TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Well, it's between a couple of crappy teams and the Hornets giving up Mike James for some reason. I'd expect bigger trades between now and the deadline, this is just the Wizards trying to get guard help. And thank God they haven't traded Dixon again.. yet.

The Suns traded Raja Bell, Sean Singletary, and Boris Diaw for Jason Richardson and Jered Dudley. What a stupid trade for the Suns. Which is it, slow down with Shaq, or run and gun? Don't get it. And they traded their two best defenders as well.

Dumb. For both.

Guest Vitamin X

Giving up J-Rich will be hard on the Bobcats, but getting Bell and Diaw in return is actually a good deal for them. Team them all up with Okafor, and it's not too bad in Charlotte.

That strikes me as an ok deal for Charlotte. They'll definitely miss J-Rich's scoring, but Diaw and Bell are quality players. Bell seems like a guy Larry Brown would like.

As for Phoenix, who knows what's going on out there these days? I'd say this trade was ok if they hadn't done Marion for Shaq last year. J-Rich was awesome in the run-and-gun offense at Golden State, so I imagine he would've been better with Nash creating opportunites. But that's not the way it is. Does Phoenix have anyone that can be considered an above-average defender now?

Jason Richardson is obviously an upgrade in talent over Raja Bell, but as mentioned is a sizeable downgrade defensively. Also, Amare is already whining about wanting the Suns to be "his team", and this is just another guy who will demand a lot of his touches. I just don't get this trade from Phoenix's side.

Meanwhile, Charlotte can put a nice defensive lineup out there with Bell/Wallace/Okafor.

Meanwhile, Charlotte can put a nice defensive lineup out there with Bell/Wallace/Okafor.

Yeah but who's their primary scoring threat now? Wallace? Felton? Those are third option players at best. I mean, I know that if Larry Brown had his druthers his team'd win every game 65-50, but I just don't see this working out for them.

Guest Vitamin X

Meanwhile, Jason Quick of the Oregonian had this to share about Greg Oden:

I can’t really stand to be around him. He’s such a downer. He’s not a very fun guy to be around and he’s not a very fun guy to talk to. I think his teammates like him, but that guy is not interacting with very many guys in the locker room right now. He can’t let go of being Greg Oden. I think he’s obsessing with all this expectations. Until he starts having fun again playing basketball, he’s not going to get better. I don’t know how he’s going to do that.

Hmm. Seems to me like Oden, so far, has little to no offensive game to speak of in the NBA, but his defensive presence is really nice to have. What's really weird about the Blazers this year is that despite Oden being a bit of a disappointment thus far and Aldridge having a down year, guys like Pryzbilla are stepping up and having monster seasons (although not much in points, he's huge in blocks as usual and pretty much shut down Dwight Howard the other night) which is helping out Portland quite a bit.

One of Oden's biggest problems right now is that he gets zero respect from the refs and so he gets in foul trouble early, which really seems to fuck with his head. He always looks so dispirited whenever he gets pulled after his second/third foul. It's sad.

Presumably Wallace goes back to being the go-to guy for the Bobcats for the time being. I'm not really sure what they're doing either, but I guess they're more suited to Brown's coaching style now. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who pushed for the trade.

According to John Hollinger's stats, the Cavs are currently on their way to having the most dominant season in NBA history. Yes, the 2008-09 Cavs have a chance to be the greatest team in NBA history. I'm not advocating this position or pushing it, but I would like to introduce it for consumption by TSM.

Playoff odds currently project the team as having a 54% chance of winning the NBA title. Really. That means if someone offered you the Cavs or the field as NBA champions, you'd be wise to take the Cavs. I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this.

Guest Czecherbear

A Head Coach of a NBA team should know better than to do something so fucking bush league.

That's no head coach, that's Vinny Del Negro!