TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Guest Czecherbear
What's exactly the deal where Parcells can pretty much walk away whenever he wants to and still get paid 12 million? That's a horrible clause to have.

That's what we call the old "You're 1-15 And I'm Bill Parcells So Grab Your Ankles And Suck It Up" clause.

I've been informed (from a completely unreliable nfl draft website) that if the Saints re-sign Jonathan Vilma they forfeit a first round pick to the Jets. Saints fans, is Vilma going to get re-signed?

I maintain that the Giants acquired a draft pick from the Saints that wasn't theirs to trade. The Jets were slated to receive a 4th plus a 3rd or a 2nd depending on how much Vilma played...then they traded a second round pick to the Giants? That's some shady shit.

Guest Czecherbear

Well, it's not as if having it in Hawaii after the Super Bowl makes a lick of sense, either. The NFL doesn't really need an all-star game, to be honest. We see all the stars more than enough over the course of the year, and the really good ones either can't be arsed to play a stupid exhibition game or don't get voted in because of Favre crushes. The NHL can scrap its all-star game too, for all I care. Nobody cares.

What's exactly the deal where Parcells can pretty much walk away whenever he wants to and still get paid 12 million? That's a horrible clause to have.

If Huizenga sells the team, Parcells can walk. The Tuna may be a miserable sonuvabitch, but he's no fool.

So it looks like Cadillac's injury wasn't as bad as initially believed. Recovery period in the 6-8 week area rather than 12-16 month area, so he'll be good to go for camp. I'd feel pretty good with a Cadillac/Earnest Graham/Clifton Smith backfield. Dunn can retire or seek employment elsewhere.

Also, Derrick Brooks says he'll be back next year. Don't let that Pro Bowl nod fool you: the guy is done. He was out of position or flat-out beat almost as often as Ronde Barber this year. I hope someone sits him down and lets him know that it's over, but it's unlikely. The FO might have to do to him what they did to John Lynch a few years ago, although this time the guy will actually deserve it.

And this has been your Buccaneer Moment for December 29th.

And I am thinking that it was Huizenga giving a sweet deal to his buddy Parcells. It doesn't affect him at all.

Although if I were the owner I would offer him 20 million less.

Why are they going to have the Pro Bowl in Miami the week before the Super Bowl next year? That makes absolutely no sense.

Actually....it kinda does. At the very least it gives people some football to watch in that week between the conference title games and the Super Bowl. They could hold it at a major college stadium or somewhere near the Super Bowl site. It also is better on the players since they don't have to wait a few more weeks to trek all the way to Hawaii for a meaningless game. Obviously this would mean that players from the teams that are actually in the Super Bowl probably wouldn't play, but it isn't a bad idea at all.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I wonder if Agent knows there's no such thing as the NFC Central.

I thought he was trying get Tampa Bay back in on the "fun."

Exactly correct. Matt's a friggin' momo for doubting my know-how of NFL Divisionry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Patriots have a tougher schedule next season...

- Jacksonville Jaguars (Home)

- Tennessee Titans (Home)

- Baltimore Ravens (Home)

- Atlanta Falcons (Home)

- Carolina Panthers (Home)

- Houston Texans (Away)

- Indianapolis Colts (Away)

- Denver Broncos (Away)

- New Orleans Saints (Away)

- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Away)

Baltimore, Atlanta, Carolina, Tennessee, and Indianapolis are all playoff teams. I'm really curious to see how Belichick defends against the Saints offense.

Matt Ryan won Offensive ROY with 44 votes, far in front of Titans running back Chris Johnson with three. Broncos tackle Ryan Clady had two and Bears running back Matt Forte got one. I'm sure Marvin will be livid that his boy Flacco didn't even get a single vote.

Matt Ryan won Offensive ROY with 44 votes, far in front of Titans running back Chris Johnson with three. Broncos tackle Ryan Clady had two and Bears running back Matt Forte got one. I'm sure Marvin will be livid that his boy Flacco didn't even get a single vote.

The problem with that would be that someone would have to say that Flacco was better than Ryan at QB, and I don't think you can make that argument, despite what a good season he had. I'm a little surprised it wasn't unanimous.

That "away" game against Tampa is actually a neutral site game in London; home of the brash, outrageous, and free. Nice to see New England finally drawing a difficult schedule, although there's obviously no way of telling what it'll look like once the season actually begins.

So, Jacksonville and Buffalo (twice) are the only under .500 teams the Patriots play next season?

I'd be willing to bet that the Jets and Dolphins will be at or under .500 next year given the tougher schedule...

That "away" game against Tampa is actually a neutral site game in London; home of the brash, outrageous, and free. Nice to see New England finally drawing a difficult schedule, although there's obviously no way of telling what it'll look like once the season actually begins.

Last year the Pats had one of the most difficult schedules and went 18-1...

Last year the Pats had one of the most difficult schedules and went 18-1...

Amazing how short memories are...

2007 Schedule (Notable Opponents in Regular Season)

- San Diego Chargers (11-5)

- Cleveland Browns (10-6)

- Dallas Cowboys (13-3)

- Washington Redskins (9-7)

- Indianapolis Colts (13-3)

- Philadelphia Eagles (8-8)

- Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6)

- New York Giants (10-6)

Combined W/L: 84-44 (65.6%)

So, Jacksonville and Buffalo (twice) are the only under .500 teams the Patriots play next season?

I'd be willing to bet that the Jets and Dolphins will be at or under .500 next year given the tougher schedule...

I meant this year's record though.

2007 Schedule (Notable Opponents in Regular Season)

- San Diego Chargers (11-5)

- Cleveland Browns (10-6)

- Dallas Cowboys (13-3)

- Washington Redskins (9-7)

- Indianapolis Colts (13-3)

- Philadelphia Eagles (8-8)

- Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6)

- New York Giants (10-6)

Combined W/L: 84-44 (65.6%)

They also played the 1-15 Dolphins twice, the 4-12 Jets twice, the 5-11 Ravens the 7-9 Bengals and the 7-9 Bills twice.

Combined W/L: 36-92 (28.1%) or their ENTIRE SOS was against teams that went 120-136 (46.9%). Thanks for playing though.

They also played the 1-15 Dolphins twice, the 4-12 Jets twice, the 5-11 Ravens the 7-9 Bengals and the 7-9 Bills twice.

Combined W/L: 36-92 (28.1%) or their ENTIRE SOS was against teams that went 120-136 (46.9%). Thanks for playing though.

The remark was to Kinetic who stated that the Patriots seemingly hadn't played a tough schedule in a while. Last year, the Patriots played 8 teams with a record of .500 or better and the Bengals/Bills (twice) both finished 1 game shy.

They played 11 games against teams with at least a 7-9 record. That's 69% of their total schedule. 38% of their opponents had at least 10 wins, with Washington at 9.

Kinetic - "Nice to see New England finally drawing a difficult schedule"

You're saying the above schedule wasn't difficult, Naiwf? Sure, they had some easy cream puffs but EVERY team has some of those on their schedule (just look at Pittsburgh this year... Cleveland, Houston, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, San Diego, Washington)

Thanks for playing though.

As an aside... HUGE news!

Adam Schefter

Broncos fire long-time coach Shanahan

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Mike Shanahan

The blockbuster of the coaching season just came in: The Denver Broncos fired Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan had three years and upwards of $20 million remaining on his contract.

Shanahan was the longest tenured coach in Broncos franchise history.

Guest Czecherbear

Mike Martz: fired!

some Bears DBs coach: fired!

Shanny: fired!

Dick Jauron: not fired!