TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Jerod Mayo won the Defensive ROY with 49 of the 50 votes. Keith Rivers got the other vote.

Chad Pennington won Comeback POY for the 2nd time, becoming the first repeat winner. This one was closer than the ROY's as Chad won with 19 votes, next up were Kerry Collins & Jake Delhomme with 6 votes each. Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin & Antonio Bryant had 4 each. Joey Porter had 3, Ronnie Brown, Philip Rivers, Ryan Clark & Willie Anderson all received one vote.

Matt Ryan won Offensive ROY with 44 votes, far in front of Titans running back Chris Johnson with three. Broncos tackle Ryan Clady had two and Bears running back Matt Forte got one. I'm sure Marvin will be livid that his boy Flacco didn't even get a single vote.

Flacco should have gotten at least one vote somewhere but I knew he wasnt winning it. I dont know how you can overlook the fact that Flacco was basically thrown into the role of starter for the last week of preseason and beyond after being the teams 3rd string QB and practicing with the 2nd teamers all the way up to the last week of August due to injuries to Boller and Smith. Ryan knew he was going to be the starter as soon as he was drafted and yet their numbers are pretty similar.

Whatever..

And about the Ravens schedule, I can see them going at least 11-5 again next year, maybe 12-4. Denver, KC, Chicago and Detroit at home are wins out of Division (along with Cincy and Cleveland) and Oakland, Green Bay and Minnesota on the Road are all wins out of division (along with Cincy and Cleveland). The game with SD is up in the air to me right now, and the 2 games vs Pittsburgh, Indy and NE I'll go ahead and consider losses at the worst. and here I was worried they'd get hosed next year on the schedule next year but they're playing the AFC West and the NFC North..

On the never ending (in your mind) Flacco/Ryan debate, I don't have their numbers in front of me but I don't think it was close. Also, this season is not even over and you're already dissecting next season's record? We don't know what the teams will add and subtract via draft and free agency yet.

Flacco 2971 yds 14 td /12 int 60% completion + 180 yards rushing 2 rush TD 80.3 QB rating

Ryan 3440 yds 16 td / 11 int 61% completion 104 yards rushing 1 rush td 87.7 QB rating

My biggest knock on Flacco was he was sacked 32 times, but he's as big as my boyfriend and can take the hits so its not THAT bad but its still something hes going to have to work on as it wasnt a result of the Ravens O line.

As for the schedule, you cant tell me that you see KC, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland and Green Bay on the schedule and not think that the Ravens can't beat them no matter what they do in the offseason, not to mention games vs the doormats of the AFC North, which is 9 wins right there. The other games vs SD, Denver and Minnesota I might have been a bit hasty in predicting but still..

That's flawed logic, Marvin. You're projecting next year's results based on this year's teams, which is impossible to do with today's NFL. Jerry Jones lobbied to schedule the team you're so slavishly devoted to as Dallas's last opponent at Texas Stadium because he assumed they would be as bad as last year. They were not. Kansas City and Cleveland could be next year's Atlanta and Miami, for all we know.

That's flawed logic, Marvin. You're projecting next year's results based on this year's teams, which is impossible to do with today's NFL. Jerry Jones lobbied to schedule the team you're so slavishly devoted to as Dallas's last opponent at Texas Stadium because he assumed they would be as bad as last year. They were not. Kansas City and Cleveland could be next year's Atlanta and Miami, for all we know.

At least you didnt try and make the case that Detroit would go 12-4 and make the playoffs. Of all the teams the Ravens play next year that I listed, I think Green Bay is the only team thats got a a realistic chance of being a big improvement next year over this year unless something really crazy happens in the offseason. Detroit, KC, Chicago and Oakland are all guaranteed wins for the Ravens no matter what happens in the offseason. Everything else I'll throw back to the up in the air/who knows category.

Guest Czecherbear

There's no such thing as a guaranteed win in the NFL, Marvin. It's dangerous to guarantee a win a week in advance, to say nothing of a year in advance.

