TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Bobby Lashley makes MMA debut on December 13th...

The problem is that it's an independent PPV. Independent boxing PPV's like the ones Top Rank runs usually don't get too many buys. Jones-Trinidad (HBO PPV) got something like 500,000 buys, but Vitali Klitschko's fighting on ESPN that night. Obviously it's free.

Roy Nelson was also rumored to be fighting on that card, but I don't know if that'll pan out. In any case, I like the idea. I would like it more if Jones had a better opponent.

We had this discussion a while back about mixed style PPV's, and I'm of the mind that while there is some crossover between MMA & boxing fans, I think most prefer to see them separately, as I do. I'm not sure how well I can explain why, except to say that the mind frame watching the two sports tends to be quite different.

I apologize if its been posted in another thread, but Ken Shamrock is set to fight Bobby Lashley at this ppv.

Bobby and Jason Guida got into it at the presser today, Roy Jones Jr had to break it up.

Guida started running his mouth, and when he got up in Bobby's face for the staredown Bobby grabbed him by him neck and shoved him.

Bobby and Jason Guida got into it at the presser today, Roy Jones Jr had to break it up.

Guida started running his mouth, and when he got up in Bobby's face for the staredown Bobby grabbed him by him neck and shoved him.

Lashley pushes Guida away at 3:58/4:09.

- Guida's a notorious douchebag.

- Kenny Rice is fucking terrible, and while not as bad, Bas is a bit overrated as a commentator.

Jeff Monson was billed as a MMA Legend.

jess-blog-20061127052253715.gif

Eh, I overstated it a little, simply because I love that gif. Really, overstating the standing of pretty much any MMA headliner nowadays is pretty much par for the course.

Guida should be thankful the fight is taking place in a ring or he'd have been taken down by now. First round to Lashley, but he wasn't able to do much because the ring and rules prevented him from doing so.

Lashley wins all three rounds. Lashley should great composure when caught in the guillotine, because it's easier for rookies to panic and make things worse and up tapping. Other than the obvious instances of inexperience, Lashley looked very good for someone in only their second fight.

The only real rookie mistake Lashley made was leaving his neck out there on the shoot in the third round. He was okay everywhere else.

If anything, it was Lashley's inability to get Guida down for most of the fight that surprised me most. Guida took some shots and kept coming. It did however show us that Lashley's not Brock. Lashley may be overall more skilled then Brock was circa the Mir fight, but something's not there with Lashley that it is with Brock. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps killing intent.

Lashley also got more tired then I think Brock has in all of his fights. Overall, it's a solid win but no where what it probably should have been. It didn't help that the ropes were loose as fuck and the referee had no idea what was going on either.

I think, first off, Guida shouldn't be completely dogged here as an opponent; A guy with one fight going against a guy with over 30 is going to be a tough fight. Secondly, the ring had a big impact and I agree with the sentiment that Lashley would have done better in a cage - both for the takedowns and GNP. As for the conditioning, the wrestling clinch is probably the most draining thing you can do in MMA, and Lashley was pushing in that position for a while, of course he's going to gas. Another positive is his hands were faster than I expected, when he let them loose, though still sloppy. The negatives are he needs to diversify his takedowns (throw in some leg trips), and keep his head either looking up to the sky or buried in his opponents sternum when shooting in. Too often did he leave his head in a bad place when attempting the takedown. His GNP was weak and he needs better positioning on the ground. Clearly he has heavy hips, he needs to feel more confident in passing and making a move. Overall a very good victory considering the ring and the experience of his opponent. At this stage, I don't think it's wise matching Lashley up with anyone beyond a handful of fights.