TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
St. Gabe

Merry Christmas!

Guest Vitamin X
Indifferent to the holiday. I like some of the music and food, but mostly just enjoy being around family. I really don't enjoy getting presents because I hate being surprised and I hate lying about how much I like something. Every once in a while I get something I'm truly happy to get, but it's mostly just gift certificates to stores/restaurants I don't go to that force us to go to eat at Chili's or something. As comedian Dan Naturman said: "Why not just give me the $50 and a note that says 'Hey, if you're in the area check out Tower Records!'"

Really, what's with gift certificates? Are people worried that if they give you cash you'll just spend it on drugs?

Not just drugs but other bad stuff such as junk food or whatever. Also, I've known several people who've received cash presents from relatives and then had their cash pretty much jacked by another member of the family, like in the case of a friend of mine who's from a bit of a poor (read: white trash) family and all the cash presents her dad sent her, her mom started taking it away to say it was for bills or whatever. I've heard of a lot of similar situations occuring, in fact my cousin was running around with some less than stellar people some time ago and her mom (my aunt) is not the most financially sound person, so there I had twice the reason to just give my cousin a $50 giftcard to Best Buy and a Tori Amos shirt and all that (since she was/is really into her).

With gift cards, they're nice when either a) you don't have much cash to go blow on an actual gift, b) you're buying for relatives you see less than 10 times a year, or c) you know it's a place they like to go and can pick out what they want.

I was lucky this year in that I was able to find most people decent gifts (even on a limited budget) and only had to result to gift cards for like 3 people with two being my stepsister and her husband and one of my stepbrothers and his girlfriend.

I beat you.

Back on topic: I love Christmas. I've asked for mostly cash for the past few years, since I was saving up to buy a car. But since my grandfather gave me a nice car this past summer, I am no longer in "need" of cash. It's weird making a Christmas list again. I haven't really gotten many non-cash/giftcard gifts in a while. What I'm asking for this year:

Bowling Shoes

Slippers

The Bro Code by Barney Stinson

iTrip Auto

The complete Arrested Development series on DVD

I'm still looking for a few more things I want, though I guess a little cash wouldn't be too bad.

excluding the eggnog (never had it) and the snow (never experienced a significant amount), this right here you happy holidays sons ov bitches.

I am completely disgusted by social merriment, busy stores, snow, tacky decorations, egg nog, and christianity.

Christianity once topped my christmas hate list but I made peace with that a long time ago.

So much so that I make a huge production of it.

What preparations go into this and what's the finished product like?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This, more or less.

You've never experienced snow? That's so bizarre to me.