TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chrislatimer

workers who get called great but you disagree

Misawa bores me, but that's probably because I hate seeing matches involving people being hit repeatedly in the head, yelling and then repeatedly hitting the other person in the head. It's purely subjective, and granted everything above counts for him being a great SUCCESS, but I have yet to see a Misawa match I'd rate much higher than 'not bad', whether it be mid-90s stuff or more modern NOAH. I guess I just don't get the style.

Kobashi irritates me even more, though.

I can see why some would consider Bobby Heenan to be overrated as a color commentator (honestly, his managerial heyday was a tad bit before my time). He seemed more concerned with cracking jokes sometimes than putting the matches or workers over. Of course, people either don't notice this or mind it that much is because unlike Rob Bartlett, Heenan is generally funny. Over the years, I've grown to realize that Ventura was the better color commentator. 'Cause he was able to be funny while putting what was happening in the ring over.

Can we mention non-wrestlers too?

Referring to a manager or announcer?

Both. Bobby Heenan.

Your justification?

Speaking strictly about his work as a commentator, I found him to be beyond awful. He was far too intent on trying to be cute and funny, and failing miserably, to get anything in the ring over. I found his pairing with Monsoon to be grossly overrated in terms of commentating and getting things in the ring over. Whenever they were together, they were funny, which is fine if you're doing a comedy show, but they were so intent on doing their routine that they either neglected what was going on in the ring or simply used what was happening in the ring as a backdrop for their double act. His work in WCW was some of the worst commentating I've ever heard. Not only was he still doing the same lame act he was doing in the WWF, but when coupled with his incredibly dated references that showed his pop culture knowledge went no further than 1982, it made him a complete embarrassment.

Both. Bobby Heenan.

Your justification?

Speaking strictly about his work as a commentator, I found him to be beyond awful. He was far too intent on trying to be cute and funny, and failing miserably, to get anything in the ring over. I found his pairing with Monsoon to be grossly overrated in terms of commentating and getting things in the ring over. Whenever they were together, they were funny, which is fine if you're doing a comedy show, but they were so intent on doing their routine that they either neglected what was going on in the ring or simply what was happening in the ring as a backdrop for their double act. His work in WCW was some of the worst commentating I've ever heard. Not only was he still doing the same lame act he was doing in the WWF, but when coupled with his incredibly dated references that showed his pop culture knowledge went no further than 1982, it made him a complete embarrassment.

You might want to go back and watch the 1992 Royal Rumble.

Well, I'll give him the fact that WCW Heenan was basically Bobby just cashing a paycheck for the most part. (Although I did like it when he would throw an insult or two at Bockwinkle when he got a chance)

However, he was still one of the most talented managers (Especially in terms of heat generation and allowing for a payoff - Bobby could bump with the best of them) and color commentators. The fact he was named the manager of the All-Madden Team one year goes to show how popular he really was.

I agree with Heenan in regards to WCW. He even admits himself that he was completely phoning things in at the end of his run. I think the popularity of his work with Monsoon stems mainly from Prime Time Wrestling. As a commentary tandem, they really weren't the primary team for very long. Maybe two years at most?

One thing Heenan is underrated at though is a wrestler. The man could work and bump.

Both. Bobby Heenan.

Your justification?

Speaking strictly about his work as a commentator, I found him to be beyond awful. He was far too intent on trying to be cute and funny, and failing miserably, to get anything in the ring over. I found his pairing with Monsoon to be grossly overrated in terms of commentating and getting things in the ring over. Whenever they were together, they were funny, which is fine if you're doing a comedy show, but they were so intent on doing their routine that they either neglected what was going on in the ring or simply what was happening in the ring as a backdrop for their double act. His work in WCW was some of the worst commentating I've ever heard. Not only was he still doing the same lame act he was doing in the WWF, but when coupled with his incredibly dated references that showed his pop culture knowledge went no further than 1982, it made him a complete embarrassment.

You might want to go back and watch the 1992 Royal Rumble.

I've watched that match a number of times, thanks. He was entertaining, sure. But that was one night. The rest of the time, though...

Misawa bores me, but that's probably because I hate seeing matches involving people being hit repeatedly in the head, yelling and then repeatedly hitting the other person in the head. It's purely subjective, and granted everything above counts for him being a great SUCCESS, but I have yet to see a Misawa match I'd rate much higher than 'not bad', whether it be mid-90s stuff or more modern NOAH. I guess I just don't get the style.

