TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

Poor ACC. After a wild, unpredictable season for the conference they end up with the same match-up of former Big East teams from last season that couldn't fill half a stadium.

acc_championship_game_crowd_view_2007_empty_stadium_jacksonville_altel_acc_sucks_sux.jpg

The conference moved the championship game to Tampa this year so we'll see if that helps at all.

And here are my bowl projections which I know you were all dying to know.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

THURSDAY

Louisville at Rutgers, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

MAC Championship: Buffalo vs. #12 Ball State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Navy vs. Army, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

#23 Pittsburgh at Connecticut, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Conference USA Championship: East Carolina at Tulsa, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

ACC Championship: #17 Boston College vs. #25 Virginia Tech, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ABC

Washington at California, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

SEC Championship: #1 Alabama vs. #4 Florida, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS

Division II Semifinal: North Alabama at Northwest Missouri State, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN2

#5 USC at UCLA, 4:30/1:30 PM, ABC

Big XII Championship: #20 Missouri vs. #2 Oklahoma, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

Arizona State at Arizona, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

South Florida at West Virginia, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

#13 Cincinnati at Hawaii, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

SATURDAY

Division II Semifinal: Minnesota-Duluth at California (PA), Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN Classic

FCS Quarterfinal: Richmond at Appalachian State, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

FCS Quarterfinal: Weber State at Montana, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, GP

FCS Quarterfinal: Villanova at James Madison, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Arkansas State at Troy, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

FCS Quarterfinal: New Hampshire at Northern Iowa, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

All Other Division I-A Games

WEDNESDAY

Middle Tennessee at Louisiana-Lafayette, ESPN360

SATURDAY

Western Kentucky at FIU

9-3 Jacksonville plays 8-3 Albany on the YES Network for those interested at 1:30 PM ET. Shame I don't get the ESPN Gameplan (Thus missing out on all the I-AA playoff games). You're telling me they couldn't air one of those games on ESPNU and another on ESPN Classic like they're doing with the D2 game?

Presuming that USC beats putrid UCLA on Saturday, there's one BCS at-large left. Who do you want in? I'm rooting for Boise, but beginning to accept the inevitability of Ohio State (even though I'd much rather see them in the Capital One against Georgia).

Presuming that USC beats putrid UCLA on Saturday, there's one BCS at-large left. Who do you want in? I'm rooting for Boise, but beginning to accept the inevitability of Ohio State (even though I'd much rather see them in the Capital One against Georgia).

This. There's zero chance a bowl would take BSU over OSU, and neither of them will move out of the top 12.

I don't think the move to Tampa will help the ACC title game. It's absolutely mind boggling how boring ass BC keeps winning their division. No one wants to see VT/BC. Not even me, and I'm a big ACC fan. It's ridiculous. They didn't even want BC to join the conference originally.

So ESPN is still pushing this idea that Florida may not make it to the title game even if they beat 'Bama and they're still pushing the fact the human voters may still keep Texas ahead of a Big XII champion OK.

I don't think Florida has anything at all to worry about.

I'm kind of wondering about OU though. ESPN is pushing their burnt orange agenda still and it clearly influenced the voters last week.

Any chance a Big XII champ OU doesn't make the national title game? It was funny because they flashed this graphic that said "Bob Stoops 5-1 in Big XII title games" then went on about how OU has had trouble and struggled in the Big XII title game in the past. What!? Yeah they got blown out by KSU in 03' but they've won 3 Big XII title since and two of them were complete blowouts (Colorado and Mizzou).

Then someone picked Mizzou to pull the upset. I just don't think Mizzou's pass defense, which is ranked in the 100's, can really stop Bradford. One columnist said it right, OU is basically from another planet on offense. Has anybody actually watched this team on offense? I don't hear a lot of people in the media or here really say a lot about how great this offense is. They're pretty much as close to unstoppable as possible. They've scored 35 points in every game this season. I don't know how Mizzou stops that.

That's why Florida vs. OU would be fun. They'd be two great offenses going at it. But OU vs. 'Bama would be fun too because it'd be OU's unstoppable offense vs. 'Bama's top the unstoppable force defense.

