TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

TNA Genesis 2009

Looks like a solid show on paper, fortunately TNA isn't just adding more matches just for the sake of being able to give as much talent a ppv cut, as having seven matches here will give the matches more time, hopefully.

*Shane Sewell vs. Sheik Abdul Bashir

(The build for this has been tremendous, but it just as much could fizzle out if these two have a shitty match. Have no idea how good or bad Sewell is in the ring, so we will see how it goes. I'm imagining Bashir wins via some screwjob, as they would probably want this program to continue.)

*Awesome Kong vs. ? for the Knockouts title in a lumberjack match

(It was supposed to be Christy Hemme, but she's out with a bad neck/back or something. Talk is that it will be Taylor taking her spot, which seems obvious that Kong will retain. This would be a good time to really throw a new chick out there and make some sort of waves against Kong, not necessarily beating her, but coming close.)

*Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley for vacant X division title

(Meltzer said they have been told to "go out there and have a long oldschool style X division match" so this might be really good. Not sure what the fallout will be from this, hopefully it doesn't mean the Machine Guns will break up, but it wouldn't surprise me, since Shelley seems to be the one as the heel more than Sabin is.)

*Jay Lethal & Consequences Creed vs. Beer Money vs. Matt Morgan & Abyss for tag titles

(This one is a toss-up who will take this. Beer Money works as champs, but Lethal/Creed may be something they should continue with, also. Can't see anything special about Morgan/Abyss as champs......in fact, I could see Morgan maybe doing a turn here in this match on Abyss)

*Mick Foley & A.J. Styles & Brother Devon vs. Scott Steiner & Kevin Nash & Booker T

(Should be great unintentional comedy to see Nash in there against Foley, might be pretty brutal unless Foley surprises everyone and actually works hard here. But I'm guessing Foley might be a bit green, hence the idea of a six man for his first TNA match. Styles will have to be the anchor and workhorse of this match to make it worthwhile, unless they go ahead and turn this more into a street fight sort of match.)

*Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle

(Their first match was strong, and expecting this to be even better. Expecting some sort of run-in here to cost Jarrett the match, as the rubber match is inevitable here)

*Sting vs. Rhino for TNA title

(Probably more of the same MEM interference, and the continued story of Sting not really feeling it. I don't forsee Sting losing the title here, but he will have the match won thanks to the run-ins, but refuse to beat him in that manner. Then will come extremely close to losing the title, but will pull it off at the end. This might be the match alot won't expect to be much, but could turn out being the match of the night possibly. Something tells me these two will click.)

And while I don't expect it at all, I'm sure we'll here fans in the arena calling for a Ric Flair appearance tonight throughout the show. It would make perfect sense in terms of the Sting storyline right now, but I just don't see it happening at all.

" fortunately TNA isn't just adding more matches just for the sake of being able to give as much talent a ppv cut, as having seven matches here will give the matches more time, hopefully."

Add LAX & Eric Young vs. Rave, Kiyoshi and Dutt in an elimination match.

Which should be a fun little opener with Hernandez throwing people around. That never gets old.

" fortunately TNA isn't just adding more matches just for the sake of being able to give as much talent a ppv cut, as having seven matches here will give the matches more time, hopefully."

Add LAX & Eric Young vs. Rave, Kiyoshi and Dutt in an elimination match.

Which should be a fun little opener with Hernandez throwing people around. That never gets old.

Wow, yeah that is the epitome of "filler" right there. But it is what it is, I guess.

Anywho...

Jarrett/Angle was good last time and this time I'd like to see them up the violence. With the build it's had there should be blood.

Sabin/Shelley should be all kinds of awesome. If they really are going out there to have a real X division match...this should be great.

Shane/Bashir I'm excited for because I've loved the build.

The Tag title match...I have no idea. There are 6 guys working 3 different styles that work in varrying degrees of success with one another.

If Wild replaces Christy against Kong the match will be decent. Hopefully she doesn't win though...

Sting/Rhino isn't being asked to do much...and it likely won't. This doesn't strike me as a match that Sting is going to bust his ass for like he did with Angle, Joe and AJ.

The Foley 6 man will be the most interesting trainwreck of the night. We'll see how well AJ can hold together a match like this.

And that new 6 man should be fun, forgettable popcorn wrestling.

Yeah, I can see the Sting/Rhino match just be more building the storyline more with Sting distancing from the MEM more than anything. However, for the sake of trying to keep the Frontline side strong, I do still think he is going to bust his ass pretty hard against Rhino in there, to try to give him a solid rub. That short non-title match they had against each other on Impact back in late November was way better than it had any right to be.

That match is funny because I like both Sting and Rhino...but I'm just not feeling it when they're combined. It's really weird watching Sting wrestle faces every month. I think that's it.

