TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

Christmas music 2008

Guest Smues

Oh yes, it's that time of year. The local oldies station switched over to 24/7 Christmas music which means it's time for me to make the annual thread. I loves me some Christmas music.

I tend to like 90% of Christmas music, and there's very little that I actively hate or can't stand to listen to. And it's time for my annual profession of love for All I want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey. Not only one of my favorite Christmas songs but one of my favorite songs. I don't care how much of a wuss that makes me, it's a great song.

So what songs does everyone else like, and what does everyone else hate? And whose version of which songs do you prefer?

The Josh Grobin version of any Christmas song is by default my least favorite version. EVERY version of 'I'll be home for Christmas' that I've heard is awful, except for Tony Bennet's. I tend to like the happier upbeat sounding versions of songs, so that's no shock.

On that note, while Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" or whatever it's called is pretty much dreck, it's just enjoyable to listen to as it's at least upbeat and positive. Contrast that with John Lennon's awful and depressing Christmas song "So this is Christmas." Bleh.

Oh, and NO Christmas music thread would be acceptable without me mention that Christmas Shoes is god awful. Whereas 'All I want for Christmas is you" is one of my favorite songs, not just Christmas songs, Christmas Shoes is one of the songs I hate the most of any songs, not just Christmas music. God is that such a pretension piece of shit. I haven't heard it yet this year, but I'm sure it's coming.

Guest Czecherbear
Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" or whatever it's called is pretty much dreck,

false

We have this mixtape of Christmas music that we listen to on the way to my aunt's house for Christmas Eve, and every single year since I can remember, it always works out that as soon as we get off the tollway in Hinsdale is when that song comes on, so that means we're almost there, and since Christmas Eve has always been my favorite day of the protracted holiday festival (24th through 27th), "Wonderful Christmas Time" has forged an inextricable psychological bond with me, signaling that in mere moments, we'll invariably be stuck at a railroad crossing for five minutes, but after that, an evening of gluttony, "Hava Nagila" played on bagpipes, talent shows, and drawing on the big paper-covered wall, the last activity having evolved as we've aged from drawing reindeer and wreaths to playing word games where we barely avoid using "cunt" in front of the four-year-olds. Dreck? I'll dreck you. You'll never take "Wonderful Christmas Time" away from me. doo-doo-doo-doo-WOW-WOW-WOW-WOW

He's right about the Lennon number though. People who complain about Paul inviting Linda to join in on his solo songs really need to gain some perspective.

Yeah I love me some "Wonderful Christmastime". Possibly my favorite Christmas song. A lot of people think, like most of McCartney's solo work, that it's too whimsical and saccharine. Well sometimes I like whimsical and saccharine.

Anyways I think now is as good of a time as ever to post a video for Tiny Tim's "Santa Claus Has Got The AIDS This Year". What he was trying to do with this song I'm not sure...

Guest Smues

Maybe dreck was the wrong word, but I lacked the ability to find the right one. I think saccharine was a good one. I don't think it's bad, it's just there. And like I said, it's an enjoyable Christmas tune.

Christmas is the only time that WHAM can start playing on the radio and I won't turn the dial, that's how magical Christmas music is. Actually there's probably a lot of artists who I'd turn away from the rest of the year, but their Christmas music is enjoyable.

(Almost a full day of listening to the radio, and no Christmas Shoes yet. It's a miracle! (or most likely they played it when our internet died))

What's everybody's opinion on "Do They Know Its Christmas?" Yeah, it's a little too maudlin and kind of patronizing towards the starving Africans but god damn if I don't get a little bit choked up everytime I hear Bono wail "TONIGHT THANK GOD IT'S THEM INSTEAD OF YOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Oh and "Little Saint Nick" hasn't been mentioned either. That's another one of my favorites. Like Smues, I like about 75% of Christmas music. The only big exceptions besides the ones Smues has already mentioned is "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". Luckily there aren't many hicks programming the local stations that play 24/7 Christmas music so I don't hear it more than once or twice per season but good lord is that song awful.

I like "Do They Know It's Christmas." The stuff I've been listening to most in terms of Christmas music is Sufjan Stevens' "Songs for Christmas" box set. I don't tend to dig on most of the Christmas music I hear outside of my iTunes, but mostly because what I hear is what my parents play, and my parents play Raffi and the Alabama Christmas album.

And I have a CD by Dr. Elmo, the guy who did "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." It has the sequels, "Grandpas Gonna Sue the Pants off Santa" and "Please Don't Make Me Play That Grandma Song Again."

Oncw again people.

498095_170x170.jpg512497_170x170.jpg

My two favorite Christmas albums.

Czech and I have duked the halls over this before, but I have to go with the original Manhymen Steamroller Christmas album, especially for the analog-synth laden nostalgia inducers that are "Deck the Halls" and "Good King Wenceslas." Oh, and A Very Special Christmas is another favorite for bringing back those late 80's/early 90's memories.

As for "Do They Know Its Christmas?", I mostly just remember it for kicking off the trio of international charity songs. I thought it was bleh, though not as atrocious as "We Are the World". Canada won that one easily with "Tears Are Not Enough"... that would be discussion for another thread though

I cant find an MP3 and Im pissed off that when I had to reformat my Inno I lost my recording of it off Special X Mas last year, but my absolute favorite and quite possibly the worst Christmas Song ever..

Rappy McRapperson - Gimme Stuff

Yo, Merry Christmas

Yo, what's the word on the street?