Guest Vitamin X

Not to mention that Green Bay and Chicago are anything BUT "easy wins" for the Baltimore fucking Ravens. Chicago is a few pieces on offense (and a coaching change, probably) away from contending again, and Green Bay is likely going to upgrade on defense with a top ten pick in the draft and plenty of cap room. The Ravens are far from a superior team to the Packers; at best, they're matched evenly and it's safe to say Baltimore didn't have to deal with an offense worth a crap this season- and each time they did (Indy, Dallas, Giants) they gave up over 20 points. Only really impressive defensive showing they've had was against Houston and Philly (in that one game where McNabb was benched too), maybe Pittsburgh.

Chad Pennington won Comeback POY for the 2nd time, becoming the first repeat winner. This one was closer than the ROY's as Chad won with 19 votes, next up were Kerry Collins & Jake Delhomme with 6 votes each. Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin & Antonio Bryant had 4 each. Joey Porter had 3, Ronnie Brown, Philip Rivers, Ryan Clark & Willie Anderson all received one vote.

Those who voted for Warner must have missed when he was tearing up the league in the second half of last season. He had 27 TDs last year in 11 starts and 3 split games with Leinart.

My vote would have been for Collins. The guy's career was basically over after Vince Young won the starters job a couple of years ago.

No arguing with the rookies. Both guys were virtual locks.

Not to mention that Green Bay and Chicago are anything BUT "easy wins" for the Baltimore fucking Ravens. Chicago is a few pieces on offense (and a coaching change, probably) away from contending again, and Green Bay is likely going to upgrade on defense with a top ten pick in the draft and plenty of cap room. The Ravens are far from a superior team to the Packers; at best, they're matched evenly and it's safe to say Baltimore didn't have to deal with an offense worth a crap this season- and each time they did (Indy, Dallas, Giants) they gave up over 20 points. Only really impressive defensive showing they've had was against Houston and Philly (in that one game where McNabb was benched too), maybe Pittsburgh.

They held the Titans to 13 points. They only really had 2 bad defensive games..the worst being vs the Giants and the other vs the Colts which was primarily the result of McCalister being hurt and not having Rolle at CB and having to use Frank Walker and Corey Ivy. The Dallas game was the result of playing prevent defense late up 2 scores, they held Romo in check for 3 quarters.

Im not going to sit here and say that the Ravens defense is as good as it was in 2000..hell its not even as good as it was in 2006 when they won the AFC North. But its still one of the best in the league.

Chicago's few pieces on offense includes a new QB and a couple of WRs. Good luck doing anything with Orton or Grossman as your QBs.

Winning Comeback Player of the Year twice is kind of funny. Pennington might be the best player never named to a Pro Bowl.

London "Susan Lucci" Fletcher says hello.

Green Bay was a pretty decent team THIS year, just lost a lot of close games. I wouldn't write them on the win column for next year just yet. I wouldn't have even written them on the win column this year to be honest.

Guest Czecherbear

You have signature flags for the Ravens, Buccaneers, and Jets? That's pretty obnox.

Chicago's few pieces on offense includes a new QB and a couple of WRs. Good luck doing anything with Orton or Grossman as your QBs.

I still contend Orton could be a decent QB if given a proper coach or even just a decent OC. He threw for 2,972 yards with 18 TD vs. 12 INT and was only sacked 27 times. His big issue is fumbling (6) and the lack of a wide open offense that doesn't think it's still in the mid 80's where they can get by with running the ball 35-40 times a game and playing a conservatively "safe" passing game.

The games that Orton threw 30+ times (9 Games): 196/320 (61.3%), 2154 yards, and 14 TD vs. 7 INT.

As for the wide receivers, they really need a go to possession guy but they have some decent depth. Devin Hester, despite the arguments against him, averaged 13.0 a catch and should improve with more experience under his belt (Manning seems to be doing fine as the returner). Rashied Davis and Brandon Lloyd both seem like solid #3 and #4 receivers for depth as Davis averaged 12.7 YPC and Lloyd a surprising 14.0 on only 26 catches.

Having 3-4 dependable receivers (see a Gaffney in NE or Nate Washington in Pittsburgh) can make an offense even deadlier and the Bears have a 2, 3, and 4. Just need a #1 threat.

Ideally the Bears Offense would do the following...

#1: Get an offensive line that can run block as well as they seem to pass block.

