TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Overseas Folder

What should happen with the Wrestling Folders?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen with the folders?

• Merge Overseas/Independent with TNA
    • Merge Overseas/Independent with General Wrestling
    • Delete Overseas/Independent, merge TNA with General Wrestling
    • Get rid of any non-WWE discussion and make it just WWE, MMA, and Other
    • Replace the entire wrestling section with a picture of La Parka

Well...

It's no secret that the time has passed for Overseas and Indies to have their owner folder. There's just not enough activity left to support it. Should we merge it with TNA (although I guess TNA is a step above an indie), throw it to General, keep it or just jettison it altogether?

It should be merged with General Wrestling.

TNA should have its own folder, since it's become an established brand- they have a two hour weekly show, monthly PPVs, etc.

The only thing really to discuss would be the random Puro threads, and when someone starts a thread about an ROH show, and that would work fine in General.

I agree with Bob. Overseas and indie stuff should fall under the blanket of "General" anyways. That sort of screws with my dream of that folder becoming an exclusive for Old School talk, but that has been dying since the WWE 24/7 subfolder headed off to WWE land.

More than likely the random Puro and ROH stuff will just get lost in the shuffle. That's a shame for those guys who follow it, but how many people are we talking here?

Guest Vitamin X

Seems like there was a discussion brought up in the poster tournament (of all places) regarding the general lack of use in the "Overseas/Independent" folder, and how that might be merged with either the TNA folder or the General Wrestling folder. Now I'm always all for having less wrestling folders/minimizing those sections and creating a better user experience here on TSM, and since I don't profess to be any sort of wrestling expert (I think the only time I've posted there in the past 5-6 years or so was during the brief invasion of the bottom boarders of the Wrestling folder in the Benoit thread), but everyone seems to agree there needs to be some changes made. Here are a couple arguments from that thread:

He is right on one thing. We don't need an Overseas/Indies folder. It should be merged with TNA.

It was more for discussing indie promotions. We probably don't need that one anymore, since a lot of the indie posters have moved on, and not many people talk about ROH anymore. We could probably move that to General Wrestling

Combine Indy, Japan and TNA as Non-Titan Wrestling (only with a better name), keep general for historical analysis and discussion.

Yeah, as one of the more respectable posters in the top half of the board, I've always advocated for the assimilation of The Overseas/Indy Folder into The TNA or General folders.

Given that TNA is its own thing (2-hour show, monthly PPV, etc), I feel overseas/indy would be more suited for the General folder.

Given the nature of the argument, I'll go ahead and make a poll of it, but take into account whatever discussion comes up in this thread. Obviously 909 or Venkman might be better suited to make the final call on what happens there, but I figured we'd get the ball rolling here. What do you guys think?

Sorry man. Someone making a call to improve the forums is like my bat signal: I can't help myself from interfering. I guess this is the tiring junior-mod schtick that everyone rails me on.

Can you add your poll back to this thread? I liked your set-up better than mine.

Guest Vitamin X

There you go.

(and by the way, the last option probably won't be taken seriously; I just put it there for compulsive voters who can't resist a good poll)

After some deliberation, I went for the fourth option. Keep WWE and MMA and throw everything else under the banner of General. Make that a catch-all thread for old school discussion, TNA and other assorted stuff. That probably won't be a popular option, but I think it makes the most sense given where these forums are going. But then again, I like an active folder and don't really feel the need to keep certain things around for posterity' sake (looking at you, Comics thread).

I don't like the idea of putting them all in General, because that folder would just end up being a junk drawer. You'd have all the old school people, the TNA fans, the puro fans, and whoever else frequents the overseas folder trying to coexist, and that's just not very appealing. General Wrestling is perfectly fine just the way it is, there's still a decent amount of discussion even with the 24/7 subfolder moved over to the WWE folder (which I still don't really get, but that's fine).

Personally, I don't see why Overseas/Independent needs to go anywhere, but given a choice, I'd just create an "Other feds" folder that encompasses everything but WWE.

Personally, I don't see why Overseas/Independent needs to go anywhere, but given a choice, I'd just create an "Other feds" folder that encompasses everything but WWE.

It doesn't have to go anywhere, but the whole folder has only received four replies in the past week. This thread alone has doubled that count in the last twenty minutes. I am against giving that folder a prime spot at the top of the board when nobody uses it at all. As much as I disdain mega-threads, would having a single thread for Overseas and Indies in the General folder be that bad? I can't see it be any worse for those posters who actually want to discuss that subject matter.