Hell I like the notion of Texas going to the Sugar Bowl to play the loser of the SEC title game. Because if Florida lost it'd be really fun to see McCoy vs. Tebow. Texas/Ohio State doesn't do a whole lot for me. Hell, anyone/Ohio State does nothing for me.

Are you still worrying about OU? Sheesh. It will be OU vs the SEC champ if OU wins. Missouri is a top 25 team and OU is 2nd in the BCS right now. RELAX.

I can't until justice is served! Namely ESPN admitting they have an agenda to get Texas ahead. I read a chat with Mark Schaljfahaljhgbab, on ESPN.com where he basically defied logic the entire time and stuck straight forward with his burnt orange blinders on. He insinuated that OU would win the national title, then insinuated that Texas would still be better and more deserving. WTF!?

Ok back to the Ohio State thing. Why are they going to the BCS again!? Why can't Boise go ahead of them? I'd much rather see Boise in the BCS than Ohio State. BSU is way more entertaining than Ohio State. These games are designed for entertainment right? I mean what justification is there to put OSU in over Boise? BSU is ranked higher, will probably draw better ratings (the Fiesta Bowl is still fresh in everyone's minds), and who knows the crowd may be better from them?

Are you still worrying about OU? Sheesh. It will be OU vs the SEC champ if OU wins. Missouri is a top 25 team and OU is 2nd in the BCS right now. RELAX.

I can't until justice is served! Namely ESPN admitting they have an agenda to get Texas ahead. I read a chat with Mark Schaljfahaljhgbab, on ESPN.com where he basically defied logic the entire time and stuck straight forward with his burnt orange blinders on. He insinuated that OU would win the national title, then insinuated that Texas would still be better and more deserving. WTF!?

Ok back to the Ohio State thing. Why are they going to the BCS again!? Why can't Boise go ahead of them? I'd much rather see Boise in the BCS than Ohio State. BSU is way more entertaining than Ohio State. These games are designed for entertainment right? I mean what justification is there to put OSU in over Boise? BSU is ranked higher, will probably draw better ratings (the Fiesta Bowl is still fresh in everyone's minds), and who knows the crowd may be better from them?

ESPN is not biased towards Texas, trust me. They like controversy, so people watch these games when they get the contract.

Ohio State is going to the BCS because the BCS sucks and Tech can't go because only 2 Big 12 teams can go, unless a fluky thing happened, which didn't. It comes down to Ohio State, who travels well and is in a bigger conference, vs Boise State, an untraditional smaller school who didn't beat anyone except Oregon, which is a big win for them. I would place Boise in the Fiesta against Texas (if OU wins this weekend), since I am convinced Boise WOULD travel to Arizona like they did against OU, and we can hear about hook and ladder for a month again. That would be fun.

Wait, I thought ESPN had an agenda to get USC ahead? Or is it just an agenda to get everyone but Oklahoma ahead?

You are clearly, as usual, seeing things that aren't there and then basing your arguments off of these fictitious "agendas" against your team.

Right..............

Anyway back to BSU. You really think Ohio State would travel better than them? Even to the Fiesta Bowl? I think their fans would show up in droves to the Fiesta Bowl if they were playing Texas. Plus I think the ratings would be through the roof for it and the story and buildup could be really good.

So where is Utah projected to play at? In the Sugar Bowl against the loser of Florida/Alabama.

The Fiesta Bowl: where mid-majors go to shine (Utah in 04, BSU in 06)

The Sugar Bowl: where mid-majors go to have their dreams destroyed (Hawaii last year, Utah probably this year)

Right..............

Anyway back to BSU. You really think Ohio State would travel better than them? Even to the Fiesta Bowl? I think their fans would show up in droves to the Fiesta Bowl if they were playing Texas. Plus I think the ratings would be through the roof for it and the story and buildup could be really good.

So where is Utah projected to play at? In the Sugar Bowl against the loser of Florida/Alabama.

The Fiesta Bowl: where mid-majors go to shine (Utah in 04, BSU in 06)

The Sugar Bowl: where mid-majors go to have their dreams destroyed (Hawaii last year, Utah probably this year)

BSU wouldn't travel as well as Ohio State. Boise is a new success story, doesn't have a national fanbase yet, isn't from a big conference, and doesn't have as many fans. Columbus is a bigger city than Boise (I think so anyways, I'm not sure but it's a good assumption) and Buckeyes are one of the 10 biggest fanbases in the country. They also have traveled well to the Fiesta Bowl before.

