TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

WWF Survivor Series 1991 & This Tuesday In Texas

Ric Flair, The Mountie, Ted DiBiase and The Warlord (with Mr. Perfect, Jimmy Hart, Sensational Sherri and Harvey Wippleman) vs. Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, Virgil and Davey Boy Smith

Sgt. Slaughter, Jim Duggan, The Texas Tornado and Tito Santana vs. Col. Mustafa, The Berzerker, Skinner and Hercules (with Mr. Fuji and Gen. Adnan)

Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) for the WWF Championship

The Nasty Boys and The Beverly Brothers (Beau and Blake) vs. The Rockers and The Bushwhackers

The Legion of Doom and The Big Boss Man vs. The Natural Disasters and Irwin R. Schyster

The opener with Team Flair vs. Team Piper is one of my favorite SS tags ever. It's just a shame that it has such a lame ending. Personally, I would have chopped 10 minutes off of the Rockers & Bushwhackers vs. Nastys & Beverlys and given it to the opener. That, or just get rid of Savage and Jake's interviews.

Despite the rest of the card being pretty bad, I actually don't mind this show. I am a mark for the old Survivor Series shows, though.

Ah, my first pay-per-view experience. A lot of people complain about this show- whether its the bizarre finish in the opening match, the fact that they teased Savage working the main event and didn't deliver, or that the show came off as more of a $30 infomercial for This Tuesday in Texas- but I still love it.

- The opening elimination match was just packed with guys that I love, including Hart, Flair, DiBiase, Davey Boy and Piper. Even though the finish was not purely logical, it protected everybody who was left, which was a good thing.

- I was an enormous Duggan mark at this point in my fandom, so his entire team taking the clean sweep was awesome.

- Jake to Okerlund: "Well I spoke with God yesterday and he told me he didn't like you!"

- I remember being in utter shock when The Undertaker won the WWF Championship. Though I was very relieved that Hogan dumped that casket over before the match started.

- The promo that Piper cut backstage is priceless.

- Oh, The Rockers. It really breaks my heart to watch this match.

I loved the banter between Monsoon and Heenan after Bobby insinuated that neither of the Bushwhackers would be competent enough to captain their team:

Monsoon: "I thought (the team captain) was Luke."

Heenan: "Luuuuke???"

- The main event was a nice happy ending. I love it when heels don't get along. It makes sense to me.

- Was the WWF Championship in the casket with the cameraman at the end?

Wow, I bet I haven't seen this show in 15 years or so. I would have preferred 1988 or 89, but I'll take this one too. I remember the opener being a fun match with a strange ending and of course UT vs. Hogan was a shocking match at the time. Otherwise I don't recall much about the show.

I remember being stunned when Taker dethroned Hogan. Was not expecting that. It's a testament to how much they thought of Taker that they had him defeat Hogan and their faith in him paid off.

For some reason (probably my own stupidity), I'm not understanding the "Hogan's last" part of the subtitle.

I agree with pretty much everybody else. There's a lot better SS to be discussing. Although any ppv with Brain and Gorilla is a classic. Best team ever!!!

Well, they're not on 24/7 at the moment.

It's funny that I didn't even notice that when I was a kid. I remember telling kids at school how shiny his belt was in person. What really happened was there was a lot of glare from the lights on the belt and as a 10 year old in the upper deck, I didn't really see it that well.

It's also hilarious how Dibiase and Bret are in the corner, and the camera is so close you can clearly hear Dibiase say "reverse, charge". Bret then magically reverses and charges.

I believe that's supposed to be an inside joke to the same thing happening in 1990. Or a weird coincidence. Those pin attempts and reversals Bret and DiBiase were doing out of that spot were awesome (and pretty wild for 1991 WWF). And cabbageboy wonders why people disagree with him.

This show almost scarred my youthful mind when I watched it on PPV. Summerslam '91 had been my first wrestling PPV and I remember building my case to order Survivor Series before that PPV had even finished. I recall taking pride in knowing Hogan and Taker was going to be the final match on the show, which didn't even wind up being the case. The match going on third wasn't enough of a warning sign to let me know something was up. That match KILLED the rest of the show for me, though. I don't think I liked Thanksgiving for another two years.

At any rate, it's a pretty shitty show. The only match with any real promise ends in a comically cheap way, even for Survivor Series standards. The truncated final match feels unnecessary without the captains there. The tag match was a downer, too, since it was another piece of evidence the WWF was en route to breaking up the Rockers.

The commentary's the only real reason I've watched the show in years since. Heenan's spot on all night. "The Beverly Brothers grew up with each other. The Nasty Boys have known each other for a very long time. The Bushwhackers were raised in a barn together."

