TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

UFC 93: Franklin vs. Henderson

No, but that has more to do with an MMA HoF having to do more with historical impact and importance at this point (see: Shamrock, Ken). He has a decent resume, but nothing too extraordinary. His main problem (aside from permanent #2 status to Silva) is that while he beat good fighters at the zenith of their careers, almost all of them feel pretty hard immediately afterwards (Tanner, Loiseau, MacDonald, etc.)

What has he really accomplished? You can't say he was the most dominant champ of his era, or division. Not with the run Silva is putting on. In terms of popularity, he is probably one of the top 10 most popular fighters for the past few years running, but never an overwhelming figure in the sport. He drew some of the companys early big buyrates (relative to its day), but nothing really significant (certainly not the numbers they are putting up now). He's one of the divisions best fighters, but he never really was an innovator or trail blazer. At best, he gave the MW division stability after the belt was ignored for years. He has the distinction of being surrounded by giants, at this point, so his accomplishments don't really hold up. He doesn't have the record to really warrant much consideration. MacDonald, Okami, Lutter, Loiseau, Tanner... it's a solid list of wins, but nothing really stands out there cept maybe the Okami win and that was a shit fight for both guys. When you look at the hall, you have Couture, Shamrock, Coleman, Gracie, Severn. Most of those guys stood out for reasons such as influence, dominance, records and accomplishments, and also due to lack of better options.

But the dude did star opposite Kelly Kapowski. Which always keeps him in the running. Hey, maybe if he takes the title at LHW he can make a go of it. Also, if he keeps up the epic burns. He could make the hall on biting wit alone.

"Rampage? I remember playing that game on NES in high school. The one with the dinosaur and gorilla. Oh, they weren't godzilla and king kong. Yeah, no they were not. That would have been legitimate. No, they were more like Rampages children. By that I mean, illegitimate. Which I mean, fathered out of wedlock. Bastards, if you will."

I think it's a little unfair to say if Franklin is HOF or not just yet. It's theoretically possible he could make a play for the 205 title. He'll never win the MW title as long as Silva's around, but LHW? Possible.

If I had to say right now, I'd say Franklin is bottom tier HOF. I think he'll get into UFC's easy, but an overall HOF I think he'd barely make the grade.

Franklin's accomplishments can be questioned, but there's one thing that cannot be. He was pivotal in the beginning of this boom. He had charisma, which Couture and Liddell do not. And he never came off as a douche like Hughes does. Franklin was the basis for a pretty major ad campaign years ago, that helped establish MMA as something other then a brutal sport to many Americans. He's been a fantastic "ambassador" for the sport, due to his story, and how well spoken he is. MMA needed a top line guy to do that role, and Franklin was and in many ways is still one of the best in the sport at it.

Franklin doesn't stand out in any one category, but he's one of those fighters that are overall good, and very intelligent. It never helped him with Silva (Probably due to the vast difference in their skill sets), but it's helped him throughout his career. He's a guy that's gotten where he is based upon hard work and not being gifted with some godly talent. The sheer fact that he's had to earn everything he's gotten, gives him even more credibility for a HOF. You can make a case that UFC handed him his role, but at the same time, the man has only ever lost three times in his career, and two of them were to Anderson Silva. He's ten and two in UFC. You can't just get that kind of record in UFC unless you're legitimate.

Plus. He's HOF worthy if only for his comments on the countdown show. That was some of the best uses of sarcasm and wit ever in the UFC.

The most interesting thing about the countdown show, was they made it seem like Shogun/Coleman was as important as the main event. I'm interested in the fight...I really want to see what Shogun is like. Coming back from two major knee injuries is going to be tough, and the layoff of fifteen months won't help any either.

If he's lucky (insofar as his knee is still messed up), he'll be able to be relatively competitive with one leg, much as Tito has been over the past few years.

On the other side of the scale, there's Javi Vasquez...

The problem with Shogun, will be his style. I don't know if he'll be able to do that with a bum knee. He was all about speed and ferocity. It's hard to do both when your knee is going to re-break at any moment.

It's gonna be interesting to see, regardless of what happens.

Yeah, I thought the Shogun/Coleman fight build was fairly well done. They focused a surprising amount on Coleman and I don't know if that's because he has the better story, because they like him more, or because they want people to think he has a chance (or all or some of the above). Though he kinda came off as being partially retarded, for better or worse ("I didn't stomp on Wanderleis head." *Footage of Coleman post Shogun fight proudly saying he was stomping on Wandy*)

I just wanted to point out that having done both, the actions and intentions behind them tend to be a different. Besides, we all know that if Coleman truly went street on Wanderlei: HEADBUTT.

Dana's video blog leading up to this is pure gold. Ripping on the food in Britain, trying to goad Franklin into talking shit on Henderson, playing guitar hero in the iPhone....good stuff.

All you do is tap buttons. iPhone has buttons.

Also, we aren't ordering the show this weekend due to Affliction/Death of Penn in the coming weeks but I'm gonna make reservations at a Shoeless Joe's near our crib (OLD SKOOL STYLE) so if you and/or Charlie are coming down holla back.

I like Rich Franklin. Only the hardcore fans hate him because of the exposure and the popularity he has or because he's gotten shit kicked by Anderson Silva x2. I don't see whats not to like about Rich, he's a humble fighter who always puts in a show. I believe he is the best middleweight in the world not named Anderson Silva, and could beat anyone else at this point in the division.

Rich never has made excuses in defeat, and what made me respect him even more was when he told his hometown not to boo Anderson Silva. Just shows you the type of class and respect he has. He's a great ambassador of the sport.

Big fan of Rich. Guy puts on entertaining fights. He just suffered from dominating a so-so division for a while. And since he's not BJJ the hardcore fans don't swing from his nuts

One thing I really don't like, is the TUF aspect to this fight. Rich Franklin does *not* want to coach TUF. He does *not* want to go back to 185. Yet he's virtually being forced into both.

Henderson, on the other hand, wants to do both. He even likes the "Team UK vs. Team USA" concept.

A part of me thinks Franklin might lose, but not so much throw the fight, but more as...being infected with "dontgiveshit-itis". This fight does nothing for him.

The plan may be to have the winner of Bisping vs. Franklin/Henderson fight Silva. And if you're Franklin, if that's the case...Maybe you don't want to win this fight.

http://sherdog.com/news/articles/pros-pick...-franklin-15778

Surprised at the number of pro's picking Dan. Rich's showing against a wrestler much more powerful and even skilled than Dan in his last fight doesn't seem to resonate with a lot of people. Dan Henderson obviously offers a lot more on the feet, but I don't think his wrestling will play much of a factor in this fight as some people might like to believe.

Henderson certainly has the wrestling to control Franklin for 3 rounds but he's shown to be utterly retarded when it comes to gameplans in the past. Franklin, on the other hand has dealt with bigger and stronger wrestlers and done fine on his feet and even off his back shown great defense in avoiding shots from on top and getting a standup via sub attempts or stalling if need be. Rich is getting grossly slept on here.

When I said a lot more on the feet I meant than Hamill not Franklin.

I agree about Franklin getting underrated here which is why I brought it up, but I do think Dan has developed a nice standup game over the past couple of years and while he goes for it a lot, still has more to offer than the big right hand. The left hook is probably more useful for him now actually, but that's besides the point.