I don't see why the Sugar would take Utah, UNLESS Florida loses. Arizona is one state south of Utah. The Sugar Bowl is very far for Utah's limited fanbase to travel, and the SEC loser would murder them.

The problem is figuring out where Texas would go if they don't make the national title. I'm assuming USC/PSU will be the Rose and ACC Winner/Cincy will be the Orange Bowl. So, we gotta figure out where Utah, Texas, the SEC loser, and Ohio State go. Ohio State won't be matched up against the SEC loser, I would think, so put them in the Fiesta against Utah. Then, Texas/SEC loser in the Sugar would probably work out okay.

It's pretty much a given the Fiesta Bowl will take a Big XII team just like the Sugar Bowl will take an SEC team as replacements for losing out on the conference champ.

Barring UCLA upsetting USC, the only real thing in doubt about the BCS match-ups is whether the Fiesta Bowl with it's second pick will pass on Utah in favor Ohio State which would send the Utes to the Sugar Bowl. Boise State isn't getting invited, period.

I will add that I like the idea of a Utah/Ohio State Fiesta Bowl and SEC #2/Big XII #2 in the Sugar Bowl as I think it would create better match-ups than the alternatives but not going to happen.

Tough to say. The selection order this year is Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. However, the SEC champ will probably be #1--obviously so if it's Alabama--so the Sugar will technically get first replacement pick. If Florida wins, I can't see the Sugar even thinking about passing on Alabama, who hasn't been to the Sugar since winning the national title in the game 15 years ago. The bowls do work out deals all the time, though, so who knows. If I had to predict, I'd say Texas/Utah in the Fiesta and SEC loser/Ohio State in the Sugar.

9-3 Jacksonville plays 8-3 Albany on the YES Network for those interested at 1:30 PM ET. Shame I don't get the ESPN Gameplan (Thus missing out on all the I-AA playoff games). You're telling me they couldn't air one of those games on ESPNU and another on ESPN Classic like they're doing with the D2 game?

In fairness, it's better this way for the people most interested in the games. All the FCS/I-AA quarterfinals were already preassigned to ESPN's syndication unit, presumably so they could be seen in the local markets of interest. Some in-market fans without access to ESPNU and ESPN Classic would lose out with broadcasts there.

Not to completely rehash an argument from the previous thread, but someone at CNNSI put together the following numbers. This is for anyone who thinks Stoops and Oklahoma have been running up the score while Brown and Texas have not:

In games with 3 touchdown+ margin of victory:

Oklahoma

Chattanooga (57-2), 4th quarter points - 0

Cincinnati (52-26), 4th quarter points - 10

Washington (55-14), 4th quarter points - 7

TCU (35-10), 4th quarter points - 0

Baylor (49-14), 4th quarter points - 7

KState (58-35), 4th quarter points - 3

Nebraska (62-28), 4th quarter points - 0

A&M (66-28), 4th quarter points - 0

Tech (66-28), 4th quarter points - 7

Total OU 4th quarter points in 9 blow-out games: 34 (3.7 points per game)

Texas

Florida Atlantic (52-10), 4th quarter points - 10

UTEP (42-13), 4th quarter points - 14

Rice (52-10), 4th quarter points - 14

Arkansas (52-10), 4th quarter points - 7

Colorado (38-14), 4th quarter points - 3

Missouri (56-31), 4th quarter points - 14

Baylor (45-21), 4th quarter points - 3

Kansas (35-7), 4th quarter points - 0

A&M (49-9), 4th quarter points - 21

Total Texas 4th quarter points in 9 blow-out games: 86 (9.5 points per game)

Texas is scoring almost 3 times as many points, on average, in the 4th quarter of blow-out games

OU has scored 0 4th quarter points 4 times - Texas has only done that once

OU's "worst" sportsmanship win? 10 4th quarter points over BCS bowl team Cincinnati

Texas' worst sportsmanship win? 21 4th quarter points over unranked A&M

Even with 52 more "bad sportsmanship" points, the Texas margin of victory over its opponents (304) is still less than OU's margin of victory over its opponents (342).

Those are the numbers - argue them if you want to.

