TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL PLAYOFFS

I am also a bit perturbed that the Titans are ALWAYS the underdog or the team most likely to lose at home when they are consistently winning the big games and have had the best record all year. What more do people want to have proven to them?

That said, Ravens by 8.

The Titans are favored against the Ravens. The problem with the Titans is that they have no star power, and they dropped some games they shouldn't have. But yes, they do win the big games, and I think if they beat the Ravens, they'll probably win it all.

Baltimore 13-10 over Tennessee. Same score as before, but this time the Ravens are just a tad more manly and get some sort of turnover to win it. It'll be ugly and brutal, but would anyone want it another way?

San Diego over Pittsburgh 28-27. Since I've been pondering this exact scenario I'll go ahead and predict it. I haven't been sold on the Steelers all year, their offensive line is mediocre and Roethlisberger seems destined to throw a costly INT here. This would set up the nightmare scenario of all time for the NFL: An 8-8 team with home field in the AFC title game.

Carolina 35, Arizona 17. This is the closest to a no brainer in the playoffs. I wish Atlanta had won to give us an actually interesting game, but the Cardinals got the 1 win they could actually get, and now it's time to get beat down and go home.

Philadelphia 31, New York 24. I hope I'm wrong about this because the Eagles largely bore me, but the Giants haven't been right since the Plaxico mess and they just seem like the sort of team that will blow it in this situation. Eagles will play decent D, McNabb and Westbrook will come through, Andy Reid will keep running the ball, etc.

Titans 21-13 – This one will probably be pretty close. I could see the Titans making it a long day for Flacco.

SD 24-17 – I can’t stand the Steelers and I also can’t stand the Chargers. Seeing either one of these teams advance pains me, but the way the Chargers are playing it would seem that they are the hot pick. I’d expect another big day from Sproles who continues to impress me quite a bit.

Panthers 35-14 – It seemed like the Falcons totally died after the turnover in 3rd quarter. I don’t expect that the Panthers would be so easily derailed. Anyway the Cardinals are exposed in this one as another team that just didn’t belong.

NJG 28-24 – I’ll hand it the Giants; ever since 2/3/08 they’ve been impressive as hell despite the injuries and losses they faced to their D-Line. As nice as it would be to see them lose I think the old Donovan shows up and allows Jersey to win.

Ravens

Steelers

Eagles

Panthers

Reasoning to follow...

Ravens over the Titans in a low scoring affair. The Titans have a pretty good running game, but the Ravens should hold them in check in that area. That leaves the passing game to carry Tennessee, which leads to turnovers and allows Baltimore to dominate the field position.

The Steelers and Chargers should be a higher-scoring affair, unless the weather is monstrous in Pittsburgh. I think the Chargers won't be able to score enough to get the duke, even though I don't think "high octane offense" when I think of the Steelers.

The Eagles are firing on all cylinders right now, and Brian Westbrook makes the Giants have a bad day in this game. The absence of Burress has hurt the team in my opinion. The jump ball is no longer there in the endzone, and double coverage seems rarer with him off the field. The running game is stupendous and Jacobs is rested. However, I see them not being able to overcome a couple of turnovers and come from behind without Plaxico.

The Panthers amazed me all season, and the Cardinals have been slumping lately. Maybe the offense kicks back into high gear, but chances are they will be chasing Deangelo Williams all over the field, and relying on the long ball too often.

Why does everyone think the lack of Plaxico is THAT big a deal? I understand they struggled in losses to Dallas and Philly, but again Jacobs was inured in both of those games. The Giants didn't have Plaxico against Seattle, basically didn't play at all in their game against the Steelers, was in for one game against the Cardinals, and didn't play in the win against the Redskins. I understand Burress is missed and the Eagles are a tough opponent and the double team effect isn't there, but in all honesty Jacobs is the BIG difference on this team, not Plaxico.

I am also a bit perturbed that the Titans are ALWAYS the underdog or the team most likely to lose at home when they are consistently winning the big games

Consistently winning the big games? Have they even played a truly "big game" yet this year? Let alone enough of them to say they consistently win them? Their first "big game" came against the Colts in week 8 when Indy was 3-3. The biggest game of the year hype/record wise for them was vs. the Jets and they were beat convincingly.

I don't mean to discredit the Titans' success this year, they had a great regular season, but that's all it was, they really don't have the makings of a reliable top seed.

I am also a bit perturbed that the Titans are ALWAYS the underdog or the team most likely to lose at home when they are consistently winning the big games

Consistently winning the big games? Have they even played a truly "big game" yet this year?

The Steelers game was pretty big as it gave them the #1 seed.

The Steelers game was pretty big as it gave them the #1 seed.

Which (un)fortunately gave them the tougher game this week depending on your point of view. The same thing can be said of the Giants/Panthers game.

The Titans beat the Steelers, the Ravens, and pretty much every other good team on their schedule, save the Texans (decent team who got hot at the wrong time, as usual) and the Colts (which was probably intentional)

Does anyone think the Cardinals have a chance besides me? I haven't read too many people out there thinking that the Cardinals can win, and I think they can. Will they? 50/50. But I think it will be a close game and Arizona can pull it out, depending on if Edge decides to show he can still play or not. I like Arizona's offense better than Carolina's.

Does anyone think the Cardinals have a chance besides me? I haven't read too many people out there thinking that the Cardinals can win, and I think they can. Will they? 50/50.

Some brilliant insight there. You're telling me the Cardinals have a 50/50 chance of winning? Stop everything. Somebody get this guy into the poster tournament now.