The ppv lineup would have been a million times stronger if they would have just done Foley/Sting and Jarrett/Angle on top and put Rhino in Foley's spot in the six man. Hopefully a double main event such as that will end up happening next month or something.

Also, wondering what Samoa Joe's role will be tonight. It almost has to be a lock he does something here tonight. Maybe I am just forgetting something, but I swear there was an angle they filmed at the last Orlando tapings that had him run out and make the save for the Frontline. Was this even ever aired? Then again maybe it never even happened?

I wouldn't think Foley will wrestle again until one of the "big" TNA ppvs like Lockdown, Slammiversary or BFG. Although probably before BFG.

I want Jarrett to get a title shot at Slammiversary. There's a random thought.

They almost surely will do KOTM there, though. Having Jarrett in that match, though, makes total sense.

Going back quick to the Samoa Joe stuff.....

They did in fact take out an angle from the Impact tapings, for the show that aired last Thursday. Here is what went down from the spoilers posted weeks ago.

Jarrett grabbed a mic and cut a promo on Angle after MEM left and Foley did the same about the others. (This was when they ended Impact). This led them all back to the ring where a brawl occurred. Samoa Joe then came to the ring from the crowd (arm in a sling) with a baton and drove the MEM off.

Why in the world did they edit this out? I'm guessing for the inevitable Joe run-in tonight to have more meaning?

I see Rhino beating Sting to win the TNA title and Angle beating Jarrett so that Angle gets a shot at Rhino next month, wins the belt, and then we see the big angle where they kick Sting out of the MEM over his losing the TNA title to Rhino. This would at least give the TNA babyface team some in-ring star power and get Sting out of a heel role that he never wanted and never even attempted to get into. Of course, this is going by what makes sense, and while TNA usually do the exact opposite of that, this particular angle has been treated differently.

He should run in and take out the Frontline. Then cut a promo about how ever since they banded together all he does is lose and get his arm broken. Then he and AJ can have great matches...and he can stop being a fucking loser.

I could see him being the guy who actually comes out during Angle/Jarrett as the guy who costs Jarrett the match to be honest. Joe definately does need to go heel as there is really no option anymore if you ask me.

OR

As someone mentioned somewhere else in the TNA folder, have MEM take out D-Von during the ppv and before the six man, and Joe then takes D-Vons place and Frontline dominates that match. Nash/Joe then gets booked next month, Joe goes over strong, and then who knows. Rebuilding of Joe as a face is desperately needed, or else a heel turn.

I think he's dead as a face. He should also beat the fuck out of Sting every single night until he loses the title because he can't get a title shot while Sting has it. That's how you rebuild Joe. Just have his character start doing things that make sense.

I see Rhino beating Sting to win the TNA title and Angle beating Jarrett so that Angle gets a shot at Rhino next month, wins the belt, and then we see the big angle where they kick Sting out of the MEM over his losing the TNA title to Rhino. This would at least give the TNA babyface team some in-ring star power and get Sting out of a heel role that he never wanted and never even attempted to get into. Of course, this is going by what makes sense, and while TNA usually do the exact opposite of that, this particular angle has been treated differently.

Sting could still remain champion and turn face again, there's nothing nonsensical about that. Sting just leaves the MEM on his own terms instead of them "kicking him out." In fact, dare I say shifting the belt from Rhino to Angle and then to, conceivably, Jarrett, tends to be much more ridiculous then just letting Sting keep the belt until a change of champion is really warranted.

He should run in and take out the Frontline. Then cut a promo about how ever since they banded together all he does is lose and get his arm broken. Then he and AJ can have great matches...and he can stop being a fucking loser.

A broken arm doesn't heal that quickly. He needs to be in a sling for a few weeks on tv or something.

As a funny side note...did anyone listen to the Foley interview on WOL? He mentioned how when he signed with TNA he told Spike (who pays part of his contract) that tag matches were probably more his speed at this point (hence this 6 man). But then he said that he knows the day is coming where he's going to have to look across the ring and see Angle staring back at him for a one on one... It was hilarious listen to him try and figure out how he was going to keep up with Angle who works fast and hard every match at this stage of his career. Not something he seems to be looking forward to. He's gonna have to get into ring shape.

Sting could still remain champion and turn face again, there's nothing nonsensical about that. Sting just leaves the MEM on his own terms instead of them "kicking him out." In fact, dare I say shifting the belt from Rhino to Angle and then to, conceivably, Jarrett, tends to be much more ridiculous then just letting Sting keep the belt until a change of champion is really warranted.

MEM kicking Sting out of the group gives them far more heat than Sting leaving on his own. The fans still love Sting and having MEM kick him out, for reasons that the are clearly unfair, not only puts heat on MEM but makes Sting a sympathetic babyface.