Your post irritates me.

Your post irritates me.

If Toxxic's post was a Backdrop Driver, this guy just no sold it~!

And because it's Puro it's not business exposing in anyway at all whatsoever and is infact SUPERKEWL~!

Your post irritates me.

If Toxxic's post was a Backdrop Driver, this guy just no sold it~!

And because it's Puro it's not business exposing in anyway at all whatsoever and is infact SUPERKEWL~!

*tags out to KC, although since we're not talking about North American wrestling it isn't a hot tag*

Had quoting formatting issues, so I had to delete some stuff from the original post.

Why, did the fans all bring copies of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The Cow Palace show was a huge disaster for ROH because of that horrible convention that occured that weekend.

How exactly? ROH was only there one day out of that weekend, and they were the most popular attraction that day. The only way I could think ROH was hurt by the convention would be ticket sales.

The show really soured me on ROH due to the booking. It was repeat booking over and over again. One match would end and someone would do a run in or a brawl would happen and that would start the next match. This happen for the fist few matches. I hated the main event as well. It went from a good match with psychology (Brisco attacking Nigel's knee, Nigel attacking Brisco's injured...I think elbow(??)) to a glorified "Who can hit the sickest move" spotfest.

The only match I really enjoyed was Danielson vs Aries.

I know it is, but when I saw him wrestle at the Cow Palace the people there yelled it or chanted every chance they got.

But again, that's his gimmick.

Part of his gimmick is that fans chant "Best in the world" over and over again? I understand that the "Best in the world!" line is apart of his gimmick's motto over whatever. But did the fans really have to chant it over and over, every single chance they got?

You know who I don't think is great? Kurt Angle.

Seconded. Talk about formulaic. Angle's heel matches for the past five years can be roughly described thusly:

Start match. Angle gets 'surprisingly' pwned by face with matwork. Angle gets frustrated, rolls out to floor, paces around, face chases him around the ring, back in, Angle stomps to take over. Angel pwns face with matwork now they're hurt, going 'wooo' and so forth. Selection of big moves, including those fucking rolling Germans. Go for Angle slam, countered into armdrag. Go for anklelock, gets escaped from. Goes for anklelock again, face counters into their own submission finisher (if they have one) or their own anklelock (if they don't), which is somehow just as effective as Angle's and which he can't escape from for a good twenty seconds. Back and forth, Angle Slam for a close two. At this point if Angle is winning the match you either have him finally get the anklelock with the full heel hook (begging the question why he didn't do that in the first place) or you get some sort of distraction which allows Angle to usually hit a low blow and then the Angle Slam for the win. Insert unlikely and probably botched high-risk move if the payday justifies it.

Owen Hart wasn't really that great in the ring either, but he was hilarious.

Brian Pillman is another guy who I think gets overrated at times.

I call bunk on both of these.

Owen had tons of great singles and tag team matches. He was a good seller, and could still pull off the high flying moves even before his death.

Pillman was really good in his WCW days. Look at the matches he had with the likes of Liger. I think people do overrate his later period later, when he was actually pretty bad in the ring.

Pillman was really good in his WCW days. Look at the matches he had with the likes of Liger. I think people do overrate his later period later, when he was actually pretty bad in the ring.

Yeah, I'd agree. His character work in the later days was spectacular; it's a shame that the crash neutered his in ring ability. A Brian Pillman with the workrate of '92-'95 with his 1997 character would have drawn huge in a feud with Austin. I'd even go so far as to say that the "Loose Cannon" character is the most convincing wrestling psychopath character of all time.

Yeah, I'd agree. His character work in the later days was spectacular; it's a shame that the crash neutered his in ring ability. A Brian Pillman with the workrate of '92-'95 with his 1997 character would have drawn huge in a feud with Austin. I'd even go so far as to say that the "Loose Cannon" character is the most convincing wrestling psychopath character of all time.

Hes got to be up there for sure. But I would put Bob Backlund above him.

Ultimate Warrior is clearly the most bat shit insane wrestler ever.

I was speaking about a gimmick, not real life psychos.

Pillman was just a gimmick? I thought it was partly his real personality, hence why it worked so well.