TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL - January 2009

I think Hickey sucks. In Canada's only two tough games, he's been terrible. Teubert hasn't been anything special, but I understand that international officiating hinders what he does best.

But Vyacheslav Voinov, there's a player right there.

Thomas Hickey is most likely going to be traded to some other team. Tuebert is going to get a good shut down d-man after some time in the AHL. You guys have Drew Doughty. The guy will win a Norris trophy in the next five years.

I really need to learn about prospects. I am familiar with the names of Manchester Monarchs players due to a few call ups /send downs and the roster in NHL 09. Also, Zatkoff played for Ontario before Quick was called up, so I've seen him in person. But otherwise, I know jack shit.

Predictable win for Canada in the World Junior Tournament. I still have one hockey game on my DVR- the Winter Classic. Despite knowing the results and people saying it was horrible for the last 2 periods, I still feel compelled to watch it. Not sure when I will since the Kings are on (and in HD, for the first time since I got my HD DVR!) Tuesday and Thursday.

Thomas Hickey is most likely going to be traded to some other team. Tuebert is going to get a good shut down d-man after some time in the AHL. You guys have Drew Doughty. The guy will win a Norris trophy in the next five years.

no he's not.

hickey actually played pretty good in the gold medal game except for one shift when he couldn't clear the zone TWICE on the swedish powerplay. unless i've read wrong, the kings are pretty high on hickey. they'd have to get a comparable offensive prospect in return.

i wonder if doughty is going to make the all-star team this year. who else would be the kings representative?

Andrew Peters just got a penalty for...and I shit you not...GETTING BIT ON THE HAND BY AN OTTAWA SENATOR.

He got 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct...and he was the one who got bit. Other than the usual pushing and shoving he did nothing but get his hand chomped. Then skate off the ice to get the trainers. The Senators got no penalty.

I love NHL officiating.

McCabe is getting booed out of the building in Toronto. I don't know, I don't think he deserves this much hate. For some reason, I'm getting the Panthers feed. I didn't know their games were on TV!

Wow, the refs just overturned a Panthers goal. I won't complain, but that was kind of suspicious.

Sundin makes his debut tomorrow.

I think I figured out what happened with Peters. He got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for the very loud swearing he was doing after Ruutu bit his finger. It couldn't be anything else...so that's what they went with. What a joke.

Even by his standard Datsyuk has been amazing the last month. First that deke on Saturday and a highlight reel assist tonight to break Zetterberg's goal scoring drought. Conklin made some impressive saves including absolute robbery on Peca.

Kings at Ducks was pretty uneventful in the first period, save for that Anaheim goal 7 seconds into their power play. Otherwise, very few shots were taken by either team. Regardless, it's great to be able to watch my team in HD now rather than random NHL Network games. Tonight's game is in HD on the Ducks' channel and Thursday is on the Kings' affiliate.

The Kings are going on a minute and a half long 2 man advantage once the second period starts. Jonas Hiller is in goal for Anaheim, and he gave up 6 goals to the Kings early on in the season. Ersberg is back for the Kings.

Oh, and my friend uploaded the pics from Saturday's game. I'll be posting them soon.

Andrew Peters just got a penalty for...and I shit you not...GETTING BIT ON THE HAND BY AN OTTAWA SENATOR.

He got 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct...and he was the one who got bit. Other than the usual pushing and shoving he did nothing but get his hand chomped. Then skate off the ice to get the trainers. The Senators got no penalty.

I love NHL officiating.

What!? The showed the highlight during first intermission on TSN, but said no penalties. That's effing hilarious.

Alright, it's been on my mind all day, and it just came up on HHT now: Who's the next coach to be fired? Hartsburg? Therrien? Anderson? Tippett?

My money's on Anderson. Kovalchuk looks bored and is on pace for 26, his lowest total ever (even three fewer than his rookier year, when he only played 65ish...and had Heatley with him!). They could have (or should have) easily taken one of the two recent tilts with the slumping Bolts or Pens, both of whom were playing 3 in 4. When Kovalchuk gets traded March 3, the Thrashers franchise has to be in serious trouble, but that opens up the possibility of another Southern Team debate, so I'll move on.

The media are all over Therrien, but the Pens' losing streak did include two to the class of the East in Beantown, and one to a Rangers team with whom they've historically struggled. Malkin still leads the league in scoring, and Crosby's workin' hard despite his dry spell on the scoresheet. I think he'll be okay.

Hartsburg can't have much left either, but you all knew that. I really hope we get more Bryan Murray on air because of this.

I love Drew Doughty, but I wanted to throw something at him tonight. Both Ducks goals (not counting the empty netter) in the Kings' 3-1 loss came on power plays after Doughty got called for penalties. Grr.On the bright side, Ersberg looks like he hasn't missed a beat and the 2 goals he gave up were on Anaheim power plays.

I keep forgetting to ask- does anyone follow the ECHL (I know Smues does)? A few days before Christmas, the Fresno Falcons- who were in first place in their division- folded, giving my Ontario Reign first place. I thought it was amusing that the first place team with their Carl's Jr. sponsorship folded due to attracting only 500 fans per game, while Ontario draws around 6,000 per.

Finally, here are the pics from the Kings/Flyers game. I suck at using my friend's camera, so there's some blurriness:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...albumId=1761291

Guest Czecherbear

Wayne Gretzky has been crying about getting revenge since the Hawks beat them 7-1 last month. So the Hawks hang 6 on them tonight, and then Fedoruk railroads Huet to start a big scrum accomplishing nothing. Also, Ed Jovanovski got busted open, so that was pretty cool. What a bitch team.

