TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2009: The Year in Music

Just like last year - I suppose.

What are you looking forward to?

Tonight: Franz Ferdinand is the only major release on my radar screen, as of now. And hopefully the new U2 CD in March won't suck like the last one.

Kamelot is supposed to be releasing a new album at some point this year, so count me in on that. Nightwish also has a new live album, and Leave's Eyes is FINALLY releasing their Double DVD/Double CD live set that they've been working on for close to 3 years.

P4k creamed themselves over the new Animal Collective today, which is not the least bit surprising.

What did stick out to me in the review, though, is that they called it their "pop" album, which means this might have a chance at being the first Animal Collective I've heard that I will actually enjoy. I don't know.

I don't think anybody else here is fan except me and maybe Czech but Fountains of Wayne have a new album coming out this Summer I believe. They're previewing new songs from it on they're upcoming acoustic tour. Those guys haven't let me down yet so I'll definitely be picking up that one.

In other bands that only Kamala seems to like news, Guster has an album coming out this year as well.

I don't think anybody else here is fan except me and maybe Czech but Fountains of Wayne have a new album coming out this Summer I believe. They're previewing new songs from it on they're upcoming acoustic tour. Those guys haven't let me down yet so I'll definitely be picking up that one.

Ya know, I lost both of my Fountains of Wayne CDs in the post office disaster I described further down the board. While I never really liked Utopia Parkway, their debut was the soundtrack to various portions of my 1997. I was fifteen. It was a very good year. Sad to lose that one.

I don't really "get" Animal Collective. I sort of enjoyed some parts of their last album (can't remember what it's called, and everything in my record collection beginning with the letter 'A' is long gone, goddamn you USPS!!!) but their hype and following seems to be pretty disproportionate to the quality of their music. That Panda Bear thing that Pitchfork had as their #1 album in '07 was, I thought, a fucking waste of time.

The forthcoming Cannibal Corpse sounds like it'll be promising, especially hot off the heels of Kill. They've got a decent amount to live up to.

And I wonder if Municipal Waste will write and release another one before the end of '09. Or even Short Sharp Shock, for that matter.

EDIT: Thanks to this, I got me a set of release dates for bands I actually like. Some are tentative, others are actually pretty set in stone. I'm happy. :D

i see animal collective is like the electronic/alternative (for lack of better term) equivalent of coltrane. you either like the quest/search/voyage or you hate it. sometimes its noise. sometimes its focused. i respect that. i've warmed up to them much more lately, but they're hardly one of my current favorites. well, maybe. i remember this quote from wayne coyne where they asked him what instrument he played, and he responded "the recording studio". thats how i see this.

Guest Czecherbear

I like a couple of Animal Collective songs but I don't really listen to them anymore.

FoW: whaaatever. Welcome Interstate Managers wasn't all that great, so I don't really have any interest in this. The s/t and Utopia Parkway, though, those are treasures.

Guster: I might check it out but they're trending downward too. Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever are really good autumn/spring albums, however. I've been a fan of those for years now. Five of them!

Czech, you haven't checked out Traffic and Weather? Did it fly that under the radar for you not to notice or did you just not bother. It's not up to par with the first two albums but I thought it was quite a bit better than Welcome Interstate Managers (which I also enjoyed). I wouldn't say they've gone downhill since their first two albums but they've kind of flat lined, for lack of a better term. They aren't going to switch the formula and I can see how it can get tiresome to some. It works for me though, I always manage to find four or five songs on each album that I really like and that's good enough for me.

Guster's next album is going to be an interesting one. I think they're stuck in limbo right now. Again, I liked their last album better than Keep It Together (which seemed to be trying a tad bit too hard to get radio play) but it's kind of schizophrenic. What are they trying to do? Indie rock? Top 40? Powerpop? Personally, I'm hoping they go back to basics but I think it's too late to turn back now. In retrospect, I think they should have stayed a trio. MINOR BRUSH WITH FAME ALERT. I interviewed their lead singer shortly after the release of the last album for my college paper. It was a pretty big coup as Guster plays arenas here in Maine for some reason.

Guest Czecherbear

Wasn't Guster on Ice recorded in Maine? They probably play big venues because they're a Boston band. I wonder if douchebags in green pre-faded low-profile Sawx hats rock out to "Airport Song" and "Barrel of a Gun" as hard as I do. I sure hope not.

Yep, Guster On Ice was recorded over two shows at the late, lamented State Theatre in beautiful Downtown Portland. For whatever reason, I didn't jump the gun fast enough to get tickets and I didn't go to either.

And I regret to inform you that there are a lot of those douchebag bros rocking out at Guster shows. Oddly enough, the biggest drove of them I've seen was not at any of the Guster shows I saw in Boston but one I saw here in Portland. The bros were out in full force and they weren't taken to kindly to Rouge Wave (WHO THE FACK ARE THESE GUYS?) or Ray Lamontagne (HAHA LOOKS LIKE A FRIGGING BUM!) that night. One semi-juicy tidbit I got in my interview with Ryan Miller was that they didn't get along all that with Ray Lamontagne. But knowing Lamontagne a bit thirdhand through him getting his start on the local scene, that guy doesn't really get along with anyone

In addition to Animal Collective, i'm looking forward to:

Neko Case

Antony and the Johnsons

Matthew Good

Patrick Wolf

Sunset Rubdown

Jimmy Eat World

The Decemberists

Metric, sorta

And possibly new stuff from Radiohead, Sufjan (he's not going to finish the 50 States project at this pace), Arcade Fire, and I suppose some BSS members will bring something out

Looking forward to the new Zombi and Amesoeurs. Also looking forward to the new Depeche Mode and the new Antony and the Johnsons. I'm iffy on Blueprint 3.

Eminem's is what I'm looking forward to, though I hear there is suppose to be some Bowling for Soup and Linkin Park released that I'll be sure to check out

Deep down I know I'm only setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm pretty amped for The Blueprint 3.

This is really happening? Wasn't the second one supposed to be vastly inferior?

It was, as were both of Jay-Z's post-Black Album albums. I don't expect much out of him anymore.

Speaking of Jay, he's coming to DC for a show at the 2200-seat Warner Theatre. Tickets are only $375 to $1000!

I dunno, the American Gangster soundtrack was pretty good.

No arguing that Kingdom Come was absolute dogshit, though.

I'm only looking forward to it because recently he seems to have regained some of his old form. Especially on this "Go Hard" remix, which he pretty much straight up murders

On dark nights it's like I see better

On dark nights I'm like Heath Ledger

Even if I overdose on drugs

Motherfuckers can't kill my buzz

DJ KHALED WE THE BEST WHO WE NIGGA WE THE BEST

I like most of DJ Khaled's songs that I've heard but I wish he didn't feel the need to yell this stupid shit out at the beginning of every one. Or appear in videos.

DJ KHALED WE THE BEST WHO WE NIGGA WE THE BEST

I like most of DJ Khaled's songs that I've heard but I wish he didn't feel the need to yell this stupid shit out at the beginning of every one. Or appear in videos.

That music video never fails to crack me up. Now if only I knew what they were the best at. Also, seconding the American Gangster love. That's my third favorite Jay-Z album.

DJ Drama should be the only mixtape DJ aloud to shout all over songs.

DJ DRAMA THE IPOD KING *gunshots* SHOUT OUTS TO THE APHILIATES NIGGA *plays first 20 seconds of song* *rewinds four times* GANGSTA GRILLZ YOU BASTARDS *gunshots*