TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Thread - December

Watching hockey from 70's and 80's shows why scoring was so high. Most of the goalies in the league sucked. They most of them were stand up goalies and the butterfly style was invented in the mid 80's I would say. Goalies are way better that before.

I don't think anything should change with their equipment. If I have bigger pads on, I should be giving up more rebounds and decreasing my mobility. These are bad things.

I've beaten this horse to death, then kicked it when on the ground - so why not some more?

It seems to me that a decrease in scoring can be called, in large part, a by-product (byproduct?) of the expansion wave. Nine teams in nine years means nine starting goalies, but 162 skaters. I'm sure in 1991 there were more than 162 world class hockey players not in the NHL, but if it's an 18:1 ratio, the talent pool's going to get a little diluted.

And what Barron said, times a hundred thousand. Why should the rules change? I don't mind tinkering, a la the new faceoff rule regarding penalty killing, but that's a tweak. That's not drastically altering anything to the point where it would trivialize the records of Gretzky or Orr. Bigger nets would. A mandate on goalie equipment size is kind of grey area in that regard - I hadn't considered the point TakerHart made.

Getting back to Barron's truth - who cares if a game is 2-1? Homeruns are more exciting than strikeouts; does that mean a pitcher's duel is boring? A low-scoring affair doesn't necessarily mean drab hockey. I've made this case a hundred times, but put two teams that I'm neutral to on the ice. Given the option of a pretty goal or a great save. Does anyone remember Paul Coffey's blocked shot in the '84 Canada Cup? I could watch a play like that 100 times and not get bored of it.

It seems to me that this discussion is beating around the bush of what will be the same conclusion, again: The rules are being changed, needlessly, to cater to fans that aren't interested.

</rant>

While I'm still a little uneasy given the finish-line stumbling of Tuesday, my faith is being restored in the Habs after a shaky November. I was especially pleased with the balanced scoring in tonight's game, but moreso, two victories with an exclamation point over a longstanding thorn in the Habs' side.

I've beaten this horse to death, then kicked it when on the ground - so why not some more?

It seems to me that a decrease in scoring can be called, in large part, a by-product (byproduct?) of the expansion wave. Nine teams in nine years means nine starting goalies, but 162 skaters. I'm sure in 1991 there were more than 162 world class hockey players not in the NHL, but if it's an 18:1 ratio, the talent pool's going to get a little diluted.

And what Barron said, times a hundred thousand. Why should the rules change? I don't mind tinkering, a la the new faceoff rule regarding penalty killing, but that's a tweak. That's not drastically altering anything to the point where it would trivialize the records of Gretzky or Orr. Bigger nets would. A mandate on goalie equipment size is kind of grey area in that regard - I hadn't considered the point TakerHart made.

Getting back to Barron's truth - who cares if a game is 2-1? Homeruns are more exciting than strikeouts; does that mean a pitcher's duel is boring? A low-scoring affair doesn't necessarily mean drab hockey. I've made this case a hundred times, but put two teams that I'm neutral to on the ice. Given the option of a pretty goal or a great save. Does anyone remember Paul Coffey's blocked shot in the '84 Canada Cup? I could watch a play like that 100 times and not get bored of it.

It seems to me that this discussion is beating around the bush of what will be the same conclusion, again: The rules are being changed, needlessly, to cater to fans that aren't interested.

I only brought up the bigger nets because I've seen it listed elsewhere as a possible change (A dumb change IMO). As for the goalie equipment, the biggest thing I've seen over at the Hockey's Future Board in relation to goalie equipment discussion isn't so much the leg pads or blockers or gloves but the chest protectors themselves. It seems like (even with the games I've watched) that goalies don't need to rely on making true stick or leg saves as much because they can sit in the net, let the puck hit them somewhere on the chest, and cover it up/skitter it out of the area. The only thing I'd honestly change on a goalie would be the size of the chest protector to fit the individual. A guy who's 6'4" may need a larger chest protector than a guy at 6'0" or 6'1". Compare a picture of Andy Moog from Edmonton to Boston and you'll see that the Bruins protector is much larger.

As for the 2-1 being drab hockey, I never said that just because it's a 2-1 score that it's drab hockey. What is drab hockey is when almost every single game is that 3-0, 3-2, 2-1 game where there isn't great goaltending but just clutching defense and shots missing wide of the net constantly. The Bruins 3-1 win last night was great and featured great saves and shot opportunities from both Boston and TB. I can also appreciate a 4-3 or 5-4 victory in that same light... more goals doesn't mean crappy play either.

I was watching the 1988 Game 6 game between Boston and Montreal last night and one of the interesting things I noticed was that teams were a lot more up tempo too in terms of attitude (aside from fairly poor defensive positioning). It seemed like both teams were pushing the puck up ice more through passes/individually and less worried about waiting to set up the blue line pass/dump and chase the puck.

As for the last comment, look at my attendance records. They're hitting the highest marks that they've hit in 6-7 years and you say that they're catering to fans that aren't interested? As much as you and Barron may dislike the idea of a higher scoring league, it is drawing in interest and adding more fans to the arenas, which is really what matters to the NHL.

- Carey Price busted out the retro equipment look last night for the Montreal Canadiens and looked perfectly fine in net (and it looked cool honestly). Watch the highlights of the game and tell there isn't a dramatic difference between him and Lundqvist when they do close ups of each.

If Lundqvist was not on his game, it would have been 10-2 for Montreal. The Rangers defence really let him down, and the Habs capitalized on it.

I liked that Avery was forced to attend anger management classes because of it, as if it was anger that caused him to say something. I don't know that he has problems with anger, he's just kind of a douche.