As much as I disdain mega-threads, would having a single thread for Overseas and Indies in the General folder be that bad? I can't see it be any worse for those posters who actually want to discuss that subject matter.

That's a terrific idea. I can't see it getting any more traffic than, say, the Old School Questions Thread.

After some deliberation, I went for the fourth option. Keep WWE and MMA and throw everything else under the banner of General. Make that a catch-all thread for old school discussion, TNA and other assorted stuff. That probably won't be a popular option, but I think it makes the most sense given where these forums are going. But then again, I like an active folder and don't really feel the need to keep certain things around for posterity' sake (looking at you, Comics thread).

TNA still does a fair amount of traffic, and it's the #2 wrestling fed out there. It should be kept as its own folder.

Throw everything into General.

much as I disdain mega-threads, would having a single thread for Overseas and Indies in the General folder be that bad?

I never got how you can claim to disdain mega-threads, yet you created the MLB Offseason Thread, which is a megathread.

General Wrestling is perfectly fine just the way it is, there's still a decent amount of discussion even with the 24/7 subfolder moved over to the WWE folder

Can a mod/admin please explain this? I loved having it in the General Wrestling folder, since it fit the folder's discussion aim more, and you had a core group of posters.

It was moved to the WWE folder despite zero people asking for it, with no reason given besides we wanted to.

It should be moved back, since no one wanted it moved in the first place.

WWE

TNA

Gen Wrestling with a 24-7 subfolder.

MMA

Everyone wins!

When I was a wrestling mod, I planned revampings of the wrestling section folder by folder. The long-term plan was to create a Classic Wrestling folder and have all historical chit-chat go there. TNA, International and Indies would have a folder, and the WWE Folder would remain independent. If it involved someone currently with WWE, I would think it could be discussed in the WWE Folder, whether it happened 6 years ago or not. If it didn't really have anything to do with the current product, posters could feel free to post it in the Classic Folder instead. TNA, International and Indies is fairly self-explanatory.

It was a really good idea to add that La Parka option. It has more votes than all four other options combined.

Let's look at this situation from a different angle. If we were starting a brand new board with the existing members, what sort of wrestling folders would we need to satisfy their needs? My gut says WWE and Other would be all you need, but I don't know for sure. I guess what I am trying to say is don't look at it from what we have, think about what we actually need.

If we were starting a brand new board with the existing members, what sort of wrestling folders would we need to satisfy their needs? My gut says WWE and Other would be all you need, but I don't know for sure. I guess what I am trying to say is don't look at it from what we have, think about what we actually need.

But we're not though. I think a lot of people like having a seperate folder to discuss the TNA product, and it would be a mistake for it to be paired with a folder primarily discussing old school wrestling. One more folder doesn't hurt anyone.

If it involved someone currently with WWE, I would think it could be discussed in the WWE Folder, whether it happened 6 years ago or not.

Don't agree with this at all. It muddles up the folder

Guest Czech please!
invasion of the bottom boarders

I feel like this should be a movie, but I don't want to see it.

I really hope one day I wake up, click on the WWE folder to be met with just a picture of La Parka

This is going to happen when I learn how to do it.

Like I said in the Poster Tourney, I'd go WWE, Other, General (as Historical), MMA.

Bob can point out all TNA's stuff, but really the folder itself doesn't generate much action outside of show threads. It's not like there's really a ton of avid discussion about angles for the most part, like there is in the WWE folder. Why not just have the occasional ROH thread, or Puro thread in there as well?

A lot of TNA's roster doubles up in ROH, other indies, and does tours in Japan. TNA itself cross-promoted with New Japan, it's a logical merger.

Vince has his world, then there's the rest of the wrestling world at large.

Do eet.

Although I'd get up and dance if it all became La Parka.

Bob can point out all TNA's stuff, but really the folder itself doesn't generate much action outside of show threads. It's not like there's really a ton of avid discussion about angles for the most part, like there is in the WWE folder. Why not just have the occasional ROH thread, or Puro thread in there as well?

TNA's established itself as a national wrestling brand, and I think should be given its own folder.

A lot of TNA's roster doubles up in ROH, other indies, and does tours in Japan. TNA itself cross-promoted with New Japan, it's a logical merger.

Not really. At this point, TNA and ROH have seperate rosters, except for the occasional one shot. Puro/ROH can work in General Wrestling, since we're just talking about wrestling, in general.

Seriously, move the 24/7 Folder to General and I wouldn't mind this change becoming permanent.

Anyone? Why was it moved in the first place. Why did no one address the objection that most people had when the move was made?