TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Week 17

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Mario Williams is an animal. How big is that guy? 6'8" 280? Something like that. Can't believe Houston was criticized for picking him.

Buffalo should played this game in Toronto. I can't believe all weird stuff that ball is doing because of the wind.

Yeah. Both teams are basically going to have to abandon both the pass and the kicking game at this point. They've pretty much already done the former.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh how in the fuck do you let Andre Johnson get wide as fuck open in a cover 2? That's retarded.

Guest Vitamin X
Mario Williams is an animal. How big is that guy? 6'8" 280? Something like that. Can't believe Houston was criticized for picking him.

Me neither, especially when Houston (at the time) seemed like they were doing just fine at running back, and even then, Slaton has made up for them losing Domanick Williams. A great defensive lineman is way more valuable than a great running back- seems you can find at least a lot of the latter at an acceptable quality, provided your offensive line is good enough.

Carolina's pretty much wrapped up the 2 seed and Brees is not coming anywhere near Marino's record for yardage.

Guest Vitamin X

It's pretty incredible that not only has Brees even come close to Marino's record for yardage, but that there's at least 3 quarterbacks in the league who have 4000 yard seasons, and a couple more are within striking distance today of hittting 4000 as well (including Aaron Rodgers, who I believe needs about 170 more yards to hit that mark on the year). The QB's I'm talking about are Brees, Warner, and Cutler (over 4000) and Manning, Rivers, McNabb, and Rodgers are the guys who are within 300 yards of hitting the mark. I'm guessing that since Jim Sorgi is playing in Indy, Manning already hit that mark (he did, he's a little over 4k now from what I'm seeing). Rodgers hitting the 4k mark would be really impressive, since a report came out this week that he needs to have surgery on his throwing shoulder in the offseason, probably related to that injury he suffered back in September- and it would probably explain the reason he's struggled with throwing it deep this year, too.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Roethlisberger being carted off the field with a concussion.

Rut-Roh.

Me neither, especially when Houston (at the time) seemed like they were doing just fine at running back, and even then, Slaton has made up for them losing Domanick Williams. A great defensive lineman is way more valuable than a great running back- seems you can find at least a lot of the latter at an acceptable quality, provided your offensive line is good enough.

Well to be fair it was really a three horse race. A lot of people wanted Vince Young since he had the whole "hometown boy makes good" story and it was already obvious that David Carr was not a starting NFL quarterback. We didn't know that Kubiak had promised McNair to give Carr a shot while stumping for the HC job. Others wanted Reggie Bush because they saw him as a hybrid RB/slot that could break plays all over the place and outrun people to the end zone. We didn't know he was incapable of running between the tackles.

As for Mario, no one knew who he was (not a lot of ACC football down here, and not much of that was NC State football) and when you looked at his sack totals for his last two years of college, something like 2/3rds of them were against the 1AA schools and the Dukes of the world. It looked like we were getting an unknown whose stats came against lesser competition.

He's usually referred to as 6'7", 280. He was up around 290-295 his rookie year because they tried to use him at the DT spot on some plays. Once they stuck him at end full time he lost a few pounds to improve his quickness.

I have no explanation for what's happened to the Bucs this month. Everything to play for at home against a 4 win Oakland team, and they trail at the half. Inexcusable lack of effort or enthusiasm. They lose this one, I never want to see Jon Gruden on the Tampa Bay sideline again.

Rut-Roh.

Hey, so that's why you don't play your starters in a meaningless week 17 game. Good thing they have next week off.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
They lose this one, I never want to see Jon Gruden on the Tampa Bay sideline again.

Trade ya Lovie for him.

Guest Vitamin X
Well to be fair it was really a three horse race. A lot of people wanted Vince Young since he had the whole "hometown boy makes good" story and it was already obvious that David Carr was not a starting NFL quarterback. We didn't know that Kubiak had promised McNair to give Carr a shot while stumping for the HC job. Others wanted Reggie Bush because they saw him as a hybrid RB/slot that could break plays all over the place and outrun people to the end zone. We didn't know he was incapable of running between the tackles.

Seriously? Didn't you guys ever watch a single USC game? There's a reason they had LenDale White splitting so much of the load with Bush there, and that would be it. Bush is panning out to be exactly the sort of NFL back I thought I'd see- great returner, probably the best third down back in the league, but not an every-down guy. It had made perfect sense for New Orleans to take him because Deuce was the main guy there, but not anymore. I guess Pierre Thomas is the guy they have in that position now.

Texans have actually done a pretty fair job drafting overall, just not with the offensive linemen.

Crosby damn near made a 69-yard free kick. Would've been nice to see (and appropriate, considering they're playing Detroit).

Brad Childress' continued infatuation with Tavaris Jackson costs the Vikings 3 points, as he gets stuffed on a 4th and 1 QB draw (yep, they needed one yard and ran Jackson instead of Adrian Peterson), then the Giants go up a short field and get a field goal as time expires.

Between him, Lovie, and the rotating gong show in Detroit, do NFC North teams have some sort of aversion to hiring good coaches?

Guest Vitamin X
Crosby damn near made a 69-yard free kick. Would've been nice to see (and appropriate, considering they're playing Detroit).

Yeah, that's pretty impressive considering it's in late December Lambeau weather, too.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Rut-Roh.

Hey, so that's why you don't play your starters in a meaningless week 17 game. Good thing they have next week off.

Yeah, with a little luck, Ben's brain will shift back into its original position in time for kickoff against the Colts/AFC West Fags.

Guest Vitamin X
Between him, Lovie, and the rotating gong show in Detroit, do NFC North teams have some sort of aversion to hiring good coaches?

I think the Packers are pretty well off with McCarthy (not so much with Sanders as the DC) but that's a pretty valid point. To be fair though, Lovie did take the Bears to the Super Bowl a couple years back and Minnesota hasn't had a good coach since Denny Green.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
"We're going to get back to Bears football in the second half. Running the ball and a stingy defense"

Three and out. Houston ball. 21 yard rec. Andre Johnson, on..wait for it.

Inside slant, right over the middle.

The wind might knock NE out of the playoffs today and Jim Sorgi is tearing the Titans apart it seems.

Come on, Bucs. Please beat Oakland for fucks sake.

Go Raiders. :D

I really want to see the Raiders beat their sister team.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I think the Bears are certainly good enough to go to Houston and win. They need to rattle Rosenfels Schaub early, though. If he gets in a rhythm and mixes up Andre Johnson and screens to Slaton, Chicago will be in a world of shit.

FAIL

If the Raiders win, is this revenge for Super Bowl 37? ;)

Oh you son of a bitch! I really hope the Raiders beat the Bucs now.

Edit: Damnit!