They have a 50/50 chance of winning the coin toss since it's luck based. If you think every team has a 50/50 chance of winning a game, you're nuts.

Unless they changed the rules and didn't tell me (or Donovan McNabb) you can only win or lose a playoff game. When there are two outcomes and you're guaranteed one of them then the probability of either one is 50/50. A team can be favored to win, but there's no such thing as an 80/20 chance of victory or defeat.

They have a 50/50 chance of winning the coin toss since it's luck based. If you think every team has a 50/50 chance of winning a game, you're nuts.

Unless they changed the rules and didn't tell me (or Donovan McNabb) you can only win or lose a playoff game. When there are two outcomes and you're guaranteed one of them then the probability of either one is 50/50. A team can be favored to win, but there's no such thing as an 80/20 chance of victory or defeat.

So, you think the 2008 Lions have a 50/50 chance of beating the 2007 Patriots.

Anyways, I didn't mean they had a literal 50/50 chance. I mean the game was a real toss up for me. I didn't know I was being judged on my expert analysis here.

So, you think the 2008 Lions have a 50/50 chance of beating the 2007 Patriots.

Anyways, I didn't mean they had a literal 50/50 chance. I mean the game was a real toss up for me. I didn't know I was being judged on my expert analysis here.

I think the 2007 Pats should win the game but calling a game a pick 'em or a toss up really doesn't mean anything because either team can win any game. See last year's playoffs for an example of a team that no one expected to win a single game run the table.

As a Steelers fan, this upcoming game with SD is giving me vibes about their divisional playoff game with The Jets 4 years ago. It was Big Ben's first postseason game, and he played like utter shit, threw something like 3-4 Ints. In fact, The Jets missed not one, but 2 chances to win the game when their placekicker,(who I guess was normally reliable), missed 2 relatively short FGs'. The Steelers ended up winning that game in OT 20-17. I predict the same score for Sunday's contest.

-Pitt 20-SD 17

-Balt 16.-Tenn.13

-Carolina 38-Arizona 27

-N.Y. Giants 21-Philly 17

I was asking if anyone thought the Cardinals had a chance since a lot of people expect it to be a blowout.

They should have more or less eliminated most "blowout" talk among informed viewers after handling Atlanta. I think they have a great chance at the upset if they continue to get production out of Edge, and, more importantly, if they can play better after traveling to the east coast for once. They lost all 5 east coast games this year, and got absolutely murdered in 3 of them. There seems to be something very wrong with the way they prepare on a long traveling schedule.

They're going against Jake Delhomme, so there is hope. If they shut down DeAngelo Williams like they did Turner, they have a shot.

Baltimore 13-10 over Tennessee. Same score as before, but this time the Ravens are just a tad more manly and get some sort of turnover to win it. It'll be ugly and brutal, but would anyone want it another way?

What the fuck? Are you fucking serious?

When I was like 8-9 I used to believe that everything was 50/50..either it happens or it doesn't. The weather would say there was a 70% chance of rain and I'd get so mad because there were only two possibilities..it would either rain or it wouldn't. 50/50.

Odds and probability are totally different things.

The chance/probability of the Cardinals winning is 50/50. They either win or they don't.

The odds of them winning is a different story as you have to take in other outside factors.

Although it's hard to determine odds because we're dealing with people and talent and such and...erm..

Fuck it...

Odds and probability are totally different things.

No, they're not.

The chance/probability of the Cardinals winning is 50/50. They either win or they don't.

No, it's not.

The odds of them winning is a different story as you have to take in other outside factors.

It's exactly the same.

Although it's hard to determine odds because we're dealing with people and talent and such and...erm..

Fuck it...

Good idea.

There is a difference between probability and odds.

A probability is a number from 0 to 1 inclusive, usually expressed as

a fraction, which is the ratio of the number of chances of a specific

event to the total number of chances possible.

For example, if I have 4 marbles in a jar, 3 red and 1 blue, then the

probability of drawing the blue is 1/4. There is one chance of a blue

marble and 4 total chances (marbles).

Odds are expressed as the number of chances for (or against) versus

the number of chances against (or for). So, since there is 1 chance

of your picking the blue, and 3 chances of your picking red, the odds

are 3 to 1 AGAINST you picking the blue. For odds in favor, we just

reverse them. The odds are 1 to 3 IN FAVOR OF you picking the blue.

If you're going to be so bold and smug about your statements about why I'm wrong, then please give an explanation. Otherwise you just end up looking like another internet forum regular with a false sense of intelligence because your other forum pals automatically denote you to be correct. Which you arent, in this case.

And if you can think of any other outcome for the Cardinals game than Win or Lose/Tie then please tell me. They either win the game, or they don't win the game.

I didn't even get the chance to vote for Roho! And I was the one who started this whole stupid argument. And I'm no math whiz, but it seems fairly obvious that Arizona has a 50% chance of winning their game this weekend. It isn't like, y'know, "will Bob Barron get laid this weekend" where there are all sorts of variables. They will either win or they will lose. Therefore, it's a 50% chance.

That said, I think they're going to get crushed. As much as I fucking hate Carolina, it's been pretty amazing how DeAngelo Williams has emerged this year. Steve Smith is amazing, and maybe the best receiver in the NFL right now. The defense is solid. The only unknown with this team is Delhomme, who can either be really good or unimaginably awful. I don't see Carolina being as jarred to be taken out of their game as Atlanta was, and therefore anticipate a pretty comfortable Panther victory. I actually think these guys are winning the NFC this year, only to lose to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.