poster, as has been said, combines humor and meaningful contributions. My personal faves include Venkman, the Cool Kids, and Nighthawk, nee Milky.

Most of the WWE folder except for Venk, and Marvin.

Agent is this board's Stalin, especially in his ability to galvanize the proletariat, and I love him for it. Yes, if pressed

Random chance at the end of the Scott Keith days, so no, I don't come here for the same reasons, given that I had none to begin with. I do, but mostly just RAW.

This current epoch is really good. The times when Czech would post clever satire in the WWE Folder is a personal favourite of mine as well.

Habit

More Agent-summoned show trials.

Until every possible future owner runs out of money to fund it.

So, I'm conducting a little research on the posters that frequent TSM. Perhaps we can use this information to keep the board from dying a slow, painful death. Answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Oh 99% of the time I'm on the computer, I'm here. I probably spend an hour or two on here each day. Depending on how my social life is going

General Wrestling and the 24/7 folders are probably my favorites. Just happens most of my favorite posters are most active there. Closely behind those two are Movies/DVD/Television and Music. Food is up there as well but as VX said it's not very active. I usually visit Sports once every day or two but I probably haven't posted there more than a dozen times or so (for good reason). CE, General Chat, and all of the NSFW boards are all kind of up and down for me. Sometimes, I visit them on a daily basis but sometimes I go for weeks without visiting them. I guess I'm part of a rare breed that is rather indifferent to the WWE and TNA folders though they're good for unintentional comedy once in a blue moon. I rarely (as in once or twice a year) visit Comics, Video Games, or any of the fantasy wrestling folders.

3. Who are your favorite posters? What makes a poster "good"? Kinetic, Dr. Venkman PhD, Black Lushus, and Dandy are four that immediately come to mind. alkeiper,smues, Cheech, and bob_barron are up there as well for me. I like or can at least tolerate about 80% of tis board's active posters. I think what makes a good poster is the right balance of insight and humor. Also a sense of open mindedness is nice since internet arguments are always terrible. I was going to say being nice is a neccessary attribute but it's an internet message board- and everybody's bound to come across as a dick at some point or another.

4. Who are your least favorite? Why? I really don't want to say here cause I don't want to start any internet beefs. A year ago, I would have said EHME but I think we've made amends and he's shaped up to be a respectable poster. I don't have a problem with Marvin (outside of the CE folder) and even though I get snippy with him a lot, I can't even say I hate cabbageboy even though I do get pissy at him a lot (and justifiably so) since we share some common interests. So yeah, as long as you don't disrespect me, I guess we're cool.

5. Who is your favorite mod? Can you actually name the mods we have? al is probably my favorite. I could probably name all of them if I thought about it for a long time.

6. What brought you to TSM in the first place? Do you still come for the same reasons? Do you still watch wrestling? Oh, I attribute my presence on this board to Scott Keith and his reviews of gay wrestling shit. I come here now for the semi-artificial camaraderie and amusing discussions

7. When was the board at its best? I really have can't say...

8. What is the one thing, above all else, that keeps you coming back here? Habit mostly.

9. If you could change one thing about TSM, what would it be? I don't know. More inclusive discussion in the Music folder would be nice but I couldn't really do that alone (or could I?)

10. How much longer will TSM be around?I have no idea. I honestly don't see it going anytime in the near future.

Man, my answers weren't very good. I guess I'm not boarding hard enough.

1. How often do you visit TSM? How long are you here on a typical visit? How many minutes, or hours, do you spend here daily? Daily, probably several hours a day if you total it out...I get pretty bored at work most days so, yeah.

2. Which folders do you spend the most time in? Why? Which ones do you skip over? WWE depending on my interest level, Movies and TV, Video Games, Chocolate Socket, LSD, General Chat...Music occasionally. I rarely RARELY go to CE.

3. Who are your favorite posters? What makes a poster "good"? I don't know if I have any definitive FAVORITES, though I talk regularly in either PMs or on messengers to Special K, Slayer, KKK, niskie, Dubs, Matt Young, Malibu, Meat and Porter. Also have to give shout outs to guys I chat with during Raw: Choken, Gary Floyd, King Kamala, etc. (sorry for leaving folks out, it's not on purpose). I pretty much like everyone and try to get along with everyone, even the guys that don't like me or are indifferent about me.

4. Who are your least favorite? Why? Don't really dislike anyone, what's the point? Sometimes guys like Czech, EHME, Marvin etc. irk me, but again, I don't DISLIKE them or anything. I know that's a cop out, but that's what I'm rolling with.

5. Who is your favorite mod? Can you actually name the mods we have? I don't really have a favorite mod, but I can name most of them I think: Agent, Alf, Czech, CWM, treble, 909, DocV...okay, maybe not most of them.

6. What brought you to TSM in the first place? Do you still come for the same reasons? Do you still watch wrestling? I think I got here through Scott Keith's old rants around 1999, been through every incarnation of this board.

7. When was the board at its best? Hmmm, guess I've never noticed...it's had its ups and downs, no serious periods of being complete shit, IMO.

8. What is the one thing, above all else, that keeps you coming back here? Boredom, plus I like conversing with most of you folks...some of you guys I've e-known for an awfully long time.

9. If you could change one thing about TSM, what would it be? Nothing really, I'm fine with it the way it is. Well...maybe no more of those stupid poster tournaments.

10. How much longer will TSM be around? Hopefully, for a long time

1. How often do you visit TSM? How long are you here on a typical visit? How many minutes, or hours, do you spend here daily? Daily, like most. In an average day I'd say upwards of two hours in total but it really depends on what's going on at that moment. I've spent an hour plus in the MMA folder posting on various shit but that's a red herring.

