TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Bill Simmons was right- fuck parity. The league is infinitely better when there are some very elite teams and some really horrible teams, rather than all but 2-3 being in the middle of the pack.

Well, sure Bill Simmons would say that now. I bet he was howling for more parity when the Celtics sucked dick for free, in between references to Georges Muresan and the Karate Kid. Don't cite that feeble-voiced punkass in Boston-related sports matters, Matt; you're smarter than that.

I never read Simmons before last year, so I don't know what he was like. His Boston homerism is blatant. That much is apparent to anyone who has read a single one of his columns. But I still agree with what he said as I stated before. It was the same when the Bulls were on top.

Speaking of the Bulls, they're playing a rare nationally televised game right now. I wish the DirecTV guy would get here so I could watch the rest in HD. The Bulls are wearing their black unis as they play the heat in the first ever matchup between #1 pick Derrick Rose and #2 pick Michael Beasley and the Heat. It's 21-18 Bulls after 1. Ben Gordon has hit 3 three pointers and, I was surprised to find out, is 1 behind Scottie Pippen for most threes ever in a career by a Bull.

Damn, Bill Walton and Jalen Rose were acting like the Lakers just won the NBA title and proved they were definitively better than the Celtics. If I remember right the finals went 6 games and they split the season series last year. So it's not like the Lakers haven't beaten the Celtics in forever or anything.

Damn, Bill Walton and Jalen Rose were acting like the Lakers just won the NBA title and proved they were definitively better than the Celtics. If I remember right the finals went 6 games and they split the season series last year. So it's not like the Lakers haven't beaten the Celtics in forever or anything.

oh God here we go again

oh God here we go again

Oh god, you know what Penguin? Why don't you kiss my ass? I'm tired of everytime I make a post you've got a snide comment in response to it or some sort of doom prophecy. It's getting old dude. Just stop. Seriously stop.

I apologize to everyone else for my outburst, this guy has just been picking at me for the past 2 months and I've tried to ignore it, but there's only so much you can take even when you're being on your best behavior.

On to other news. Wow, the Thunder almost beat the Pistons. Of course they're still 3-27 and have had many close games throughout the season, so who even cares?

Yeah, the Pistons have just been bleh most of this year. Even though they might get a decent seed, I just don't see Detroit doing much in the playoffs...maybe a 1st-round win depending on the matchup.

Bill Walton is the stupidest man alive.

I still remember when he was doing Jazz playoff games in the mid-late 90's. Stockton-Malone pick and roll, Karl misses the shot.

Walton: That's the problem with Utah, they do the same thing over and over, defenses know it's coming.

Next series, same thing only Karl makes the shot.

Walton: Utah has this offense perfected, it's nothing flashy, but they execute better than anyone in the NBA.

I don't think I've ever heard a more "What have you done for me now?" commentator in my life.

Guest Vitamin X

Chicago's sports teams, excepting the 2005 run by the South Siders, hasn't exactly shown a penchant for handling pressure very well in recent years.

What happened to the Bulls? They swept the defending champs 2 years ago and have completely fallen apart since being the "sleeper pick to win the East" last year.

Well, Czech would tell you they need to get rid of everyone but Derrick Rose. While I'm on the subject, in the last NBA thread, bob_barron said nothing when Czech stated that the Bulls should tank the season to get a good draft pick since that would do more for them than the 8 seed could. Bob had previously called me a terrible fan for believing that my team, the White Sox, would lose a game when they were down in the 6th inning after they had shown an inability to win in such situations for a long time. That just goes to show the double standard Bob has when it comes to me.

Anyway, the Bulls have a very solid foundation. They were distracted early last season by the Kobe Bryant trade rumors, and Deng and Gordon were upset about their contractual situations. Scott Skiles was fired prematurely, and it was all downhill from there. The Ben Wallace trade didn't help because, while they got rid of a big, overpaid oaf, they took on a smaller, overpaid guy in Larry Hughes who is a locker room cancer.

They really only need 2 things. It's just that those 2 things are hard to come by in the NBA. They need a good coach, which they had, and they need to acquire a talented center, probably in a trade involving Gordon or Hinrich, another player, and a draft pick or two. I like Drew Gooden, but he's not sticking around nor is he worth keeping at the salary he will command, and neither he nor Joakim Noah are fit to play he center position in the NBA. Noah doesn't score or rebound well, and he's so skinny that he can't defend NBA bigs.

If the Bulls has a good coach and a decent to good center, they'd be the 4th or 5th best team in the Eastern Conference, though still clearly behind Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

The Grizzlies have the Spurs in double OT right now. Now I don't feel so bad about losing to them without having Danny Granger in the second half.

Guest Vitamin X

Czech's also the sort of person who believes that unless you know you can win a championship that season, you should just completely tank the season and go for a higher draft pick, a line of thinking I don't agree with at all. It's astounding that Avery Johnson is still without a job in the NBA- the Warriors had a hell of a run in that one playoff matchup, and Dallas got rid of him, now he's damaged goods? He's certainly a lot better than Vinny fucking Del Negro.

And decent to good big men are hard to come by in the NBA, this is true. Look at Greg Oden- I hate to jump on him so quickly, but unless he really turns around his play, he looks like he's destined to be a draft bust. Starting to wonder how strong the Blazers would look now with a line-up of Blake-Roy-Durant-Aldridge-Pryzbilla. Joel doesn't get a lot of points, but he's an excellent defensive center and gets a ton of rebounds- at the Denver game I went to last Tuesday guy had 19 rebounds, meanwhile Oden was in foul trouble in the 2nd quarter as usual.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this was before tonight, though. Oden played a great game today, so maybe he's finally turning the corner.

Guest Czecherbear
What happened to the Bulls? They swept the defending champs 2 years ago and have completely fallen apart since being the "sleeper pick to win the East" last year.

Ben Wallace making the team give up on Scott Skiles + bad draft picks in Thomas and Noah. The Jim Boylan era basically undid three years of work.