#2: Get a "beast" at Wide Receiver to take over the 1 spot. Jerry Angelo's killing them here...

#3: Get an OC who will open the playbook and challenge Orton to throw downfield a bit. When your RB leads the team with 63 catches despite a paltry 7.6 YPR, something's wrong. If need be, ditch Kevin Jones (and Adrian Peterson) and use Garrett Wolfe as your screen receiving back ala Darren Sproles in San Diego. He had a 13.0 YPR last year despite only 9 catches.

Guest Czecherbear

Actually, Harley, offensive coordinator wasn't really a weakness for the Bears this year. Orton doesn't pass deep because his arm isn't that strong and his receivers are shitty. It's not for lack of creative playcalling; he's just in all reality destined to be a backup quarterback. Garrett Wolfe is not Darren Sproles; he's a nice special teams player and third-string running back. Rashied Davis and Brandon Lloyd really aren't reliable options. If assembling an offensive line that can run-block were as easy as saying "I want an offensive line that can run-block," Angelo would've done it by now. The problems with the Bears are bigger than Ron Turner: the coaches are stubborn and the players are aging, which leads to an overreliance on a Cover 2 scheme they can't keep up with, Devin Hester went from the best returner in football to the worst, and they annually waste top draft picks on players that end up out of town or out of the league entirely. Trust me, it's not the offensive coordinator. It's everything but. I don't care what Rashied Davis's YPC average is; I've watched the team weekly and the guy should be working in retail again. I'm inundated with the problems of the Chicago Bears on a daily basis. Stick to recapping the scores of Southeastern Wyoming State vs. Our Lady of Anal Cysts for an audience of zero.

Uhm...did Slaton not get any votes for Rookie of the Year?

No.

EDIT: Huh, no he didn't. But then again, Forte and Johnson got the majority of the media attention this season.

Kurt Warner got the same number of votes for Comeback Player of the Year as Antonio Bryant? Didn't Warner throw for almost 3,500 yards and 27 TDs last year?

In other NFL Awards news Victoria's Secret named Mike Tomlin the NFL's sexiest coach for the second year in a row. It was a close battle, but he just edged out Andy Reid.

Any thoughts on who the Lions should take #1? I know it's really early in the whole draft process, but it appears that Matt Stafford is the favorite to go to the Lions at #1 with Andre Smith and Sam Bradford (although I don't see him coming out) as the next likeliest candidates. I know many will point to Atlanta and Matt Ryan, but this is a completely different situation. The Lions have an O-line that's given up around 50 sacks the past few years and (unlike say, Pittsburgh) doesn't run block well enough to make up for it. The defense was historically bad this season. Plus, I'm not completely sold on Stafford or Bradford. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions take a left tackle first and use most of the remaining picks on defense. This thing is gonna take awhile to fix.

Actually, Harley, offensive coordinator wasn't really a weakness for the Bears this year. Orton doesn't pass deep because his arm isn't that strong and his receivers are shitty. It's not for lack of creative playcalling; he's just in all reality destined to be a backup quarterback. Garrett Wolfe is not Darren Sproles; he's a nice special teams player and third-string running back. Rashied Davis and Brandon Lloyd really aren't reliable options. If assembling an offensive line that can run-block were as easy as saying "I want an offensive line that can run-block," Angelo would've done it by now. The problems with the Bears are bigger than Ron Turner: the coaches are stubborn and the players are aging, which leads to an overreliance on a Cover 2 scheme they can't keep up with, Devin Hester went from the best returner in football to the worst, and they annually waste top draft picks on players that end up out of town or out of the league entirely. Trust me, it's not the offensive coordinator. It's everything but. I don't care what Rashied Davis's YPC average is; I've watched the team weekly and the guy should be working in retail again. I'm inundated with the problems of the Chicago Bears on a daily basis. Stick to recapping the scores of Southeastern Wyoming State vs. Our Lady of Anal Cysts for an audience of zero.

Fair enough as I don't follow the Bears and trust your judgment on the team. You say that he's "destined to be a backup quarterback" and maybe it's seeing every snap, but it seems that everybody wants Orton out. He played up and down in the few games I caught (Atlanta, Minnesota Game 1, New Orleans, and Green Bay).

