TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Let's talk Belle & Sebastian

About two or three times a year, I put on If You're Feeling Sinister and completely fall for what's almost a perfect album. The effect is short-lived, though. I never think about it when considering my favorite albums, but when I listen to it, I wonder why I don't list it among my favorites.

Belle & Sebastian has a lot of great songs, but I pick "Lazy Line Painter Jane" as the best, hands down. It never fails to leave me giddy. I love feeling giddy. That it happens so rarely makes it all the more a treat.

Radio Station Memories: When Dear Catastrophe Waitress came out, my fellow DJs played the ever-loving shit out of "Step Into My Office, Baby." Though I like the album it came from a lot, hearing that particular song nonstop made it sort of the indie "Hey Ya," an even more popular song from around the same time that I also grew to despise.

After going a year or two without hearing "Hey Ya," I managed to like it again. I still can't stand "Step Into My Office, Baby."

Guest Czecherbear

The Life Pursuit was the first Belle & Sebastian album I heard, and still my favorite. "Dress Up in You"/"Sukie in the Graveyard"/"We Are the Sleepyheads" is my favorite part, but really, everything from the beginning up to "To Be Myself Completely" is super-good; only "Act of the Apostle II" gets a little dull before the second half when it repeats Part I kinda. Unfortunately, this album is inextricably tied to the summer for me, so I can't really go back and listen to it right now without feeling really sad.

Inc, was that you who said "For the Price of a Cup of Tea" sounds like a Mentos ad? That made me laugh.

It was kind of a one-shot gimmick song, but I honestly think "Your Cover's Blown" is the best thing they've ever done.

Yeah, it's awesome. I had sort of written these guys off after two mediocre albums (The Boy With the Arab Strap and Fold Your Hands, Child...) but the two since then have been the best work they've ever done.

Guest Czecherbear

Start with The Life Pursuit, If You're Feeling Sinister, and Dear Catastrophe Waitress, as far as albums go.

Hey, I like "Step Into My Office, Baby"!

Start with The Life Pursuit, If You're Feeling Sinister, and Dear Catastrophe Waitress, as far as albums go.

Throw Tigermilk in there, too. "The State I Am In" is still one of their best songs, and the cover photo always arouses me no matter how many times I see it.

Guest Czecherbear

"The Fox in the Snow" has been a favorite of mine for a while. I hate "Piazza, New York Catcher," though. Twee-pop and baseball are great but never the twain shall meet.

I'm on record with my Belle & Sebastian love. Tigermilk, If You're Feeling Sinister and The Life Pursuit are all excellent albums.

Check out "Meat and Potatoes" if you can find it, it's a b-side from the Funny Little Frog single.

The first B&S album I heard was 'Boy With The Arab Strap', I liked it enough to seek out more of their stuff. So, whilst it's not up there compared with how good a lot of their other stuff is, I still have a bit of soft spot for it.