TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Post in this thread if you have never stood in shin-deep snow

It hasn't snowed in Sydney since 1851. I've only ever seen snow twice in my life, once at an Aussie ski resort and once in London.

Currently 65 degrees and cloudy. Could anybody tell me if, weather-wise, there is another place in the world that is more schizophrenic than the Midwest?

Guest Vitamin X

Yes. Mt. Washington, New Hampshire. It's at the convergence of several storm tracks (including our faithful and wonderful one from the Pacific NW, the South Atlantic, and the Gulk) and winds exceeding hurricane force occur an average of 110 days per year. It holds the record for direct measured wind speed- 231 mph, and all the buildings in the area have to be chained to the ground.

Oh, I'm so happy we got back to normal Portland weather. Currently 45 degrees and raining. Of course, the mix of the snow still on the ground everywhere and the rain is making more slushies than Kwik-E-Mart right now.

Yeah, all that shit on the ground finally started melting today. For whatever reason, the people who own this subdivision didn't get the roads plowed until this morning. With there being a rather large hill at the end of the only road out of here, we've had some misadventures trying to go anywhere. I'm told that my dad, heading to the airport and struggling to get his car up that hill, launched a shovel clear across the street. Glad this shit doesn't happen here more often.

Guest Vitamin X

You and I are in pretty much the same predicament. At the top of a large hill, completely ignored by the plows, so everyone's gotten their cars stuck in snow. The other day I was trying to bring back groceries and the car I was using got stuck and it took some deft maneuvering in reverse to avoid hitting any other cars parked on the street while slipping and sliding on the ice.

Can't say I was looking forward to rain instead of snow before this winter, now I can say I do- although it's mostly because this city (along with Seattle, I'm guessing) is so incredibly inept at dealing with this sort of weather. Most businesses and schools, things of that nature, have been closed too.

Last week I had to be out in both snowstorms, doing my usual delivery route. Bad enough the week before I hit a patch of black ice and put a football sized dent in someone's front quarter panel.... the most annoying part about it is that at one warehouse I have to shovel a path to my truck just to load and unload stuff from it, and then when I get to the other one I have to dig a path for my truck to back up to the loading dock, and thrown down rock salt to make sure I don;t get stuck there.

Fucking annoying, let me tell ya, but its a living.

X: That video was both funny and horrifying at the same time. I shudder to think how much some of those people's insurance rates skyrocketed after that... there had to be ice underneath that snow, either that or that was a very steep hill. Or both.

Guest Vitamin X

That was from the first winter storm I encountered here, back in January `07. It's a VERY steep hill, to be fair to those drivers, but I can't attest to how much ice was underneath all that. That said, I CAN attest to the fact most drivers here don't have a clue what to do in wintry conditions- we know how to deal with excessively wet/rainy conditions, but snow and ice? Forget it.

God be damned! That shit's piling up outside right now. I have a job interview tomorrow that I'd very much like to reach without risking life and limb.

I woke up today to find my truck cased in Ice, it took great effort just to tug open the door, then I had to spend 15 mins scraping at the layer of ice so I could somewhat safely drive to work.

Fuck Wisconsin

I woke up today to find my truck cased in Ice, it took great effort just to tug open the door, then I had to spend 15 mins scraping at the layer of ice so I could somewhat safely drive to work.

Fuck Wisconsin

Try WD-40.

My driveway is now completely clear. I'm conducting an experiment: I put down about 150lbs of salt. I'm going to see if there's any preventative benefit to doing this the next time we get shit on.

I'm guessing that the atmosphere would normally have enough moisture in it to react with and dissolve the salt, BUT, it's very dry! Will certainly be interesting.

result?