He seems like he can keep the Bears in a game and is an enigma in that he can win you one or lose you one any given game but he's not that dissimilar from Rex Grossman (less arm strength, fewer mistakes). Why the general dislike from Bears fans/Jerry Angelo?

Guest Czecherbear

The dislike for Orton is relatively new. It's only been the last few games that he's stunk up the joint, and all of a sudden Angelo came out of nowhere saying that Orton sucks and we need a new quarterback. Okay yeah maybe, but the wide receivers are the problems, not Orton.

Any thoughts on who the Lions should take #1? I know it's really early in the whole draft process, but it appears that Matt Stafford is the favorite to go to the Lions at #1 with Andre Smith and Sam Bradford (although I don't see him coming out) as the next likeliest candidates. I know many will point to Atlanta and Matt Ryan, but this is a completely different situation. The Lions have an O-line that's given up around 50 sacks the past few years and (unlike say, Pittsburgh) doesn't run block well enough to make up for it. The defense was historically bad this season. Plus, I'm not completely sold on Stafford or Bradford. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions take a left tackle first and use most of the remaining picks on defense. This thing is gonna take awhile to fix.

I think they should trade it for a veteran player and multiple lower round picks. If they do take someone, anyone but Stafford or Crabtree.

So what's the word on who Cleveland will get for their new head coach? Any truth to the Cowher rumors? Are we going to get Mangini? What about the recently fired Mike Shanahan? Either way, I Just hope we get a solid coach that can help us win football games consistently. I really want Cowher though.

So what's the word on who Cleveland will get for their new head coach? Any truth to the Cowher rumors? Are we going to get Mangini? What about the recently fired Mike Shanahan? Either way, I Just hope we get a solid coach that can help us win football games consistently. I really want Cowher though.

Cowher's on the record as saying he's not going to Cleveland, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

All indications remain Cowher doesn't want to coach anymore right now. The guy is happy with his family and CBS. I still believe he's waiting for a job closer to his family to come open. Which won't be for a long long while.

Last I heard Mangini was among those set to be interviewed by the Browns but they can't hire anyone without interviewing some minority candidates. If they do, the NFL will tear them a new asshole and reach through the new hole and take away the draft picks more than likely. The season isn't even over yet so I don't think there is a massive rush to get new coaches. It's all about who is on the wish list and then weeding them down.

Why don't the Lions make a play for Cassel? They can either throw the money at a rookie who might go super bust or a guy who now has a year of experience under his belt. Deep ball accuracy with him is a question but mobility isn't. For a guy starting his first year in forever, he looked pretty damn good. Then they can trade out of one or get a lineman/defensive player with the pick. Plus has Bradford announced he's even coming out yet? I know he filed paperwork to get checked out and leaving with your line would be the way to go but he hasn't said he would yet.

Well, Detroit could try and sign a free agent QB like Matt Cassell(if NE doesn't keep him, obviously) and use their two first round picks on a tackle(that guy they got from BC last year sucks ass, so move him to RT, make him a guard, or just cut his ass) and a guard, then use the rest on defense and maybe a decent TE. Going receiver with the first pick would be a mistake and there really isn't a stand-out QB that doesn't have some issues(including the undeclared juniors).

I'd target the D-Line and O-Line. People forget that while Atlanta took Ryan, they also traded up into the 1st round again to take OT Sam Baker.

I'd probably take DE Brian Orakpo (6'4", 260 with a reported 4.75 40) at #1 overall and then trade the 2.01 to move up into the 1st and aim for OT Phil Loadholt (Oklahoma 6'8" 337) or OT Alex Boone (Ohio State 6'8" 312).

- Alex Boone (from Ohio State Bio): tremendously talented veteran player who possesses the physical tools to be a standout ... can play either tackle spot, but has settled into the left side for the Buckeyes ... big, strong, aggressive and smart ... effective as a pass protector because of his combination of deft footwork and balance ... studies the game intently.

Harley, the Lions already have 2 first-rounders, so there's no need to trade up. Also, I've never seen Boone projected as much more than a mid-2nd guy, so that might be a reach there. Ciron Black from LSU would be a better choice if he's still available.