TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

What will be the worst movie of 2009?

At least the Mortal Kombat franchise was able to put out one good movie.

Wait....whut?

What? The first MK movie was decent enough. The second one, however, was the definition of the word "clusterfuck"

Got a feeling that GI Joe will be a strong contender.

-You know fans going in are turned off by the lack of "America" references and the fact that the Joes are now a global force. And before anyone says "This is GI Joe vs. Cobra" go back and look at what the line, comic book and cartoon are titled: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero.

-Part of the charm of the Joes vs. Cobra was the fact that the Joes weren't all in the same uniform. To say nothing about the fact that it set them apart from the totalitarian terrorist force that was Cobra. Now I know they are making a live action movie and not a cartoon, but there is a way to do it without the Joes coming off as the same.

-They could suffer the problem of trying to cram, and service, too many characters into the movie. That is always a problem when adapting "large teams" onto the big screen.

Guest Smues
So wait, they actually

set up a sequel by saying that there's a fighting tournament, and Ryu is in it, and that Bison is behind it, and they instead for a reboot of the franchise, make a horrible movie about Chun-Li??? What the hell were they thinking?

Yeah, but given that it this couldn't even make $5 million this weekend I wouldn't expect to see that sequel.

Guest Smues

Wait....whut?

The first Mortal Kombat is on my short list of videogame movies that aren't awful, and even shorter list of video game movies that were actually good.

Wait....whut?

The first Mortal Kombat is on my short list of videogame movies that aren't awful, and even shorter list of video game movies that were actually good.

The first MK movie was pretty good for a videogame movie and it did well in the box office. I believe it was the #1 movie in the country for 4 weeks in a row from August to September of 1995. The movie did 70 million domestic and 120 total for 1995.

So wait, they actually

set up a sequel by saying that there's a fighting tournament, and Ryu is in it, and that Bison is behind it, and they instead for a reboot of the franchise, make a horrible movie about Chun-Li??? What the hell were they thinking?

Yeah, but given that it this couldn't even make $5 million this weekend I wouldn't expect to see that sequel.

Well, I didn't expect a sequel to happen at all either, but I'm surprised the studio did. But then again, they apparently expected this to make about $60 million, so obviously they didn't know better.

I didn't realize the SF movie had NO Ryu and Ken at all (I've never bothered looking at a cast list). I also read they have a movie in store for them if this "is a success" which sounds like a cheap ploy to me.

The first movie should lead to a tournament, which is what they should have done in the first place.

"This guy walks through the raindrops," gets my vote for most cringe-worthy line so far this year.

The problem with making a Steet Fighter movie is that the games themself never really had a deep storyline. Which is why they're doing a spin off of sorts making it about Chun Li.

At least the first one had Jean Claude Van Dam and that guy from The Adams Family. This new one has Chris Klien.

You know, the Dragonball movie will be awful. Especially if it's a totally different story than the anime.

But, the dub was so pathetically bad and changed so many lines, character motivations and actions that it came across as a totally different show too.

Right now, Street Fighter has the honor of being the worst and in the process, it was able to be even worse than MK: Annihilation. I didn't think that was possible. I was right with my prediction that Van Damme's Street Fighter was better. I'm not joking. At least that film had the freaking costumes and some funny parts!

As for The Flop of Chun-Li, I just saw the film after an illegal download. Where do I begin?

- BISON JUST KILLS CHUN LI'S DAD BY BREAKING HIS NECK IN FRONT OF HER EYES WHILE SHE'S TIED UP? AND HER DAD NOT STRUGGLING TO FIGHT BACK? THAT'S SO FU**ING ANTI-CLIMATIC FOR A DEATH THAT IS SIGNIFICANT TO THE STREET FIGHTER STORY!

- Why couldn't the writers just have some cheesy ass fight scene with Bison and Chun Li's father where Bison kills him as Chun Li watched his dad being beaten to a pulp?

- Vega is cool, but he's only in the film for a brief cup of coffee and never re-appears, nothing, it's like "Here's your damn Vega Vs. Chun Li fight, happy fanboys?" Vega is a total jobber in the film.

- Apparently, Chun Li was experimenting with possible lesbian tendencies as a youngster. So that's why we never hear anything about her hooking with with Ryu outside of fanfiction!

- Chris Klein is so wooden as an actor that I think the termites ate his brain. His Charlie is obnoxious, can't keep a straight face, and seems like he's only there to get laid half the time. And Maya.... I mean, Crimson Viper doesn't look like the MILF the game made her out to be, Hell, the movie's implying that her daughter might be Charlie's bastard child by the way they act around each other.