Yo yo!

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

A lot of stuff!

Gimme Gimme Stuff!

Hark, let's make a magical wish!

It's December 20-somethingish.

So put a lot of stuff under a tree (okay).

Here's a Christmas kiss from me.

Yo, yo, yo (Yo, yo)

I'll battle-rap you under a mistletoe.

Christmas time is nice.

Let's celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ!

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

A lot of stuff!

Gimme Gimme Stuff!

Let's hit the dope spot.

I ribbity ribbity ribbity ribbity rap a lot.

I'm the number 1 rapping dude (okay!)

I like money, bitches, and eating food.

So throw your Christmas gifts in the air,

And wave them all around like you just don't care!

And jiggle your (honk-honk) it's a Christmas song,

I hope I get a lot of stuff that I can pawn (ohh).

So go on with your bad self.

That's what I said to a Christmas elf.

I like eating chips (cool!)

When I dip, you dip, we dip!

Gimme Stuff!

A lot of stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

(A whole lot of stuff!)

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Gimme Gimme Stuff!

My raps are the bomb.

Oh, a gift certificate to bed, bath, and beyond.

In the season for joy and love,

And I would love to give you a hug.

I'm Rappy McRapperson (cool!),

I like money, bitches, gangs and guns,

Throw a gang sign in the air (okay)!

The Christmas spirit is (everywhere).

Gimme Stuff!

A lot of stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Gimme Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

A whole lot of stuff!

Gimme Stuff!

Gimme Gimme Gimme Stuff!

Yo, yo (Gimme Stuff!)

This is Rappy McRapperson (Okay, A lot of stuff!)

And we had a lot of fun rapping today (Gimme Stuff!)

About Christmas time (Cool, Gimme Gimme Gimme Stuff!)

I hope to see you real soon for new years (A whole lot of stuff!)

Okay (Gimme Stuff!)

In the meantime keep your (Gimme Gimme Gimme Stuff!)

Keep your ear to the street (yeah!)

Just the lyrics don't do the song any justice though..sigh..

Guest Smues

Random observation: Brenda Lee's version of Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree is my favorite, although I don't think I've heard a bad version of the song. Amy Grant's is pleasant enough, except for one awful part. "You will get a sentimental feeling when you hear, voices singing let's be jolly ....bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum do DO do DO ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" I mean what the fuck is that?

A song I'd forgotten about until I heard it this afternoon: Hey Santa by Wilson Philips. Ehh. Not something that'll make me change the station, but something about it bugs me. I think it's the "santa" in the chorus. "Hey Santa, Hey Santa (Santa)" Just seems like overkill. Like they forced that in just to get all three girls involved. Eh.

I cant find an MP3 and Im pissed off that when I had to reformat my Inno I lost my recording of it off Special X Mas last year, but my absolute favorite and quite possibly the worst Christmas Song ever..

Rappy McRapperson - Gimme Stuff

And here the lyrics went

Just the lyrics don't do the song any justice though..sigh..

I can't read those without hearing Coach Z performing the song in my mind.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I listen to almost nothing but downer depressing music, and nothing makes me want to off myself more than goddamn fucking christmas music. Every single little thing about this holiday can lick its lips and blow me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I like the use of sleighbells on the last track (before the break) of Return to Cookie Mountain

B000009RVB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Can't believe it took me so long to get this considering my love of Beach Boys and Christmas music. Not one, not two but THREE versions of "Little Saint Nick". A lot of stuff from the '60s album is pretty fun stuff. "Santa's Beard" has almost topped "Little Saint Nick". I don't know why but songs about five year olds attacking mall Santa Claus just kill me. The unreleased stuff from their aborted late '70s album is kind of weak but man "Winter Symphony" is one of those lost Brian Wilson classics in my book. Hadn't even heard of the song before I got this.

I have two songs that I am most particularly fond of:

"Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth" - Bing Crosby and David Bowie

Any version of "O Holy Night". I can listen to just about anyone sing this song, and enjoy it every time. Josh Groban has a good version, even early 90's pop star Jon Secada did a good version. Hell, I even like Trey Parker's "Cartman" version of the song. I always thought "O Holy Night" would make a great metal song, but never heard of anyone attempting such a thing until recently. It's in Finnish, but for those that know the words, you can still enjoy this one, "Oi Jouluyö" by Raskaampaa Joulua (Marco Hietala of Nightwish providing the vocals):

Guest Smues

Has anyone else been subjected to the Soldier's Silent Night? I think that's the title. They play it an assload up here and it's pretty depressing/stupid.

Guest Czecherbear

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Since I groused about commercial overexposure a lot in the '60s threads, it has to be noted here that Garmin has obliterated the awesomeness of "Carol of the Bells." One of the most intense Christmas songs, and now I just think of halfwits who can't figure out where they're driving. Fuck you, Garmin. Before anyone mentions it, yes, it was a perfect song for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and yet they still managed to overplay their hand.

Brazilian Punk Y'all...

Infeliz Natal- Raimundos

I bust this out every year.

And this thread would be amiss without my favorite little Christmas delight, "Santa, Baby"

I want to kill someone every time I hear "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". There might not be another song on the planet that can get my blood boiling like that one.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love pretty much any song that was in the Home Alone movies. And even though I generally dislike Mariah Carey, I agree that "All I Want for Christmas" is one of the best Christmas songs out there.