Kris Versteeg had another goal, and I think he leads rookies in goals and points now, but he's not going to be rookie of the year. First of all, it's unlikely he maintains those leads, which he would need, and convincing leads at that. Second of all, he's not a true juniors-->NHL rookie, having bounced around Providence and Rockford before catching on with the Blackhawks. Third, related to second, I don't think he's really viewed as future hockey royalty the way other recent Calder winners--Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane--are, rather just an overachieving late bloomer. Fourth, they're not going to give it to the Blackhawks twice.

Tied for goals with 16; A lead of eight points at 33 - in the latter category, he's trailed by Patrik Berglund, who won't catch him, and Derrick Brassard, who can't catch him.

So who gets it? Is Wheeler the consensus at this point? He'll be easy to vote for, but by the same token, so would Versteeg. They're both pretty similar stories - lunchpail type-a-guys on a pleasantly-surprising, fun-to-watch team.

Edit: Mason's a rookie rookie? Discussion over.

Double edit: That was quick, Czech.

I think I figured out what happened with Peters. He got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for the very loud swearing he was doing after Ruutu bit his finger. It couldn't be anything else...so that's what they went with. What a joke.

Or it could have been the fact that he tried to gouge Ruutu's eye out beforehand. Not that I care what happens to that piece of shit anyway after he tried to beat up our goalie 2 years ago. He should get penalties for just stepping onto the ice.

Western Conference Reserves...

Red Wings: Lidstrom, Datsyuk

Oilers: Sheldon Souray

Predators: Shea Weber

Sharks: Dan Boyle, Joe Thornton

Flames: Jarome Iginla

Avalanche: Milan Hejduk

Blue Jackets: Rick Nash

Stars: Mike Modano

Kings: Dustin Brown

Coyotes: Shane Doan

Blues: Keith Tkachuk

Wild: Nik Backstrom

Canucks: Roberto Luongo

They're still taking players from every team.

Remember kiddies, Montreal at the Rangers on NHL Network at 7:30 Eastern/4:30 Pacific!

Who's forgetting that? I certainly haven't. TSN has a crew there as well - no Centre Ice package for me at the moment, so I'll take all the English broadcasts of the Habs I can get.

Alright, it's been on my mind all day, and it just came up on HHT now: Who's the next coach to be fired? Hartsburg? Therrien? Anderson? Tippett?

Therrien will get a pass due to the injuries his team has. They're essentially without their normal defense. For the most part, I think they're happy to be where they are at right now, all things considered.

Tippett's situation baffles me. I have to think that it's the players more than him, because he had a fine season last year and they were only a few good games away from the Cup with a tired team. I think he'll get some leeway, but he needs to figure out what the hell is wrong.

If you fire Anderson... who do you take? Who is really going to make it better? Not to say he won't, but I'm not sure there is much of a point to it.

I feel the same about Hartsburg, though I think he certainly has more of a team to work with. Considering the market, he's probably on the hotseat more than anyone.

Hartsburg has to be safe. If anyone should be fired there it's Murray. He's the one constant. And I don't think their owner would be too keen on paying Paddock AND Hartsburg AND and new coach.

Remember kiddies, Montreal at the Rangers on NHL Network at 7:30 Eastern/4:30 Pacific!

Who's forgetting that? I certainly haven't. TSN has a crew there as well - no Centre Ice package for me at the moment, so I'll take all the English broadcasts of the Habs I can get.

NHL Network uses the TSN crew. Just wanted to point that out....

Yeah. All the World Junior games, and obviously HNIC, are branded with the TSN logo. But to answer your question, Twiggs, anyone (at least in America) who's not a Rangersfan, Habs fan, or someone who watches the NHL Network often would likely not know about the broadcast.

My money's on Anderson. Kovalchuk looks bored and is on pace for 26, his lowest total ever (even three fewer than his rookier year, when he only played 65ish...and had Heatley with him!). They could have (or should have) easily taken one of the two recent tilts with the slumping Bolts or Pens, both of whom were playing 3 in 4. When Kovalchuk gets traded March 3, the Thrashers franchise has to be in serious trouble, but that opens up the possibility of another Southern Team debate, so I'll move on.

The media are all over Therrien, but the Pens' losing streak did include two to the class of the East in Beantown, and one to a Rangers team with whom they've historically struggled. Malkin still leads the league in scoring, and Crosby's workin' hard despite his dry spell on the scoresheet. I think he'll be okay.

Hartsburg can't have much left either, but you all knew that. I really hope we get more Bryan Murray on air because of this.

As one of the few Thrashers fans, I'm hoping that they will fire the GM. The team has completely crapped out since the end of the 07 season, and Waddell has put together a horrific roster.

Or it could have been the fact that he tried to gouge Ruutu's eye out beforehand. Not that I care what happens to that piece of shit anyway after he tried to beat up our goalie 2 years ago. He should get penalties for just stepping onto the ice.

Well that was Ruutu's story. The league disagreed and suspended him for 2 games.

Yeah. All the World Junior games, and obviously HNIC, are branded with the TSN logo. But to answer your question, Twiggs, anyone (at least in America) who's not a Rangersfan, Habs fan, or someone who watches the NHL Network often would likely not know about the broadcast.

Obviously.

Peters is the one who did the mock golf swing at the Leafs a few years ago, right? Fuck him.

Hartsburg will go by the end of the week. My guess would be after they lose to Boston, so...Friday morning.