- Although the whole idea that Rose is Bison's good side because she's his daughter is kind of cool, the result of her reveal is an afterthought. Hell, there's a scene where Bison's talking to her, but she's all like "Hey, you may have killed my mom, but I still love you daddy!" Talk about bad writing brought together by a girl with bad acting skills as "The White Rose".

- And the writers have no concept of the characters.....Gen does not throw fireballs. I REPEAT, GEN DOES NOT THROW FIREBALLS!

Seriously, this movie never made me rage so damn hard! They weren't even trying with this one. Fu** this movie, fu** it to Hell! I'm glad this movie has a 00% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

At least Uwe Boll can sleep at night knowing he didn't direct this piece of crap.

Wait....whut?

The first MK movie was pretty good for a videogame movie and it did well in the box office. I believe it was the #1 movie in the country for 4 weeks in a row from August to September of 1995. The movie did 70 million domestic and 120 total for 1995.

I don't grade on a curve for video game movies, since they're usually made by the exact same people who make non-video game movies.

The first Mortal Kombat was enjoyable trash, indeed better than most other video game movies. Good enough if you were a young teenage boy who's a fan of the games, as I was at the time. As for that guy's other movies, well, let's just say that out of everything Paul W.S. Anderson has ever made, I think I actually liked MK the best. What a hack that guy is.

Guest Smues

SF is somehow up to 6% on RT because two critics gave it fresh reviews. DAMNIT. I wanted the zero movie!

SF is somehow up to 6% on RT because two critics gave it fresh reviews. DAMNIT. I wanted the zero movie!

Probably the same 2 idiots that gave Wall-E bad reviews. Some critics will go against the grain so people will want to read their 2 cents.

You can't grade Mortal Kombat that badly. It's essentially a super-powered remake of Enter the Dragon with the video game characters (And really, wasn't that what the video game was supposed to be, anyways?). I felt it was enjoyable, if pretty simple.

I agree. The first MK is a decent martial arts flick with some fantasy thrown in. Annihilation though, is TRASH. It's not even a "so bad, it's still funny to watch" film. It really has no redeeming qualities.

Though Paul W.S. Anderson has made some turds, at least Mortal Kombat, and Event Horizon are enjoyable. Event Horizon was supposedly MUCH more gory and violent than it ended up being, but the majority of the footage had to be cut from the film, and was never preserved, and likely lost forever. There were a couple scenes that were luckily preserved, and ended up on the Special Edition DVD re-release, but aside from that, any of the other cut footage is gone forever.

Am I the only guy who didn't like Event Horizon? Aside from just never enjoying Anderson's ADD style of directing and poor dialogue, it felt just way too damn similar to way too damn many other movies. It was freely ripping off stuff from Solaris to Hellraiser to countless haunted-house movies. And if you go back and watch it now, good lord those mid-90s computer effects do not age well at all.

Guest Smues

I didn't like it either. It was one of those movies where I'd almost completely forgotten what I had watched by the time the ending credits popped up. And I was completely surprise to find out it had this cult following.

Guest Smues

But unlike Raul Julia this wasn't an enjoyable hammed up performance. It was more of a 'stare at the train wreck' hamming it up.

And really, take Nash's whole role out of the movie and you wouldn't feel like the movie was missing anything.

Okay having watched that series of clips....that wasn't so bad. It was more of a guy that just sucks rather than something I laughed out loud watching. It would be like if Jason Lee tried to play a bad ass in a movie.

I tried to watch that youtube clip but I had to check out at "this man walks thru the raindrops"... I mean, seriously? Seriously?!

HE WALKS THRU THE FUCKING RAINDROPS?!?

I..I don't know what else to really say. There's a rant about how some high school drama nerd could write better.. or that Schaivo even in her last days could've mumbled out a better script but...I.. I'm done.

Any line can work if it's spoken well. "I walk between the raindrops" is a line from Tom Waits' song "And the Earth Died Screaming", and it doesn't sound quite so goofy there.

Chris Klein is no Tom Waits

Chris Klein wishes he could be as intellectually mature as Tom & Jerry, let alone Tom Waits.

Just got back from seeing Knowing. Add it to the pool of contenders. I don't know if I'd rate it worse than Street Fighter, I'll have to give that some thought. No way I watch both of them again anytime soon though, so I'll only be able to judge from the initial viewings. What a pile of crap this film was. I think I'll elaborate later today, I need to go to bed.

Phew what a pile of shit though, and I don't forsee 2012 being able to take the title of 'worst end of the world' movie for the year.