13. Washington

14. New Orleans

15. Houston

16. San Diego

17. NY Jets

18. Chicago

19. Tampa Bay

20. Detriot (from DAL)

A little surprised to see Eric Mangini go (10-6, 4-12, 9-7) but then again, this is a team that fired Herman Edwards after he went 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, and 10-6 with three playoff appearances in four seasons.

I'm curious where Romeo lands... would love to see him back in New England as our DC but doubt that will happen.

I also read that Mike Singletary was announced as the 49ers HC after the game for 2009. :cheers: to Singletary for finally getting a HC position.

I also read that Mike Singletary was announced as the 49ers HC after the game for 2009. :cheers: to Singletary for finally getting a HC position.

Can not be just an interim coach. Can't do it.

I don't see Jack del Rio with a job much longer either. I don't expect Mike Shanahan or Jon Gruden to be fired, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Tom Cable earned a job yesterday.

I don't really care that much about Marinelli getting fired. That was a given even with the clowns in charge. I just want to know who's gonna be calling the shots in regards to signing free agents, drafting players, and hiring coaches this offseason. It's not encouraging that Ford Sr.'s keeping holdovers from the Millen era (actually I think Lewand predates the Millen era but still...) to run the show so I'm hoping that someone else is brought in.

I don't really care that much about Marinelli getting fired. That was a given even with the clowns in charge. I just want to know who's gonna be calling the shots in regards to signing free agents, drafting players, and hiring coaches this offseason. It's not encouraging that Ford Sr.'s keeping holdovers from the Millen era (actually I think Lewand predates the Millen era but still...) to run the show so I'm hoping that someone else is brought in.

Well...

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions Owner and Chairman William Clay Ford announced the following today:

The promotion of Tom Lewand to Team President.

The promotion of Martin Mayhew to General Manager.

Rod Marinelli has been relieved of his duties as Head Coach.

The following assistant coaches will not be retained: Joe Barry (Defensive Coordinator), Mike Barry (Assistant Offensive Line) and Jimmy Lake (Secondary). The contract of Joe Cullen (Defensive Line) will not be renewed.

The team also announced that Jim Colletto has been re-assigned to offensive line coach.

Additionally, Dave Boller (Assistant Director of Pro Personnel) will not be retained.

I'm amazed at how quickly this happened. Mangini kinda got a raw deal with having Favre forced on him (though his level of involvement in attaining him isn't entirely clear) and having to work with coordinators that ranged from decent to utterly incompetent. That being said, I'm glad he's gone and I hope that this is the beginning of a full coaching overhaul.

Turns out Brian Schottenheimer and Bob Sutton got fired too.

I'd go after Cowher, but he's not going to get control over player personnel so I doubt that's happening.

A little surprised to see Eric Mangini go (10-6, 4-12, 9-7) but then again, this is a team that fired Herman Edwards after he went 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, and 10-6 with three playoff appearances in four seasons.

Herman Edwards wasn't fired. He wanted a bigger contract after the 4-12 season or else he'd bolt to KC and the Jets said no.

I don't think that draft order is right. SD has to be out of the Top 20 since they won the division.

OK, I see now that STL has the #2 pick outright and KC has the #3. The NFL must count division teams records twice.

Guest Czecherbear

Only the Super Bowl teams get the last two spots. The playoffs have nothing to do with the order otherwise.

I don't think any coach has ever been loved so much for doing so little as Rod Marinelli. Right out of the gate, everyone loved this guy, and right down to the end, you had broadcasters openly rooting for the Lions to beat the Packers because you just don't want to see this happen to Rod Marinelli. I know he looks and sounds like every American's tough-but-fair high school gym teacher, and he's one of those big "fire and the passion, grr, pound the rock" meatballs, but you just know that if the Raiders were going for 0-16, they'd get everything from mockery to outright rooting against them. Tom Cable doesn't make us proud of football, or something. His "class" was overstated, too. As far as I can tell, a lot of this had to do with how every week, he would take responsibility for Detroit's losses, saying "this one's on me" and stuff like that. From personal experience, apologizing and taking the blame for everything is nice and magnanimous for a while, but pretty soon, it starts to get pretty grating. "This one's my fault, this one's on me" week after week after week stops being "classy defeat" and starts making one wonder what's up. Is it all your fault, or is it just easier to keep saying it's your fault than to say anything constructive? And if it is all your fault, make it stop being your fault. So I think the media lauding him for his pressers was really weak, and the Rob Parker thing really showed how ridiculous everyone had let that particular aspect get. So now my main worry is that his best friend Lovie Smith hires him. I don't care if he makes a good positions coach or defensive coordinator, I just don't want to watch the shitstorm of the Bears hiring the guy who coached the worst team of all time. Or maybe I do. I don't know.

Firing Mangini seems like kind of an odd move, but I suppose the Jets are kind of an odd organization.

Thanks, I didn't know how that works. Personally I think its shitty that the Chargers have the opportunity to play for the Super Bowl, but if they fall short they still pick 4-7 spots higher than New England.

Agree totally about Marinelli. Didn't realize this was a job about good feelings.

Oh I knew about the Mayhew/Lewand thing. I was just hoping that the Lions would bring in a player personnel guy since neither Mayhew nor Lewand have any experience in that department. For all I know, Mayhew could end up being the next great GM, but after arguably the worst 8-year run in professional sports history, it's just not a good message to send to the fans. How about interviewing some qualified candidates first instead of promoting Millen's assistant? When you're 0-16, a full house cleaning should be expected. They're even keeping Jim Colletto (who sucked as OC this year) as O-line coach.

Word on the street is that Gruden's job is safe, which is what I both feared and expected. I'd like to see the Glazers step in and at the very least strip the guy of his playcalling duties, but they've taken a very hands-off approach to this team since acquiring Manchester United a few years ago, so it seems unlikely. One positive is that the team has a lot of room to manuever under the cap, although recent history indicates that we're probably not going to spend any of that money.

Hey, maybe Rod Marinelli will bring a little class back to our D-line. As far as players go, that group shoulders the most blame for the stunning late-season collapse of our defense. Couldn't rush the quarterback, couldn't tackle anyone.

Guest Czecherbear
I wonder if Agent knows there's no such thing as the NFC Central.

I thought he was trying get Tampa Bay back in on the "fun." Then again, I don't know anything.