Chicago @ Atlanta, 7:00

New Jersey @ Charlotte, 7:00

Oklahoma City @ Washington, 7:00

Orlando @ Minnesota, 8:00

Utah @ Houston, 8:30 NBATV

Detroit @ Milwaukee, 8:30

Memphis @ San Antonio, 8:30

Toronto @ Portland, 10:00

In today's games, it was Atlanta over Detroit, Boston over New York, Dallas over Washington and Cleveland over OKC.

Guest Smues
Rodney Stuckey scored 40 tonight. Neat.

He's surely to be the best thing to ever come out of my alma matar.

WOW... Amazing finish in Phoenix. Tied at 88, Grant Hill inbounds the ball, runs in behind a couple SA defenders, and drops in a layup with 4 and a half seconds remaining. San Antonio calls a timeout and inbounds at half court. Parker tries to drive, kicks it out to Roger Mason, and Mason hits the 3 as time expires to win it for the Spurs, 91-90.

Stuff like that reminds me of why I love basketball. I hate both teams (not that they aren't fun to watch) but that finish and the fact that Phoenix lost makes me happy. Now it's time for Lakers/Celtics. My only regret is that I don't get to see it in HD, but I found out that ESPN is showing Bulls/Heat, Rose vs. Beasley, tomorrow afternoon. I get a rare opportunity to see my Bulls on TV, and I'm getting my HD receiver tomorrow.

The Spurs were really getting boned by that officiating crew, so that ending was only fitting. Great game.

You know, the Pacers interviewed Stan Van Gundy before hiring Jim O'Brien. Is it wrong of me to start thinking they made the wrong choice, or should I give O'Brien some more time?

Hot damn. Trevor Ariza with the diving save, and Vujacic catches it, hits the layup, and gets fouled. Man, NBA Christmas is already way better than NFL Thanksgiving, and we still have 2 and 1/2 games to go. Cavs/Wizards will probably have a margin of victory similar to the Thanksgiving football games, though.

EDIT: I can't believe it took until 13.5 second left in the half for Boston to shoot their first free throws. That was one hell of a well played (by both teams), physical, entertaining first half at Staples. 51-45 Lakers.

Speaking of this game, what's LeBron weighing in at these days? I've heard some media people saying that he's put on 20-25 pounds of muscle. That would put him at least in the freakin' 270's...surely that can't be true, can it?

Fucking Lakers. I don't mind Kobe, Fisher, Odom or anyone else really except for those two fucking euro-pussies Gasol and Vujacic. I just can't stand those guys.

Fucking Lakers. I don't mind Kobe, Fisher, Odom or anyone else really except for those two fucking euro-pussies Gasol and Vujacic. I just can't stand those guys.

Why the hate? I could see hating Kobe, which you said you don't, and Gasol if you're Chinese, but other than that... why? I don't like the Celtics, but I respect the team. Also, Kevin Garnett has been one of my favorite players since his second year in the league, so even though I was pissed when Boston won the title, I was happy for KG.

Anyway... Since Devin Harris was mentioned during the Mavs/Blazers game (nice red and green Christmas color coordination, by the way)- do you guys think the Nets can keep up their decent start and contend for the playoffs? I had them pegged to be the second worst team in the league after OKC, but they're 14-14 and Devin Harris is in beast mode.

Postgame edit: Wow... the Blazers just collapsed there. Roy could have brought them right back in it with that 3, but he missed badly. Props to Dallas for beating a very game Blazers team, even after Josh Howard was ejected early on.

Today was the best day of basketball I can remember in a long, long time. This all reminds me of why I used to obsess over basketball and why it was my favorite sport for so long. I kind of stopped watching regularly (but always kept up with things) around 2003. The Bulls were no good, the Lakers were no good, and the game just wasn't entertaining. Teams like the Spurs, Nets, and Pistons were just no fun to watch and they were the ones contending year in and year out.

Bill Simmons was right- fuck parity. The league is infinitely better when there are some very elite teams and some really horrible teams, rather than all but 2-3 being in the middle of the pack.

Guest Vitamin X

Terrible game tonight. In Portland, too! I had a chance to go to it, but I didn't. Blazers are 2-0 when VX goes to watch them so far, maybe they would've won with my undying support from up beyond the rafters.

