TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

T. Rex - Electric Warrior

I "discovered" Electric Warrior about a year ago and fell in love with it. In the past, I had never really gotten into "Get It On" and held T. Rex as a style over substance band, but I was dead wrong. This is one of my favorite albums.

To be honest though, I've never listened to any of T. Rex's other work. Maybe I'm missing out on something good and therefore overrating Electric Warrior. That being said, I don't know how you could describe this record as not being very good. It's pretty fucking excellent.

I probably disagree with this more than anything ever said in this folder. Electric Warrior is by far the best T. Rex record. The first two songs alone are worth the price of the thing, and that's before you even get into "Jeepster" or "Bang a Gong." Four amazing songs on one album is pretty good.

I'll admit that the rest of the album is enjoyable mostly for the sound of the thing rather than the songs themselves.

The first three songs and, to a lesser extent, "Get It On" and "Planet Queen," are all that's worth salvaging about this record. "Rip Off," too, perhaps, if I'm in a generous mood. Most everything else is an utter drag. No matter how many times I've listened to this album, I can't recall what "Girl" or "Monolith" sound like. Other offenders: "The Motivator" is a poorly disguised (and inferior) rewrite of "Get It On." "Lean Woman Blues" sounds exactly you'd expect a song called "Lean Woman Blues" would sound like. I'd write off T. Rex were it not for the fact that The Slider does everything the previous, lesser album does but better.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You're off your rocker. I've never taken the time to listen to this and The Slider back to back with the intent of comparing them, but there isn't a song on Electric Warrior that I don't like.

I can't deny any album that has "Cosmic Dancer" on it. Or even a song called "Cosmic Dancer." And "Monolith" is actually really good. It showcases those crazy, howling backing vocals that are all over Electric Warrior. The latter half of the album is a little more in line with Marc Bolan's pre-glam Tyrannosaurus Rex style.

I'm listening to this now and, yeah, you're dead wrong. Shit, I have almost no tolerance for "the blues" or blues riffs but "Lean Woman Blues" is awesome. In over five years of dating, this was one of the few records that I was able to get the ex-girlfriend into.

haha. But, listen, read this:

O God

High in your fields above earth

Come and be real for us

You with your mind

Oh yes you are

Beautifully fine

O Girl

Electric witch you are

Limp in society's ditch you are

Visually fine

Oh yes you are

But mentally dying

O boy

Just like a boat you are

Sunk but somehow you float you do

Mentally weak

Oh yes you are

But so much you speak

What the hell is this guy talking about? Say what you will about his records, but Marc Bolan is the worst lyricist this side of Donovan. Or Robert Plant.