2. Which folders do you spend the most time in? Why? Which ones do you skip over? MMA is the most obvious one but besides that it's split between Movies/LSD/General Chat/Food. I haven't posted in the Wrestling forums in forever and rarely set foot in Tech or Literature

3. Who are your favorite posters? What makes a poster "good"? I can't really say what makes a poster "good" because it's all subjective but I enjoy the comments and thoughts of guys like VX, Milky, Mik, Agent, starvenger, Lushus, KOAB and Kinetic. Czech is good people and I know he likely loathes me but his comments are almost always entertaining and he's usually on-point. Plus all of my MMA Folder cronies are cool.

4. Who are your least favorite? Why? Well, Deon is banned and he was a giant tool. Other then that nothing is really standing out. I'm sure at some point even the dudes listed above have posted some retarded shit. We're all guilty of that a few times over.

5. Who is your favorite mod? Can you actually name the mods we have? I don't think there's any "bad" MODS on this board but I'm a big fan of Agent's take-no-shit attitude with everything he does.

6. What brought you to TSM in the first place? Do you still come for the same reasons? Do you still watch wrestling? Wrestling. No. No.

7. When was the board at its best? A few years back when we had Dr. Tom, Loss, Sass, Banky and others around it was fun but I've never relaly noticed a decline though I've gotta say the last year or so with all of the draft threads have been a bit much.

8. What is the one thing, above all else, that keeps you coming back here? Habit and overall enjoyment.

9. If you could change one thing about TSM, what would it be? I think it's pretty good the way it is.

10. How much longer will TSM be around? A while, I'd imagine. At least I hope so.

I think there has been quite an overreaction. CBright starts a thread, and suddenly the board is dying? Come on.

I'm here much of the day since I work from home.

I go to WWE, because I watch WWE.

General Wrestling, because I've watched a lot of wrestling.

Current Events, b/c I'm into politics.

Sports, b/c I watch sports.

Movies/DVDs/Television, b/c I watch movies and TV. I do not have a DVD player.

I also check out TCS and General Chat occasionally.

I skip over the folders I did not name.

My favourite posters are the ones who contribute to the discussion at hand.

Matt Young is really awful. He seems to delight in playing the victim and feeling sorry for himself, and I don't see him add much to the boards.

cabbageboy should be punched in the face.

I also really don't like the posters in CE who constantly call for Marvin's head. He should be allowed to have his opinions, no matter how much people disagree with them or think they're stupid.

I don't have a favourite mod. I can name all the mods. All of the mods have their good traits and bad traits. I think making Agent in charge of a folder that's supposed to be unmoderated is stupid, and I still disagree with the fact that the new mods were chosen primarily because of a chat they participate in.

I've been at a form of this board since it was at Delphi. I still watch a lot of wrestling. I love WWE 24-7.

There was no time when the board was at its best. There have always been good and bad things about the message board. I do like the fact that the board seems less moderated than it did before.

I enjoy the discussion.

Allow flaming outside of TCS.

I'm going to post this short and sweet without reading the others, as I'd end up just copying what they'd said eventually.

That being said, it's been a slow night.

TSM is my homepage, so every time I load up my Google Chrome (!) browser, I come here. In total, i'll spend probably two hours a day in total, which includes all the few minutes here and there that I check out the board. I don't exactly post much, so I don't know if i'm boarding hard, or hardly boarding. (Yeah, that phrase doesn't really transfer over well).

The only folders I go in are WWE, the Chocolate Socket (or whatever gimmicked name it has this month) and TNA (most of the time), and occasionally visit General Chat (to moan in the Anger thread) Sports and LSD (before I was told to stop posting in the 'Post A Picture Of Yourself thread) and General Wrestling. I never go in Food, MMA, Indies, CE, Music or Graphics, or, well, any others i've not yet mentioned.

My favourite posters? Well... Hawk_34 and I spoke a lot during the Wrestling Draft, and The Rocker/Hardcore Matt Young seems to pop up all over the Internet and makes fun/promotes me.. Garth is pretty awesome, and i've got Crandamaniac on my MSN. And Mellow's pretty good.

I don't really dislike anyone.. Noah Fentz to anyone I mention though.

I don't like authority. It's for bad people.

I remember it well actually, at the time I was still a Shawn Michaels mark, and I believe I came around here during the time he was returning in early 2002, a search bought me to this page.

2004?

Well, it's my homepage. Ho ho. Well, I run the game in my sig on here, but apart from that, I'm always here for Raw and PPV chats, along with the usual news and observing people losing their rags in the WWE folder when someone says something that everybody disagrees with.

I'd bring back the little holding cell we had for a while, whatever it was called. The Gulag? Yeah, that. I'd have loved to have seen a few of the more annoying new posters placed in there only to deal with each other.

TSM will never be around, it'll always be asquare.

We already have Point/Counterpoint starting with bob_barron. Now all we need is a Graphics folder thread where we do market research on the market research thread; a draft of the best answers from the market research; someone bringing up Hitler; someone declaring this thread should be in classics; and finally a bunch of people trying to post funny stuff after the thread was deemed "classic," only to bring the quality of the thread down. Then my friends, you will know that TSM is as alive as ever.

Something occured to me as far as my answers go:

Benoit caused my return to watching wrestling, as well as the demise of it. That stat's a little manipulated, as I wasn't entirely off it from the time ECW folded up til the '04 Rumble, and I wasn't quite off it altogether in June '07. Still.