TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

Burning DVDs to my CPU.

Ripping them.

I downloaded the Magic DVD Ripper last night, but my computer isn't reading my DVD drive, so I'll have to figure that out first.

DVD Shrink is the beginning and the end of this thread. It's free and simple to use. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask

OK, I tried both of these programs, and all it seems to have done is create backup files. Where do I need to go from here?

Also, do you have to rip the entire DVD all at once? Say I have a TV Series on DVD, and want to rip just one episode. How would I do this?

For DVD Shrink, You open it up. You will see a ReAuthor Tab. Click it and under it choose your DVD drive. When you do that you will see a "Title 1" link. Drag the link to where it says DVD, Right click the Title 1 link and it will say something like "Start/End Frames" Click that and you can edit what you want there.

Thanks.

And again, I'm wanting to make these into video files on my computer, instead of burning them onto DVD-Rs. But all I've been able to do is create backup files.

Thanks.

And again, I'm wanting to make these into video files on my computer, instead of burning them onto DVD-Rs. But all I've been able to do is create backup files.

So you're wanting them converted into avi files or something similar? If so, I usually use WinAvi. It's not free, but not totally unreasonable, 29.95 or something. It can change DVD files to avi, mpg, wmv and vice versa.

If you want to convert from DVD's directly to video files, there's a great program I use, that can convert to a variety of optimized formats... problem is, I haven't used it in a while, and I have forgotten what it's called. Hopefully I remember when I get home from work tonight to check and tell you what I use.

DVD Shrink is the beginning and the end of this thread. It's free and simple to use. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask

Every DVDShrink download that I can find is merely a 30-day trial. Is there somewhere that I am not looking?

Handbrake is the name of the program, and it does EXACTLY what you are looking for. It is freaking awesome, and allows you to make a vid file out of any combination of audio tracks and subtitle tracks (great for ripping anime). Google it, I guess.

The free version of DVDFab or whatever it's called is really great ripping new DVDs that won't work with DVDShrink. It won't compress the video unless you get the paid version, but that's what DVDShrink is for.

I use Cucusoft Ultimate DVD + Videon converter, downloaded off of bit torrent. It works great for me, and you can choose how big a file/how good an image you want to have. I use it to convert my dvd's into MPG-4 for my iPod, but it can convert to most other file types as well.

I've never had a problem converting .avi to .mp4 but the DVD files are a pain in the ass. Last night I ripped a movie using DVD Shrink and converted it to .mp4 using Handbrake. It played in iTunes and seemed fine but when I tried to put it on my iPod I got an error saying it wouldn't play on this iPod and I don't understand why.

Magic DVD Ripper

I've never heard of that program before. You'll have to let me know how it is.

Finally got to use it the other day. It works pretty good. I'll have to look into getting the full version; all I have right now is a 5-usage trial.