I hate the finish to the opener too (though I love the match), but the way Fink announces the winner comes off like a big "f you" the to people who wanted Flair to get his ass kicked. Even though I was one of those people - I just assumed Piper would beat him - I had quite the laugh over it today.

When I was a kid, I was really let down that not only was Savage NOT being reinstated for this show, Sid wasn't there either. I still thought Bossman and LOD were awesome, but it really was an exercise in pointlessness. Even as an excited kid, the whole thing seemed a bit flat though. After the Hogan (which, it should be noted, we didn't even see Flair slide the chair into the ring - we thought Hogan went down clean to a Tombstone) match we went to get souvenirs and food (there was an intermission here - remember those? - but the line-ups exceeded that time) and missed The Rockers participation in the 3rd tag match and were stuck watching The Bushwackers in action. Of course this sort of thing didn't bother me back then.

I vividly remember excitedly discussing predictions for the show with my cousin. How many legdrops would it take for Hogan to beat Taker? My cousin felt one would be enough, but I figured at least two, maybe even three! I also asked him (because he was the 'expert', having watched since at least 1989 while I didn't start until 1991) if Berzerker would lost his undefeated record if he lost his tag match. I have no damned idea why I even thought about such a thing, especially since we both acknowledged the build-up of calling Undertaker 'undefeated' was nonsense since my cousin saw Warrior beat him. Ah, to be a young mark again.

Oh, even though I've said it before, Gorilla Monsoon getting on Heenan's case about stealing money (in this instance) or selling Hercules 'down the river', regardless of the angle being years old, Hercules not swinging a chain anymore and just being a tag guy, etc. will never not be funny to me.

You might as well shut this show off after Hogan/UT.

Anyone want to explain how Sgt. Slaughter turned back face? I don't seem to remember.

My personal favorite line in the show is this banter between Heenan & Monsoon

Heenan: "We're live from the Jim Louis Arena."

Monsoon: "That's JOE Louis Arena.....Who's Jim Louis?"

Heenan: "I don't know, who's Joe Louis?"

You might as well shut this show off after Hogan/UT.

Anyone want to explain how Sgt. Slaughter turned back face? I don't seem to remember.

Adnan and Mustafa more or less blamed him for the loss at Summerslam, called him soft, and he went on a multi-week quest to get his country back.

I assumed Slaughter was forgiven when I saw him doing the intro for a GI Joe cartoon (which I had explained to me was a rerun). I bought the face turn all the same - he wanted his country back!

Yeah, even as a mark and a huge fan of these old school Survivor Series, this one left me feeling very underwhelmed. I just remember hating the fact that it was one big ad for This Tuesday In Texas (a show I've still never seen). I was so frustrated because I could never find This Tuesday In Texas at any of the video stores (little did I know that the event, or at least most of it, was on a random Coliseum tape...Supertape 4, maybe?). I was hella confused at The Big Bossman and LOD Vs IRS and The Nasty Boys going on last too.

At least they're showing This Tuesday in Texas in the first week of December. I still love the old Survivor Series no matter how bad they are, and this was one of my favorites. I'll watch it later today and tape it, then tape TTIT on the same tape. I just love it for historical significance, much like I love a lot of old stuff and stuff today.

I bought that Supertape with Tues. in Texas on it years and years ago from a rental store. Know what's sad? The tape was ruined in a flood in 1997 and since it's a rare tape now I've never been able to replace it. :(

Tuesday in Texas isn't a bad PPV though. Bret/Skinner is pretty good, and Bulldog/Warlord was certainly better than the WM match.

The commentary's the only real reason I've watched the show in years since. Heenan's spot on all night. "The Beverly Brothers grew up with each other. The Nasty Boys have known each other for a very long time. The Bushwhackers were raised in a barn together."

Heenan: You know what I like most about Detroit? There's an airport and I get to leave in the morning.

Monsoon: Who's going to captain the Nasty Boys-Beverly Bros team?

Heenan: Ummmm, the guy in the long tights.

Monsoon: *mumbling* What a stupid answer.

Heenan: What?!?

Monsoon: THEY ALL HAVE LONG TIGHTS!

Heenan: How about the color of Santana's tights?

Monsoon: What wrong with that? It's an iridescent green.

Heenan: No, it's called iridescent guacamole.

Monsoon: OH PLEASE, BE SERIOUS!

*Santana misses a flying forearm*

Heenan: A beautiful flying taco!

Monsoon: IT WAS NOT! Where are you coming up with all this GARBAGE?

Heenan: I'm a broadcast-journalist!

Monsoon: That's what I was afraid of.

Heenan was in rare form this night. You could tell he was pumped for this show.