Here's another way to look at it. In the 9 blow-outs, Oklahoma scored 499 points and Texas scored 421 points...

However, Texas got a much higher percentage of their points late in those games. OU's 1st half/2nd half scoring is 71%/29% with only 7% of the score total in the 4th quarter.

Texas' 1st half/2nd half scoring is 55%/45% with 20% of the score total in the 4th quarter.

Here is it quarter by quarter:

OU 1st quarter: 39%, 2nd quarter: 32%, third quarter: 23%, 4th quarter: 7%

UT 1st quarter: 22%, 2nd quarter: 32%, third quarter: 25%, 4th quarter: 20%

Those numbers are clear. In blow-outs, OU has been scoring early (71% of points are in the first half), and then easing off in the 2nd half.

Texas, on the other hand, has been scoring almost as many 4th quarter points as they have 1st quarter points during blow-outs.

That's almost a perfect example of using statistics to show one thing, when they could just as easily be interpreted to show the exact opposite of your point. Texas never had more than 45 points after 3 quarters in any of those games. OU had that many points in SIX games. Oklahoma's games were almost all over by half time. They ran it up in the 3rd Quarters, Texas did it in the 4th. Both teams ran it up unnecessarily. Stoops just chose to do it on a national TV game to scrape together the last few points which knocked Texas out of the BCS title game. That's why he's the "villain" here.

That's almost a perfect example of using statistics to show one thing, when they could just as easily be interpreted to show the exact opposite of your point. Texas never had more than 45 points after 3 quarters in any of those games. OU had that many points in SIX games. Oklahoma's games were almost all over by half time. They ran it up in the 3rd Quarters, Texas did it in the 4th. Both teams ran it up unnecessarily. Stoops just chose to do it on a national TV game to scrape together the last few points which knocked Texas out of the BCS title game. That's why he's the "villain" here.

Now you're just looking for reasons to hate.

OU should've pulled all starters at halftime right? Even if the other team left their No. 1 team in there and started coming back right? Pulling the starters at halftime would be dumb unless you were up about 75-0.

Oh and btw Bradford has basically missed about a game and a half thanks to all the 4th quarters he's sat out of. And OU's only thrown it about 10 times in 4th quarters where they're blowing the team out.

Anyway, surprise nobody has said anything about USC deciding to wear their home jerseys on the road. For some reason it's a huge topic on ESPN. I don't think it's that big of a deal, just kind of make Carroll look like a jerk, but that's it.

Can it actually be considered running up the score if you need those points to advance to a championship? Sounds like a case of "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Running a play to score a TD when you could end the game by taking a knee is the definition of running up the score. Sadly, it's a necessary evil in a sport where some old white men and computer algorithms dictate which two teams get to play for a championship and generally get it wrong.

Anyway, surprise nobody has said anything about USC deciding to wear their home jerseys on the road. For some reason it's a huge topic on ESPN. I don't think it's that big of a deal, just kind of make Carroll look like a jerk, but that's it.

The Pac-10's interpretation of the team wearing the wrong colored jersey is that they are penalized a timeout at the start of the game. UCLA is taking USC's side in the dispute. The Bruins plan to call their own timeout immediately after USC is assessed that penalty at the start of the game to even it out. Both Carroll and UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel had talked about restoring tradition back at the Pac-10 media day in July.

The last time the Trojans and the Bruins both wore home jerseys -- the Trojans in red, the Bruins in blue and gold -- was in 1982, when the schools shared the Los Angeles Coliseum.

"I just thought it was a really cool tradition," Carroll said.

As for losing a timeout? "I don't care about it right now," Carroll said. "I think it's the fun thing to do, and I think the fans will appreciate it over time."

Carroll said the decision to wear home jerseys is not meant as a sign of disrespect to UCLA, adding that he discussed restoring the tradition with former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and with Neuheisel, the current coach.

"It's exciting," Neuheisel said. "I think wearing the home jerseys is a great tradition."

I'm still waiting for the part where Carroll is kind of a jerk.

Well then I was lied to by the person that informed me of this. All I'd heard was what he said and he basically went on and on about how Carroll was doing it to put the screws to UCLA and show them that he doesn't respect them and can afford to play them with 2 timeouts. My mistake and apologies.........