Anyway... Since Devin Harris was mentioned during the Mavs/Blazers game (nice red and green Christmas color coordination, by the way)- do you guys think the Nets can keep up their decent start and contend for the playoffs? I had them pegged to be the second worst team in the league after OKC, but they're 14-14 and Devin Harris is in beast mode.

Bill Simmons was right- fuck parity. The league is infinitely better when there are some very elite teams and some really horrible teams, rather than all but 2-3 being in the middle of the pack.

I edited out the parts of your post I will reply to, hope you don't mind.

I can't name 7 teams in the East better than NJ right now. Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta, then it's a crapshoot. I say Philly and Toronto will right the ship. That's 6 teams I can definitely see making the playoffs. The 8th seed will come down to NJ, Miami, and possibly Indiana. Milwaukee and Chicago probably won't make it. I don't believe in the Knicks. Charlotte is Charlotte. Washington's dug themselves in too deep of a hole and Agent Zero will need to lead them to about Zero Losses in 8 weeks for us to stand a chance unfortunately. So, I like NJ's chances and Harris might warrant a look for MVP if he keeps it up.

You're right about there being more fun when there's elite teams to hate. I hate there being elite teams but it's no fun when they win 53 games and are bounced out. Let them win their 65 so I can put more anger in towards them come playoff time.

You can't see the Pistons in the playoffs?

Well, yeah. I don't even know why I forgot them. I even said the 8th seed and then only named 6 teams making the playoffs for some reason. Well, add Detroit in and my post makes more sense.

Guest Czecherbear

Well, sure Bill Simmons would say that now. I bet he was howling for more parity when the Celtics sucked dick for free, in between references to Georges Muresan and the Karate Kid. Don't cite that feeble-voiced punkass in Boston-related sports matters, Matt; you're smarter than that.

It's good to have great teams, and this year's .500palooza that is the NFL is exciting and compelling for all the wrong reasons, but the underclass of this year's NBA is too awful for words. Six coaches were fired before Christmas. Scott Brooks, Tony DiLeo, Ed Tapscott, Kenny Natt, Jay Triano: who the fuck are these people? THEY'RE COACHES IN THE NBA? What? I thought it impossible, but Vinny Del Negro is almost in the middle third of coaching tenure six weeks in! There are teams with 3, 4, 7, and 8 wins. The NBA's newest market just had a dump truck of horseshit pull up at its doorstep. The Charlotte Bobcats front office staff is down to Michael Jordan's secretary and a 72-year-old man named Earl who cold-calls area residents to see if they wouldn't mind a half-off deal on some tickets if they're not busy tomorrow night. I understand that there's going to be a bell curve here, but I'm deriving precious little enjoyment from so much abject crap at the bottom of the league. Even the "good" teams, i.e. Eastern Conference 5th-8th, kinda suck too. Tell you what, let's find out if the Face For Radio And Voice For Print is still advocating the infinite superiority of the NBA when the recession and paucity of quality professional basketball further join forces to really fuck the league's shit up more than they already have.

I'm not sure that Philly is going to right the ship this season. Keep in mind Elton Brand is out for the next month or so. I know he was underachieving, but that's a big piece for that team. And they're another team that's gone through a coaching change.

One thing to keep in mind about the Nets is that they've had a pretty easy schedule so far (.463 SOS, which is third-lowest in the league, behind Orlando and Miami). But I'm not going to take away from Harris's play. MVP is probably far-fetched, but he could definitely be at the All-Star game.

But the NBA is horribly unbalanced this year. You've got 3 teams that can't even win 15% of their games and 6 under 30%. There's 3 teams winning over 82.5% of their games and 11 over 60% right now. There's a really good chance barring an injury to Kobe, KG, Pierce, Allen or LeBron that three teams might be in contention for the single season NBA record for victories AND there's also a chance that two teams in the NBA might have to wait until the final month of the season to win TEN games.

That's true. I never thought we'd see a 10 loss team and a 9 win team ever again, and we might see it happen both ways this year. I don't see Minnesota and OKC winning 10 games. I don't see Boston losing 11 games. It's crazy. The only really bad team, record wise, I see improving is Washington, and that's not total biasedness. They are getting Arenas back, so I expect them to win at least 20 games by the end. Which might make them out of the top 5 worst teams in the league! It's ridiculous. I thought a salary cap was supposed to balance this, which just goes to show how big of a joke the salary cap is. And coaches getting fired every week doesn't help things.