TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

The current economy

It's no secret that these are challenging times. You can't turn on the news or read the paper without hearing about economic and employment woes and other troubles. But we've also seen some early indicators that things may be looking up. It may take awhile, but better days are ahead. Meanwhile, we'll do our best to help you get maximum value for your money now. We've unearthed a winning combination of rebates, price drops, and free gear deals — sometimes all three at once! That means there's never been a better time to buy gear at Sweetwater. Take advantage of these special offers!

Cheap food is not healthy food
This statement is generally true, particularly in regard to wheat-based products. But, healthy food is not necessarily all that expensive.

Every day, I consume the same healthy, nutritionally balanced, delicious, 3440-Calorie diet that includes 'expensive' sashimi. I'm going to calculate the (approximate) cost per week right now.

* 5 gallons of orange juice @ $6.49 per gallon = $32.45

* .25 liters of olive oil @ $39.22 per 3 liters = $3.27

* 98 cubes of sugar @ $1.39 per 126 cubes = $1.08

* 14 oz of organic Medjool dates @ $5.99 per 12 oz = $6.99

* 1.5 cups of organic raisins @ $5.09 per 3 cups = $2.55

* 4 lb of Roma tomatoes @ $1.49 per lb = $5.96

* 14 oz of salmon sashimi @ $75.58 per 64 oz = $16.53

* 7.5 lb of bananas @ $0.69 per lb = $5.18

* 7 oz of organic coconut oil @ $11.29 per 14 oz = $5.65

* 7 yolks of cage-free, ω−3 eggs @ $3.27 per dozen = $1.91

Total cost for one week = $81.57. It's totally worth it for the improved physical fitness, disappearance of physical ailments, improved mental clarity, and happier mood.

If it weren't for the salmon and eggs, I'd think you'd be a pony with all them dates and sugar cubes.

I never quite understood why people buy salad dressing (ranch excepted because it takes a little bit of time and ingredients to make) when you can have a perfectly good vinaigrette using ingredients you should have at home to begin with anyways.

I prefer mixed baby greens to lettuce, though.

Makes me wonder if I'm the only one here who just eats a plain salad. None of this pansy dressing shit, just my greens, 'matoes, olives, onions, and shrooms.

Guest Vitamin X

I like dressing because it (and excuse my food snobbery coming into play here) "holds" the salad together, keeping one nice, balanced flavor in tone while each bite should have something different- a different vegetable, some cheese, maybe some more greens- that's what I like about salads.

Although I should mention also that I've been broke like hell this past month and haven't been able to afford much outside of just greens and onions (which I use for other purposes), so dressing is kind of essential.

Now I will make my own salad toppings (crushed lemon peppered roasted almonds... Ecstasy). But I've never just been a guy for dressings, oils, vinegars, etc. on my salad. Maybe a touch of thousand island on the rare occasion.

Guest Vitamin X

I could probably see that being good, especially like if you do it how you said with all the different ingredients and such in the salad. However, the dressing just works great for me as seasoning too.

Guest Vitamin X

Just got an e-mail newsletter from Trader Joes advertising "10 [meals] in 10 [minutes] for around $10" that they have there. For anyone out there who still likes eating fairly well, but not spending too much money, TJ's is pretty much one of the best places to go, even if their veggies and all that are mostly not local and their meats are outsourced/frozen, not always fresh.

Attached the "menu" for fun.

Guest Vitamin X

We have the same deal going on down here in Portland. Don't know if it's just a Pacific Northwest thing though.

Yeah I saw the commercial on the Seattle FOX affiliate (and what kind of cheap ass station is this that their news isn't in HD?) but I haven't seen it on any of the local US stations.

NEW YORK (AFP) – US fast-food giant McDonald's said Monday its 2008 net profit soared 80 percent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession.

Net profit for the full year totaled 4.3 billion dollars, compared with 2.3 billion in 2007, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said in a statement.

NEW YORK (AFP) – US fast-food giant McDonald's said Monday its 2008 net profit soared 80 percent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession.

Net profit for the full year totaled 4.3 billion dollars, compared with 2.3 billion in 2007, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said in a statement.

I don't have a family to feed, but let's say it costs, eating all .99 cent burgers and fries, 12 bucks for a family of four to eat at McDonald's. (Six burgers, four fries, tax). Could a traditional meal for a family of four really cost that much? On the other hand, I mentioned to my Dad last week, who's equally hooked on Hot n Ready from Little Caesars, that I couldn't get three meals from the grocery store for seven dollars. (Three slices for dinner, two for lunch, three for dinner, and some cola).

I don't have a family to feed, but let's say it costs, eating all .99 cent burgers and fries, 12 bucks for a family of four to eat at McDonald's. (Six burgers, four fries, tax). Could a traditional meal for a family of four really cost that much? On the other hand, I mentioned to my Dad last week, who's equally hooked on Hot n Ready from Little Caesars, that I couldn't get three meals from the grocery store for seven dollars. (Three slices for dinner, two for lunch, three for dinner, and some cola).

It would be cheaper for a family of 4 to just buy hamburger meat, buns, bag of chips and soda at the store. McDonald's profits are soring more likely due to the single individual. A person can go there and get 2-3 dollars worth of food which would fill them up.

Guest Vitamin X

A bag of chips doesn't measure up to french fries. A bag of potatoes though- cheap and it'll do the trick.

And who wants a big ol' MomBurger anyways, big ol' patty stuffed with peppers and onions all sticking out and stuff.

Guest Vitamin X

Apparently I'm the only one here who's seen Eddie Murphy's "Raw".

"We got McDooooonalds Yeah yeah"

I've been meaning to post this for a while but, Xavier Cromartie, don't you get sick of eating the same stuff everyday?

No, not at all, but I understand that other people would prefer a variety. I could fulfill my nutritional needs with even less variety by cutting out things like raisins and bananas, but I like them enough and they're cheap. Dates could go too, but I love them so much that I'd never give them up. Everything that I eat tastes good, and so there's no desire to 'cheat.'

I like not having to deal with figuring out what to eat, not having to waste time cooking/preparing, not succumbing to addictions, having a consistent food budget, and making only one trip per week for food. This way, there's no stress.

I eat this way for both my current self and my future self. I've lost 15 lb and noticeably improved my energy levels and mental sharpness. But, I also have the confidence of knowing that I won't be fat and dying of heart disease when I'm 70. I should feel about as good as I do now. My goal is to live to see the year 2100. (I'll be 117 that year.)