As a funny side note...did anyone listen to the Foley interview on WOL? He mentioned how when he signed with TNA he told Spike (who pays part of his contract) that tag matches were probably more his speed at this point (hence this 6 man). But then he said that he knows the day is coming where he's going to have to look across the ring and see Angle staring back at him for a one on one... It was hilarious listen to him try and figure out how he was going to keep up with Angle who works fast and hard every match at this stage of his career. Not something he seems to be looking forward to. He's gonna have to get into ring shape.

I wonder how long they can hold out on Angle/Foley anyway?

Ultimately, Foley's first singles matches should be against Angle, Joe, and Sting seperately. Anything else with him in a singles match is going to be a mistake. Long term maybe a Foley/Jarrett match, but something about that just sounds really horrible to me.

Anyone like me and only watching the PPV on Justin.tv or some other stream?

I think the Sting/MEM storyline ends with Sting choosing to leave and denouncing their ways while earning respect for Joe/AJ and the Frontline. The perfect way to do it is to have Sting (still champion) tell them that he disagrees with them and that he's choosing to leave amicably...and then after shaking their hands to go his own way Angle and crew destroy him from behind. Everyone gets the right kind of heat there.

I wonder how long they can hold out on Angle/Foley anyway?

Ultimately, Foley's first singles matches should be against Angle, Joe, and Sting seperately. Anything else with him in a singles match is going to be a mistake. Long term maybe a Foley/Jarrett match, but something about that just sounds really horrible to me.

He should work Sting first. They're styles will mesh better than the other 2.

Anyone like me and only watching the PPV on Justin.tv or some other stream?

I have someone coming over to watch it so I had to order it. I'll be in another room for the show so I'll give my comments afterwards. Keep the thread going though!

MEM kicking Sting out of the group gives them far more heat than Sting leaving on his own. The fans still love Sting and having MEM kick him out, for reasons that the are clearly unfair, not only puts heat on MEM but makes Sting a sympathetic babyface.

Eh, we'll agree to disagree on that one. Sting needs to get his proverbial "babyface backbone" back again and is slowly building towards doing so with the way this angle is being played out. Having MEM being the ones to tell him he's out of the group doesn't make sense in how Sting is being built here. What makes sense is for him to finally have enough and just leave the group when he decides the MEM are losing perspective on the respect/dignity issue that he always makes a point of. He doesn't need the sympathy heat from a beatdown, really......we're beyond that with a guy like Sting. Let the MEM do that AFTER Sting walks away from them. And having them kick him out because he lost the title to Rhino actually gives the heels some sort of legitimate merit to do so, since it really does make Sting look weak to lose to a guy like Rhino in the first place.

That's probably because Mick still doesn't trust Angle, after stiffing him and taking him down shoot style during the WWE vs ECW angle in 2006. Mick said he would never really trust Angle again after that.

How about if MEM try to interfere to help Sting but it backfires and costs him the title? The MEM can still get angry with Sting losing the belt and beat him up to turn him back babyface, but this way, Sting, the babyface, looks even more righteous because the interference he was always against proved to be what costs him the title, and it's shown that his attitude was the right one all along, because the MEM attitude is what really cost them the title.

Eh, we'll agree to disagree on that one. Sting needs to get his proverbial "babyface backbone" back again and is slowly building towards doing so with the way this angle is being played out. Having MEM being the ones to tell him he's out of the group doesn't make sense in how Sting is being built here. What makes sense is for him to finally have enough and just leave the group when he decides the MEM are losing perspective on the respect/dignity issue that he always makes a point of. He doesn't need the sympathy heat from a beatdown, really......we're beyond that with a guy like Sting. Let the MEM do that AFTER Sting walks away from them. And having them kick him out because he lost the title to Rhino actually gives the heels some sort of legitimate merit to do so, since it really does make Sting look weak to lose to a guy like Rhino in the first place.

Sting leaving MEM gives TNA a few different storyline options here.

1. Sting realizes he was wrong and sides with the Frontline and makes it official by taking out the Mafia.

2. The Mafia kicks Sting out of the group and the Frontline takes him on their side but doesn't trust him which leads to Sting trying to gain their trust.

3. Sting leaves the Mafia only to become loner Sting again making badass rafter descending drop ins and doing the handing of the bat to see which side hits him first and cutting bad ass promos with a vulture and a little kid speaking about who he is.

How about if MEM try to interfere to help Sting but it backfires and costs him the title? The MEM can still get angry with Sting losing the belt and beat him up to turn him back babyface, but this way, Sting, the babyface, looks even more righteous because the interference he was always against proved to be what costs him the title, and it's shown that his attitude was the right one all along, because the MEM attitude is what really cost them the title.

That's a little more acceptable, but again, having him lose the belt to Rhino of all people is pretty counterproductive, then building to a match that has never drawn any interest in Angle/Rhino once again. Then Angle as champ? No thanks.

I think that story could be played out with Sting as you suggested, only when Sting is facing a more suitable guy to get the title from him.