The Oilers win their second straight, with a needless 5-4, come-from-behind win. It's their third in four, but how long does MacT have a job? He deserves some slack given the high expectations placed upon a young team, along with the so-so goalie trio, but they're in the bottom half of both goals for and goals against, they're in the bottom five in shots against and PK, and only one player is among the league's top 50 in scoring.

Yeah, things weren't looking good after that first period when Edmonton went up 3-0. I had flashbacks of the recent 6-2 thrashing in Calgary (well, feared it would end up like that anyway- can't have flashbacks to a game I didn't see since it wasn't on TV). But the Kings got 4 in the second period, and LaBarbera only allowed 1 goal, but the Kings lost the shootout. At least they salvaged a point. They play Columbus on Saturday night, while Edmonton goes up to San Jose.

Guest Czecherbear

I could get caught masturbating in a telephone booth and it would be less embarrassing than the pair of goals Cristobal Huet gave up in the first period of tonight's Hawks-Wings game. Hudler made him look stupid. If this team is interested in trying to make the playoffs this year, they need to at least see what Antti Niemi is capable of at the NHL level. He's looked great in Finland, they're raving about him in the AHL, but he's yet to see a shot in the NHL. That should probably change rather soon. Huet's a sunk cost; he can be expensive and bad or expensive and benched. It doesn't matter on the books. Find the best goaltender and run with him.

EDIT: It's a good thing that Jonathan Toews is really really good at hockey. That was almost as much of an outclassing on Conklin as the one Hudler served up. My. Toews might be the best player in town of any of the big five teams, thanks to the advent of the Devin Hester Negative Yardage Return Era.

EDIT2: Holy shit he did it again

I really love that the Bruins are attacking the Panthers' blue line and constantly pushing the puck ahead whenever Florida even threatens to get close. The Bruins are up 2-0 including a great Kessel goal charging forward and shooting through the grouping at the front. Also the Bruins aren't giving the Panthers "dumb" penalties and thus PP opportunities.

My only concern over the past few games was the high number of shots by the opposition but the Bruins are doing a good job of attacking and keeping the "TOP" more in the Florida end then their own.

Edit: Kobasew can be really good in a few years. He has a good ability to dangle around an individual defender (done a couple times) and I hope he starts doing it a bit more as the season goes on.

Guest Czecherbear

Florida is where hockey players go to die.

The Blackhawks scored so many times that they broke the goal horn's air compressor. Ben Eager--Ben fucking Eager!--has two goals and a fighting penalty after landing a knockout punch. Leave it to the Coyotes to cure what ails you.

Florida is where hockey players go to die.

It really is hockey purgatory, isn't it? There may be other bad (or even worse) markets like Nashville or Phoenix, but at least the Predator's been a pretty decent team for the past few years and the Coyotes will always have some relevance in the hockey world as long as Gretzky's coaching.

*Sigh*... this completely baffles me but Verizon FIOS gets the NHL Network and guess what? It's part of their Extreme Sports HD Package. Well, that makes sense, you say because after all the games are in HD, etc.

The NFL Network and now... the MLB Network are part of the basic Essentials Package. So why doesn't the NHL Network just become part of the basic package? It'd allow them greater access to homes and let them compete with the already available NFL and MLB channels.

Not sure how the NHL Network works with other cable packages (if at all) but I was annoyed that a common sense marketing strategy seemed oblivious to the NHL. Since they aren't on a national network ala NBC, etc. right now, one would think it'd be more important to get a channel devoted to the sport into as many households as possible through the most wide available package out there.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but:

Radim Vrbata and his 3 million dollar cap hit have been waived by the EA NHL 09 Tampa Bay Lightning. I guess 6 points in 18 games isn't good enough with that kind of price tag. He's gone to Europe as well, so Tampa will get that money back on their cap. Chris Gratton was waived as well, and with the Panthers missing about 15 forwards, he could possibly go back across the state, which would see him play for the Panthers for the second time in three years. 06-07 with the Panthers, 07-08 with the Lightning and possibly 08-09 with the Panthers again. He might as well get a condo in Fort Myers.

Guest Czecherbear

Is Bryan McCabe still on the Panthers? What about Gary Roberts? Do they still ply in an empty arena across from an outlet mall like 30 miles from Miami? That whole organization is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in Scott Mellanby.

Is Bryan McCabe still on the Panthers? What about Gary Roberts? Do they still ply in an empty arena across from an outlet mall like 30 miles from Miami? That whole organization is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in Scott Mellanby.

McCabe is still in Sunrise and looks like shit. I'd say that it's hard to believe that he got more money a year than Kaberle, but then you have to consider who gave out those extensions and that he's probably working at Men's Warehouse right now. Roberts is with the Lightning this year. I think he might be older than Rick Tocchet (in fact, I'd bet on it har har). Those two Tampa owners look like the biggest pieces of shit right now. They obviously don't know their collective asses from a hole in the ground when it comes to running a team and if they think that LeCavalier is going to stick around and slum it in Tampa for the next fucking nine years, they're in for a reality check. Hopefully that one clears.

I think Scott Mellanby works for the Canucks now.

Hey Max, now that the Bruins are good are they getting much attention in Boston?

I couldn't tell you for sure.

I'm sure the hot stove is taking some news away, as are the Celtics. But they're starting to get attention.

Guest Czecherbear

Mellanby is one of the only notable Panthers I can recall. The other would be John Vanbiesbrouck. Also, plastic mice.

This Lightning thing is getting fun bad, though. I'm still not convinced the Panthers exist.